Scratching the itch in the northtowns

More
7 years 2 months ago #39000 by The Todd-ler
The Todd-ler replied the topic: Re: Scratching the itch in the northtowns
Move back to the Southtowns!

I grew up in North Amherst so I know what I am talkin' bout- the South is way better. Trails are nearby, the roads are practically traffic free, and there are actually hills around here! The schools are just as good, some better. Social experience is comparable unless you are college age.
Flat road rides in Tonawanda ain't gonna make you much stronger btw.

2008 Asheville MVP. J2DB. Ride Matador Fiore Ride! El Nino! ONE GEAR TO RULE THEM ALLâ„¢

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #38998 by skidder
skidder replied the topic: Re: Scratching the itch in the northtowns
Get a road bike and do some group rides.
It will keep you in shape, and that`s 90% of mountainbike riding anyway.

More
7 years 2 months ago #38997 by pmac225
pmac225 replied the topic: Re: Scratching the itch in the northtowns
Yea, Unfortunately there is not much up this way. There is the trail along the top of the gorge which you mentioned and an out and back downhill starting at the geological museum. A little(very little at Buckhorn St Park. If you want to cross the border, the Bruce trail starts at the Brock monument just across the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge. Unfortunately, not much else.

More
7 years 2 months ago #38995 by drabb
drabb created the topic: Scratching the itch in the northtowns
Here's a general question for all of you of the dirt-persuasion: what things are there to do to keep a mountain biker contented in the north towns of Buffalo?

I have spent the last couple of years in East Aurora, where I took access to nice singletrack for granted. I now spend the majority of my time in Tonawanda. These places are like polar opposites - as far as recreation is concerned.

I used to be able to leave my garage, on bike, be at Hunters 25 minutes later, bleed some PSI from the tires and hit the trail. These days it's more like load everything in the truck (20 minutes), drive out (40 minutes), prep (10 minutes), ride (3 minutes), and drive back (40 minutes).

I've done the whole river-path thing, rode some of the gorge trails around the Niagara River, and tooled around connecting side-streets to accumulate mileage - but we all know there's no substitute for a sweet ribbon of dirt.

So what's a good diversion in northern Erie/Niagara county? Is there any? Suck it up? Start memorizing the mile markers on the 219?

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.371 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.