Allegany State Park Trail Conditions

More
7 years 11 months ago #29492 by velociped jones
velociped jones replied the topic: Re: Allegany State Park Trail Conditions
excellent* skiing conditions. you don't have to pay to get into the park (gov. dave has my vote). the park is absolutely beautiful. skied christian, sweetwater, leonard and ridge/patterson in a clockwise fashion. if you don't have time to do all the trails, definitely do leonard. super long lines.
the only wildlife i saw were some small birds. couldn't tell if they were nuthatches or woodpeckers.
lotsa people on the trails of vastly different athletic ability and temperament. i slept in and farted around the house for a bit, thus guaranteeing a late start. a late start makes for a late finish. all the snow in the trees starts to block out the light as the sun gets low and it was really starting to get dark as i finished up. created a little bit of that ol' "jack nicholson caught in the snow maze" feeling during the march up patterson.
the asterix at the top is there because patterson was totally trashed (at least ski-wise) by some human paraquat on snowmobiles. trails were damaged from where ridge runs into patterson almost all the way up to summit.
stopped at eddy's for a bacon and egg sandwich. the bacon really makes the sandwich.
stopped at ebc for an amber ale and some football. bought a six pack of pale ale to bring home.

Velociped Jones is the future of racing and he was a P to A spawnling.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #28918 by twright
twright replied the topic: Re: Allegany State Park Trail Conditions
rode 11/9, started from camp allegany, they worked on 1st section of Patternson about .6 miles up with a bull dozer, not much fun,

but once past that, not bad, of course leaf covered, but not in too bad of shape, mud areas here and there, where they are most of the year. went past 3 hunters as they were walking in, they were pleasant, i probably helped flush things out a bit.
Bova a bit nerve raking. (always is for me).

More
8 years 3 months ago #27622 by velociped jones
trails were ridden in 32x11-34 gearing wednesday and thursday clockwise in raccoon rally style starting and finishing at camp allegany:
snowsnake: wet but rideable. couldn't climb the first hill in my 32t on either day.
sweetwater: wet but rideable. there's a blowdown toward the end that i almost got over.
christian: wet but rideable.
leonard and ridge: not that wet and very rideable.
downhill from the leanto to bova: the leanto has been demolished. it's in pieces. the mudpit before the jumping rock is pretty muddy but there's definitely at least one good line leading to the rock (i don't recall braking).
bova: great fun.

More
8 years 5 months ago #27056 by velociped jones
patterson: wet in spots with some blowdown from saturday's storm.
the snake: was off the bike twice on the first climb while in the 32t ring. wet in spots but mostly dry.
have been riding the trails on and off for the past two weeks or so. there's a big tree down near the end of ridge. was able to ride over it after a couple tries.

More
8 years 5 months ago #26895 by Garick
Garick replied the topic: Re: Allegany State Park Trail Conditions
I don't remember it ever being regularly unstaffed. It was always if you got there early enough in the morning or late enough at night you could sneak through.

More
8 years 5 months ago #26859 by velociped jones
is the pennywise and poundfoolish state still not staffing the park entry fee collection booths?

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.