Letchworth Trail Conditions

More
7 years 4 months ago #33308 by Jon Sundquist
Jon Sundquist replied the topic: Re: Letchworth Trail Conditions

El_Marko wrote: That's usually the route we take - but I've been told to stay off that first mile near the visitor's center because it is for hikers/families only. Another option for us non-hammerheads, is to do 7.5 miles out and then ride it right back, to avoid the road ride.

The first part is the best section. I actually do that part twice when I ride. I ride the 15 miles or so, then back the road, but I duck back into the single track just after the power line and ride it back to the car.

Yes, there are more hikers there, but that is good. It gives us all a chance to show how we can slow down to walking speed and pass safely (the definition of "yield the trail") and that helps promote shared use trail.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #33305 by El_Marko
El_Marko replied the topic: Re: Letchworth Trail Conditions

TSWOLF21 wrote: Rode last night for the first time. Fun place to ride despite the numerous times I had to get off to hike the bike over a stream crossing. I took the FLT from the Hogs Back Overlook to the bottom of the park (north to south), and then the farm road back up to the car - 15 miles of singletrack + 7 miles of road made for a good ride. Heres my take:

That's usually the route we take - but I've been told to stay off that first mile near the visitor's center because it is for hikers/families only. Another option for us non-hammerheads, is to do 7.5 miles out and then ride it right back, to avoid the road ride.

TSWOLF21 wrote: SICKK. Super fast sections with some OK technical sections. If you need to work on your quick steep climbing, sure is the place to practice. 50% of the tributaries that cross the trail weren't ride-able (It would take a bridge to fix their problems-not feasible), the other 50% made for some really challenging sections that had me scratchin my head a few times before making the plunge. Conditions were great: 10-20 mud holes that really weren't bad at all, the rest of the trail was smooth hardpacked <SINGLETRACK> that constantly required your attention. Keeping a good tempo at this place seemed to be the trick to a good ride. I will definitely be making the trek back.

The ravines have worsened/deepened over the years and some b-routes have developed - but yes - they are challenging and suck energy bigtime, on or off the bike. I continue to be amazed by those who ride the entire 22 miles - let alone those who ride it both ways!

TSWOLF21 wrote: Oh, and the views of the gorge are some of the best scenes in the area IMO.

It is an amazing place - and a very good one to ride. I'm surprised by how many local MTBers never even go there. BIKE mag once had it ranked in their top trails in the entire country.

More
7 years 4 months ago #33292 by TSWOLF21
TSWOLF21 replied the topic: Re: Letchworth Trail Conditions
Rode last night for the first time. Fun place to ride despite the numerous times I had to get off to hike the bike over a stream crossing. I took the FLT from the Hogs Back Overlook to the bottom of the park (north to south), and then the farm road back up to the car - 15 miles of singletrack + 7 miles of road made for a good ride. Heres my take:

SICKK. Super fast sections with some OK technical sections. If you need to work on your quick steep climbing, sure is the place to practice. 50% of the tributaries that cross the trail weren't ride-able (It would take a bridge to fix their problems-not feasible), the other 50% made for some really challenging sections that had me scratchin my head a few times before making the plunge. Conditions were great: 10-20 mud holes that really weren't bad at all, the rest of the trail was smooth hardpacked <SINGLETRACK> that constantly required your attention. Keeping a good tempo at this place seemed to be the trick to a good ride. I will definitely be making the trek back.

Oh, and the views of the gorge are some of the best scenes in the area IMO.

Singletrack Solitude

More
7 years 6 months ago #32261 by jessea03
jessea03 replied the topic: Re: Letchworth Trail Conditions
Heading up there next Sunday morning for a ride. I hope it dries out by then.

More
7 years 6 months ago #32198 by Jon Sundquist
Jon Sundquist replied the topic: Re: Letchworth Trail Conditions
Early in the year, it is best to start at the second trailhead (not the one at Hogsback) just for reason.

More
7 years 6 months ago #32197 by bennymack
bennymack replied the topic: Re: Letchworth Trail Conditions
Most of the puddles and muck were at the north end of the park as I recall. The trail flattens out a bit up there where the hikers primarily seem to be. Just about everything past 4 miles south of Hogsback was dry to the touch on Saturday.

Opinions are like pimples, they vary in amount and cover different areas.

There is no or, you're going to lose it.

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.283 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.