Letchworth Trail Conditions

More
7 years 3 months ago #34586 by barkeater
barkeater replied the topic: Re: Letchworth Trail Conditions
Hey there. I think that was me that came across you's. What a fantastic day and ride. My 1st time at Letchworth in all of my years here in WNY. What a great place to ride. Sorry to hear about your friends chain :( I bit off a little more than I could chew and limped back the last mile or so. Also ran into a few guys from Rochacha who were just comming in as I was going out. Sat on one of the overlooks at Hogsback and took in the scenery for a while. Hats off to Letchworth. Definitely going back next year!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #34549 by El_Marko
El_Marko replied the topic: Re: Letchworth Trail Conditions
Finally got to Letchworth yesterday. Gotta ride it at least once a season! Conditions were as good as they ever have been there - despite the continued erosion in the ravines. There was obvious trail work completed this season - most of it quality work - some not so much.

There's a really cool log bridge built over one of the ravines now - rolled and rode nicely. However, another log bridge was already falling apart and one of the larger log crossings that was built a few years ago has pretty much cracked in half - rendering it VERY dangerous if ridden. Several ravins are now quite deeper than they have been in the past - while other's have been rock armored to help get through.

Singletrack was dry and hardpacked from the Dam parking lot to 13 miles out. Only moisture was in the exposed areas outside of the tree cover. Friend broke a chain so we headed out to the road to repair and spin on back to the lot.

Plenty of other riders out there - one WNYMBA from Buffalo area member said hello. Gorgeous 21 mile day. Pun intended.

More
7 years 4 months ago #33359 by Jon Sundquist
Jon Sundquist replied the topic: Re: Letchworth Trail Conditions
Because we can't seem to get volunteers to update it. I just changed it to open.

If anyone rides certain trails on a regular basis, we can use you to update these pages. Just let me know I can add your name to the list of people who can access the updating.

More
7 years 4 months ago #33354 by ss
ss replied the topic: Re: Letchworth Trail Conditions
Why does the "Where To Ride" page show Letchworth as "Closed?"

More
7 years 4 months ago #33349 by KeithB
KeithB replied the topic: Re: Letchworth Trail Conditions

Jon Sundquist wrote:

El_Marko wrote: That's usually the route we take - but I've been told to stay off that first mile near the visitor's center because it is for hikers/families only. Another option for us non-hammerheads, is to do 7.5 miles out and then ride it right back, to avoid the road ride.

The first part is the best section. I actually do that part twice when I ride. I ride the 15 miles or so, then back the road, but I duck back into the single track just after the power line and ride it back to the car.

Yes, there are more hikers there, but that is good. It gives us all a chance to show how we can slow down to walking speed and pass safely (the definition of "yield the trail") and that helps promote shared use trail.

I think that's the section between the dam and the overlook - that part is flat and nothing special. The first real section of trail is a lot of fun, but then again all of the sections are worth doing both ways.

More
7 years 4 months ago #33310 by TSWOLF21
TSWOLF21 replied the topic: Re: Letchworth Trail Conditions

El_Marko wrote: That's usually the route we take - but I've been told to stay off that first mile near the visitor's center because it is for hikers/families only. Another option for us non-hammerheads, is to do 7.5 miles out and then ride it right back, to avoid the road ride.

I talked to bennymack yesterday and he gave me his 'Epic' route which covers most of the FLT then doubles back - 34 miles said and done. My next ride out there.

I had to cut my ride sorter than I had planned last night due to the darkness creeping in. I couldn't find a trial head for the life of me. I had a map, but the trails must have grown over because I was blind to any access trail getting me back to the pavement. -New plan- I took a right off of the trail, did a little bushwhacking, which did not follow proper riding rules, but my life was at stake!:shock: Made it to a corn field, good 5 minute walk got me to the road and on my way back to the car.

El_Marko wrote: The ravines have worsened/deepened over the years and some b-routes have developed - but yes - they are challenging and suck energy bigtime, on or off the bike. I continue to be amazed by those who ride the entire 22 miles - let alone those who ride it both ways!

I rode a few great reroutes that take you further up stream to avoid the 20' plunges into a washed out stream bed. I could tell they were definitely new because the brush had been cut down recently, and the single track was just starting to develop its signature look.

El_Marko wrote: It is an amazing place - and a very good one to ride. I'm surprised by how many local MTBers never even go there. BIKE mag once had it ranked in their top trails in the entire country.

I didn't see one person last night, not even a car within the park. It was strange, but I thoroughly enjoyed having the place to myself > Hence the signature.

Singletrack Solitude

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.291 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.