Latest Hunters Conditions

More
8 years 6 months ago #31974 by TrailHunter
TrailHunter replied the topic: Re: Latest Hunters Conditions
Rode HC today and the conditions were fantastic (almost). Seen a whole bunch of people out there riding, hiking, and even some folks rappelling down into the the creek which was pretty cool.

What was not so cool was my experience on a log crossing on what I believe is the Yellow/Green Blazes/South. 0.7 miles (semi-loop)
I approached this log crossing like all others with the expectation that it was built up with smaller logs on both sides. Boy was I wrong. Once I realized it was a decent size drop down over the other side it was too late and I was thrown over my handlebars landing with all of my weight on my left shoulder.

After I got done mother f'ing the @$$hole who thought it would be cool to build a jump off a downed tree on the xc trail I picked up my bike to continue to ride. At that point I was just thankful that I was riding in front and that it was not my wife who went over that crossing who was following behind me because she would have done the same thing.

But wait, it doesn't end there. I then noticed that the crash bent my right seat rail all the way down so that my seat was sitting at a 45 degree angle. So I bent it back and jumped on it. However, as I started to pedal I quickly noticed that my shifting was all jacked up. My first thought was to check my RD Hanger to see if it snapped. Did it? No it did not, but it did how ever pull the one hanger bolt right out of the frame! So now I can't ride the bike out because the other bolt will not keep my RD steady enough to allow me to pedal in one gear.

So now I am sitting here unable to raise my left shoulder and I now have a frame that maybe garbage unless there is some way to rethread the hole so I can attatch my hanger. All becase some moron(s) thought it would be cool to build a jump.....thanks @$$holes!

I'm going to assume that this was not done by anyone associated with WNYMBA as I believe they would understand that someone could get hurt coming down the other side(as happened today). I also want to state that I am all for obstacle like this on the trail but it needs to be done the right way. There should have been a warning sign before hand as well as an alt route for those who do not want to try and jump over it.

2010 Asheville MVP
2010 Kingdom Trails MVP
2012 Ironman Lake Placid MVP
P.A.R.K. is ALIVE!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #31960 by mattysuehurricne
mattysuehurricne replied the topic: Re: Latest Hunters Conditions
I walked the dog around the Sgt. mark trail. It was in good shape, that constantly muddy section was pretty dry for once.

More
8 years 6 months ago #31947 by GShaikun
GShaikun replied the topic: Hunter's
rode there Wed night, not that messy, all things considered. Most of the trail network heading straight north from the parking was good, and its a fine set of trails, with some tough little turns and climbs. There are so many criss-crosses you can spend a lot of time just in that section. I'd avoid the overgown jungly connectors that go from the old parking area and road/trail to the new, they're full of stickers and while passable, not as much fun.

More
8 years 6 months ago #31944 by The Todd-ler
The Todd-ler replied the topic: Re: Latest Hunters Conditions
I can't imagine better weather conditions then what we have had, and Hunter's is still "messy"?

I know many people love that place, because it's technical in a very different way, I enjoy it too, but boy does this place suck 99% of the year. We gotta do some trail work days there in the Fall.

2008 Asheville MVP. J2DB. Ride Matador Fiore Ride! El Nino! ONE GEAR TO RULE THEM ALLâ„¢

More
8 years 6 months ago #31932 by superbee70
superbee70 replied the topic: Re: Latest Hunters Conditions
Rode this evening, still very messy. Was off the bike hiking around the mudholes in many parts. Wouldn't even advise riding even if you know the dry trails. Lots of blowdowns, someone made a new trail bypassing a large portion of the trail just east of Int 1 on the pink trail that needs to be closed.

More
8 years 6 months ago #31832 by mattysuehurricne
mattysuehurricne replied the topic: Re: Latest Hunters Conditions
Just got back from riding, there is a big pine tree down across the yellow trail heading towards the gas line on the upper section. Is it legit for me to hike with my chainsaw and take care of stuff like that?

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.456 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.