Info about the area's terrain/type of mtb to use

More
6 years 3 months ago #41960 by Jon Sundquist
Jon Sundquist replied the topic: Re: Info about the area's terrain/type of mtb to use
Before everyone went to 29ers, everyone rode full squish. I got my original full squish because I was getting beat up on the E-ville trails with a hardtail.

Now that everyone rides 29ers, quite a few ride hardtails again. The advantages of the larger wheels work well on the myriad roots and rocks.

So if you are still on little wheels, go full suspension. On big wheels, either way.

I went full squish when I got my 29er finally and I like it. When I rode the smoother trails down in Georgia/Tennessee this spring when the niner was still new, I was thinking maybe I should have gone hardtail and saved the money and weight. But when I got back to E-ville, I was glad I got the Jet9. But that's just me.

I heard the trails are pretty smooth in Michigan. The big glacial soils map I have hanging in my living room (a great garage sale find by my wife!) shows similar soils in MI as near here up in Ontario (lots of glacial outwash sand). Our trails are much smoother than Ontario trails (with the exception of their trails on the escarpment).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #41948 by woodi
woodi replied the topic: Re: Info about the area's terrain/type of mtb to use
Not knowing what you got for bike options it's hard to say. But imho if you've got a full squish xc/trail bike I'd take that. It makes riding trails like the FLT and Bent Rim more fun. I ride my HT 29er down there too and still enjoy the ride but generally stick to the smoother trails on that rig. My full squish rig is a 2008 Kona Coilair slimmed down to a svelte 33 pounds and while probably a bit overkill it gets around just fine.

More
6 years 3 months ago #41918 by skurge
skurge replied the topic: Re: Info about the area's terrain/type of mtb to use
you should be fine on a hardtail, my whole group rides them, its not too bad

More
6 years 3 months ago #41908 by pmac225
pmac225 replied the topic: Re: Info about the area's terrain/type of mtb to use
You can ride all of it with a hardtail safely. Full-spn would be allot more comfortable, but many people ride hard-tails there.

More
6 years 3 months ago #41905 by fat guy
fat guy replied the topic: Re: Info about the area's terrain/type of mtb to use
I may have incorrectly assumed you had a Full susp. to bring.

This post is not approved by the WNYMBA forum posting approval signoff committee. My WNYMBA socks are in the warsh.

More
6 years 3 months ago #41904 by penguin
penguin replied the topic: Re: Info about the area's terrain/type of mtb to use
Full suspension I'm older, thats all I would ride there.

Penguin

Mommy- theres a root on the trail! Make it go away! I want my Binkie

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.365 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.