Overland Ride - Saturday, September 10th

More
6 years 3 months ago #39224 by Deaconmtb
Deaconmtb replied the topic: Re: Overland Ride - Saturday, September 10th
There is a good chance I'll be there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #39218 by bodie6
bodie6 replied the topic: Re: Overland Ride - Saturday, September 10th
:o That would have made for one heck of a story for the WNYMBA forum!

Just to reiterate, the ride is on September 10th, and we'll be meeting/leaving from the Chautauqua Gorge State Forest at 9:00am. g.co/maps/n43n

I actually figured out a way to shorten our distance on the tarmac by 1 mile and to eliminate the long road climbs. Once we exit the Rails to Trails, we'll hang a left onto Titus Road, a right onto RT. 430, left onto 302, right onto Walt Corners, and a left onto Bates Road. This takes care of 300 feet of climbing.

Old Route: www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5037258

New Route: www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5037255

There's still two weeks to prepare yourselves for this ride. I hope to hear from more of you!

Jake

More
6 years 3 months ago #39217 by twright
twright replied the topic: Re: Overland Ride - Saturday, September 10th
major potential oops... see you on the 10th... also keep us updated on your new lights.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #39215 by penguin
penguin replied the topic: Re: Overland Ride - Saturday, September 10th
I will be there! I'm figuring about 1 1/2 hours from Cheektowaga-

WOW- I am a complete idiot! I thought it was tommmorrow- I finally realized it wasn't when I just reread post- I would have been sitting there at parking lot tommorrow am like a complete moron. I'm not lying- My Camelback is sitting in kitchen and i just packed up my shoes.
See what kind of attention span I have on 5 hours of sleep each night

Penguin

Mommy- theres a root on the trail! Make it go away! I want my Binkie
Last Edit: 6 years 3 months ago by penguin.

More
6 years 3 months ago #39214 by bodie6
bodie6 replied the topic: Re: Overland Ride - Saturday, September 10th
Penguin,

You should join us; it's gonna be a great ride.

I would bring the better climbing bike, which I would guess to be the Kona, and I would put some low rolling resistance tires on it. Most of the really tough uphills are short enough where you can easily get away with a hike-a-bike.

I can see someone bringing a cross bike and having a blast on this ride. Although the ride is quite long, as long as you stock some food with you (perhaps 1,000 calories worth?), and bring a few GU packets or Shot Bloks, you should be able to hammer out most, if not all, of the ride. I'm gonna try to stash a bag of homemade cookies, some beers, and some gatorade at the lean-to, so there will be a nice pit-stop at the half-way point and right after a serious grin-inducing downhill section.

I can't speak for everyone, but whenever I ride the Westside Overland trail, I always feel as though I'm on a back-country adventure. :twisted:

More
6 years 3 months ago #39213 by penguin
penguin replied the topic: Re: Overland Ride - Saturday, September 10th
I'm thinking about coming- still trying to figure out if I can make it the whole way? If not I may have to bail out early. Trying to decide between the Kona Hei-Hei 2-9 with the loud brakes or my 26" Truth that I havn't ridden much this year

Penguin

Mommy- theres a root on the trail! Make it go away! I want my Binkie

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.332 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.