E-ville hospitality

More
6 years 5 months ago #38930 by twright
twright replied the topic: Re: E-ville hospitality
BStagno--

I could pop down Thursday morning, early (like 8:00) if you wanted to ride up eagle, do rain trail, merlin, dead dog loop and then back down... prob. close to your time constraints. wasn't sure if you were looking for more rocky trails, then, rim and bent rim, and such... but my rib is recovering so, I'd likely be rather slow and timid through those...

will check back here to see if you want to meet up in am.

I know the last night of the wed. night race series is tonight, pop over to the mountain training center to partake or simply watch it all happen, but sounds like you are planning a ride at golden hill.... sweet, think you will enjoy....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #38926 by Jon Sundquist
Jon Sundquist replied the topic: Re: E-ville hospitality
Checkout some of the routes over at Map Your Ride. That will give you some ideas.

More
6 years 5 months ago #38925 by BStagno
BStagno replied the topic: Re: E-ville hospitality
THanks guys - I plan on being at golden hill by 530 - always nice to do a group ride, hopefully can keep up.

I am staying in town so we'll see about exploring trails on my own with a map - Thanks for the suggested routes.
brian

More
6 years 5 months ago #38907 by Painfulldischarge
Painfulldischarge replied the topic: Re: E-ville hospitality
I've never gone in that way, b/c I drive to evl from the South, so to access the trails at the Salamanca end, I come up Hungry Hollow and park off the forest road. If I come into town I used to ride up HV - which I was saying is not worth it now that you can take Eagle to the top.

I was giving the guy a suggestions for 2hour rides to sample the trails. That's how I manage to do it. If I had more time, I would ride them all in one shot. Got nothing to do with being lazy or weak. I don't know all the best ways to access the trails, but what has worked for me.

Don't be a douche in every post.

Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

More
6 years 5 months ago #38898 by skidder
skidder replied the topic: Re: E-ville hospitality
You can RIDE from downtown in about the same time it takes to drive all the way around Whig St. and Mutton Hollow to the top.
Save the gas and burn some calories.
RIDE your bike to the top.
Don`t be a lazy weakling.

More
6 years 5 months ago #38881 by Painfulldischarge
Painfulldischarge replied the topic: Re: E-ville hospitality
When I'm up there I ride most days during the week. It might be hard to find people to ride with during the week - I almost never run into anybody on the trails. This year over 4th of july wknd, I saw about ten people in separate groups of 2 or three on the big merlin loop on Saturday and that is more people than I've ever seen up there. The trail system is so large and if you go away from the big merlin, rain trail, dead dog trails, which are right out back of HV you probably won't see or hear anything but nature, which is pretty cool.

As someone who rides up there a few times a year, my recommendation is get the map from the evl bike shop and mark the new trails from their updated map while you're there or I found an updated map on their website - it has the roots rocks ridges race course on it, but has the current trails and prints out readable.

Don't be afraid to get out by yourself and sample some of the best single track around. IMO a good introductory loop that is under 2 hrs (about an 1:30 or so) is to start at eagle forest road trail head (you'll see a gate, go through gate up forrest road about 1/4 mile and look for blue trail marker on left for the start of single track) eagle trail (stiff up hill climb) then go right onto the rain trail, cross over the forest road to big merlin (you will be riding counter clockwise) turns into dead dog, watch for intersection with eagle trail and take it back down to your car at the trail head.

Also, there is really no reason to park at HV training center anymore, unless you like a kind of boring double track climb to the top of the ski hill. The race loop inside HV is kind of fun, but there is better riding in the state forest out back.

You can also park at the intersection of the pale ale trails along the forest road and hit the rim and bent rim trails, mutton hollow, a new trail along anderson blvd that I don't know the name of. If you run low on time or energy you can always bail back to the forrest roads and loop back to your car.

I'm usually constrained to a couple hours of riding, so that's how I get it in, but there is a lot back there and the distances seem farther than you think when the wheels are on the ground (i'm always riding longer than I thought it would take). Enjoy it.

Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.359 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.