Southern Tier Group Ride Sunday

More
6 years 9 months ago #37657 by kb voodoo
kb voodoo replied the topic: Re: Southern Tier Group Ride Sunday
Sprague got a good dose of snow the other day (around 6") and none of it has melted yet.

I'm curious to know how much is still on the ground in the ANF area.

The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #37656 by bennymack
bennymack replied the topic: Re: Southern Tier Group Ride Sunday
With the current weather forecast showing lows in the teens and highs in the 20s, I think this weekend is going to be perfect for riding because the ground should be frozen solid making it possible to ride without leaving any impact. Even Sprague and Ellicottville might be doable depending on the snow levels. Anyone know how much snow there is? What about the ANF's two 50 milers, 40 miler, 30 miler, and 10 miler? Which of those would be the best for a frost ride?

Opinions are like pimples, they vary in amount and cover different areas.

There is no or, you're going to lose it.

More
6 years 9 months ago #37628 by twright
twright replied the topic: Re: Southern Tier Group Ride Sunday
yes, the pics are from the scandia ride,, I guess the label, coal bed road loop, might give you the thought that it's a road ride..

it is simply the name of the road that you end up parking at the end of. there is perhaps less than a mile of dirt road at the beginning,, again I defer to FG for particulars.

More
6 years 9 months ago #37625 by kb voodoo
kb voodoo replied the topic: Re: Southern Tier Group Ride Sunday
I wasn't there, but yes, it is the same loop.

The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #37624 by bennymack
bennymack replied the topic: Re: Southern Tier Group Ride Sunday
Sorry if this is an obvious question but were the originally posted pics and ride basically the 10 mile coal bed road loop ?

This "40+ Miles of Death" looks cool.

Or perhaps the "30 mile warmup" ?

Quite a few of MikeZ's maps on google it seems.

Opinions are like pimples, they vary in amount and cover different areas.

There is no or, you're going to lose it.
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by bennymack.

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #37622 by fat guy
fat guy replied the topic: Re: Southern Tier Group Ride Sunday
The Coal Bed loop is only 10 miles, although there are other routes up there that are much longer but they descend and are pretty sloppy this time of year at the bottoms. Doing multiple loops of it is the best bet, its decent quality riding. Much of the ANF riding is nothing like the WNY singletrack, in the fact that you can't damage it or endanger MTB access, its already either impacted or built to be impacted by ATV use, it comes down to how much fun it really is to ride when its so mucky. Some of it is just like WNY singletrack (Morrison and Tanbark), in that any damage can lead to trail closure. The Coal Bed loop can't really be hurt by riding in wet conditions due to the other uses and its rock composition, plus most of it doesn't get mucky, just wet.
You can't cross the dam, and even if you did its not part of the 50 mile west loop.
The 50 mile west loop would likely be very sloppy and parts unrideable due to the sections that have a combo of packed ice from the snowmobiles/atv's/OGM traffic and hemlock trees, it takes until WNY MTB season arrives for it to firm up and be enjoyable.
I will upload the latest Coal Bed loop tonight if it is in my Garmin, I forgot about the fancy new map thing. If you have a natural sense of direction and/or are a world champeen orientererererer, or like to get lost, you shouldn't have that much trouble.
The offical ATV trails like Rocky Gap and Willow Creek are closed to motorized use until Memorial Day, but you can MTB on them legally and you can't damage them no matter the conditions, but Rocky Gap needs time to firm up or you need to know how to shortcut around the mucky and/or iced over sections to enjoy it.

This post is not approved by the WNYMBA forum posting approval signoff committee. My WNYMBA socks are in the warsh.
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by fat guy.

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.332 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.