11 Speeds.....not as bad as I thought

More
4 years 8 months ago #44279 by kb voodoo
kb voodoo replied the topic: Re: 11 Speeds.....not as bad as I thought
^^^ That is a really encouraging review. Thanks for your input!!

The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #44270 by TSWOLF21
TSWOLF21 replied the topic: Re: 11 Speeds.....not as bad as I thought
I have been turning over the XX1 bits since May on my Epic and give the system a 9.5 out of 10 after 1000+ miles.

For the sake of [a short] product review, disregard the price. It is new technology and we will always pay heavily for new technology in our sacred sport of cycling. I won’t get into how it works because most of you have already read the unavoidable functional descriptions being shoved down your internet throats.

-The alternating tooth profile used on the chainring and derailleur cogs may be one of the most revolutionary concepts to hit the drivetrain market since the clutched derailleur, but only because of the clutched derailleur. This allows a few things to happen: no front derailleur or chain guide, no dropped chains (not one all year), very secure feel, keeps chain interior cleaner.

-The derailleur is one wild looking piece of engineering – holds true to first impressions too. The clutch and parallel movement keep things eerily quiet, it has not developed any sort of play or noticeable wear, it has pins and c-clips for all pivots so it can be fully serviced (have not had to yet), has held up to enough of a beating to require 4 hanger straightening’s (two major ones), cable housing routing is very low-profile.

-Cassette is bigger than my 160 rotor. With a 34 tooth ring up front the 10-42 range is great; I start spinning out at 33 mph and a 4 mph pace up hills allows for normal cadence on the granny gear. I cannot find any signs of wear other than cosmetic scratching and scuffing of the anodized finish. One dig: the wide range makes for noticeable ratio changes with each shift, but does induce less shifting and more time to pedal. Tooth profile seems to be similar to the high-end SRAM stuff.

-Cranks do what I ask of them every time. The one cool new feature is that you can swap the chanring without removing crank—this makes the system more versatile because the threaded rings can be changed in under 2 minutes with one tool.

-The chain is not SRAM's lightest chain, but that’s a good thing. Hollow pins, but not hollow links. I am on my original and will be able to ride it through to snow fall.

In addition to my one dig up top, I kicked the rating down to a 9.5 because of how sensitive the system is. There is no room for play when it comes to alignment, so I find myself touching my barrel adjuster every 100 miles or so. Luckily the barrel is large and easy to turn while riding. I had to add a hanger straightener to my tool box because I found that the slightest tweaks made for some unwanted noise.

IMO this is the drivetrain concept of the future and I am backed up by some of the largest bike manufactures—in less than one year they have already begun to ditch the front derailleur compatibility on their fastest frames.

Go ride!
-TSW

Singletrack Solitude
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by TSWOLF21.

More
4 years 8 months ago #44259 by kb voodoo

Jon Sundquist wrote: It's sad when a price of $1,274-$1,365 ($400 just for the cassette) is considered a "lower price point".

Like the microwave and the VCR, prices for this stuff should drop as time goes by.

I really hope so, because I want it on a future build. Unfortunately, it won't be affordable enough for my build this fall, because I need to keep it around $3k.

The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...

More
4 years 8 months ago #44258 by Jon Sundquist
Jon Sundquist replied the topic: Re: 11 Speeds.....not as bad as I thought

drabb wrote: This is just trickle down from the XX1 drivetrain... there's really nothing new here except a lower price point and a few more grams.

It's sad when a price of $1,274-$1,365 ($400 just for the cassette) is considered a "lower price point".

Too bad. I think this is actually a very good idea, but that's still a lot of money. Going from a triple to a double in front was a no brainer for me with my last bike, and going one more step to a single chainring would be even better.

As a side benefit, some bikes are even starting to be designed to not provide a mount point for a front derailleur (like kbvoodoo, I spend too much time riding vs. reading about this stuff, so I just saw that after I clicked on a couple of links in the Dirt Rag link above). That really frees up design possibilities, especially for making shorter chainstays on 29ers. It's like when V-brakes started coming out and they didn't have to figure out where to put the cable stop any more for cantis. Made a lot more possibilities for rear suspension design.

More
4 years 8 months ago #44257 by kb voodoo

boogenman wrote:

drabb wrote: This is just trickle down from the XX1 drivetrain... there's really nothing new here except a lower price point and a few more grams.

Exactly!

KBvoodoo must have knocked his helmetless head on his last ride and forgot the past year of new bike technology.

Whoops, my bad. Looks like I need to spend less time riding and more time being a poser.

If it wasn't for Dirt Rag's Facebook page I never even would have seen this.

More
4 years 8 months ago #44256 by boogenman
boogenman replied the topic: Re: 11 Speeds.....not as bad as I thought

Exactly!

KBvoodoo must have knocked his helmetless head on his last ride and forgot the past year of new bike technology.

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.285 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.