Need bike advice

More
7 years 4 months ago #39587 by Legrand
Legrand replied the topic: Re: Need bike advice
Thanks for all the advice/info. I had only put in the Motobecane as an example of a bike I have never heard anything about. I am extremely mechanically inclined (mechanical engineer and was a machinist also) so I have no issues setting up or tuning a bike. I'm not saying that's what I want to do, I'm just saying it's a possibility.

I'll have to get out and about over the next couple of months and see what I can find. I haven't shopped around so looks like I need to do some research.

twright: what year and model is the stumpjumper? Pics?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #39578 by The Todd-ler
The Todd-ler replied the topic: Re: Need bike advice
Pete is the greatest guy, but if that's a drive, consider one of the many GREAT bike shops- that are dieing to move last years bikes off the shelf.

DON'T buy from a "local shop" that advertises on TV- they don't need your money, that's how they have TV ad money to begin with.

Buy from, in no particular order;
Erik and Brando at EMS on the Blvd.
or
Campus Wheels on Elmwood (Evan)
or
Eric's in Hamburg (one of my 2 go to guys)
or
Dennis at Eville Bike Shop (my other go to guy)
or buy from the shops next to the trails that you ride;
Mud on 240 in Westfalls (Glen- another great guy and killer machinist)
or
Sliders (Greg, who has done -with Scotto- so much for Erie Co riding).

All these shops will have a nice hardtail 29er for $1g for you test! That's plenty of $$ for a decent bike (cheap wheels but you can replace them later).

2008 Asheville MVP. J2DB. Ride Matador Fiore Ride! El Nino! ONE GEAR TO RULE THEM ALLâ„¢

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #39558 by skidder
skidder replied the topic: Re: Need bike advice
You can get a nice 29 inch hardtail with disc brakes for about $1000.
That will get you a solid bike that you can upgrade if you really ride alot.
29 is definitely better in the woods and over roots.
Call Pete Dzirkalis at Just Riding Along in Bradford.
814-363-9101
Pete sells Trek and some other brands too.
You won`t find a better shop anywhere.
Last Edit: 7 years 4 months ago by skidder.

More
7 years 4 months ago #39552 by kb voodoo
kb voodoo replied the topic: Re: Need bike advice

Jon Sundquist wrote: Drink the 29r kool aid. It's all that it is cracked up to be.

The "kool-aid effect" wears off quickly.

The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...

More
7 years 4 months ago #39551 by penguin
penguin replied the topic: Re: Need bike advice
I was the proud owner of a Motobecane and there is nothing wrong with them. I ended up stripping all the parts off my Moto 29er hardtail and building up my Kona Hei-Hei 2-9.I rebuilt the Moto and rode it last summer with no issues. Why did I sell it- because I enjoy buiding up bikes as a hobby. I have built up a Redline D660 for this year However there are some cons to Bike Direct bikes.
1. You will have to assemble bike or pay someone to do it. I had to mount stem, handlebar, shifters, front brake etc. More work then they lead you to believe.
2. Expect the wheels to need truing right out of the box! The hubs are not the greatest. I had a problem with rear hub being loose and they shipped me out a warranty replacement at no charge. I ended up repairing wheel so I have a spare- cust service does exist to a point.
3.I have noticed the part specs to be dropping on their bikes so the value is not as good as it was a while ago.
4. It's a mail order bike, so adjustments or any any repairs are on you.
A closeout from any of the local shops is your best deal- call them all and see what they have in stock.

Mommy- theres a root on the trail! Make it go away! I want my Binkie

More
7 years 4 months ago #39550 by Jon Sundquist
Jon Sundquist replied the topic: Re: Need bike advice
Drink the 29r kool aid. It's all that it is cracked up to be. For a small budget like you are considering, you probably will have to go hard tail. My new 29r is full suspension, but it has less travel in the back than my old one but it feels plusher. A lot of people say that rear suspension is less needed with a 29r.

You won't get much support from the regulars on the forum for Motobecane. Most (including me) will urge you to shop local. Unless you are an expert wrench who could be running your own shop (but don't), you will want to have the benefit of a local shop, for both the original purchase (so you can make sure you get the right bike) as well as for making it keep working right.

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.429 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.