Need bike advice

More
7 years 4 months ago #39548 by Mack
Mack replied the topic: Re: Need bike advice
Good stuff. You will notice that today's bikes are nothing like those 10-15 year's ago. That springy doingy feel is not the norm nor is the geometry. Like the guys said go ride a few. You don't need carbon, ti or fancy pants to have a bike last through our awesome terrain, or a sub 20lb race machine if you have a budget. Each bike has its merits and becomes a part of the rider as much as a rider becomes part of the bike, fitness and its geometry. Gosh, we all started riding like madmen all the time, racing LX, hardtails, tubes and Quadra 21r forks back from my days, and if I recall everyone hammered that gear to the gills. No one quit because of it or was left for dead and it was the norm when you don't have an unlimited budget for gear. I think technology certainly shows in price these days but at this time of year and for a excellent price you will find an awesome bike for the $. Just be patient, look, ask around and don't fall for the big box theme's or non-name brand hype. If it feels good, the tech works with you for a good fit and you like it go for it. Don't count out having one built up for you too if someone has parts to assemble. Sometimes that's an amazing route to the bike of your dreams! A little off topic but all good info. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #39547 by kb voodoo
kb voodoo replied the topic: Re: Need bike advice
Go to Eric's Cycle Works in Hamburg. Tell him where you ride, and tell him HOW you ride, and give him your budget. He'll set you up.

PS: Don't drink the 29'er kool-aid.

The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...

More
7 years 4 months ago #39545 by twright
twright replied the topic: Re: Need bike advice
as Mack says: if you can find a bike at a local bike shop,, I find that is the way to go.. but if your spending cap is a grand... then your best bang will be used.. and I am sure there are folks on here that have some.

you looking to stay with 26 inches or thinking you want to give 29 a try. staying with full suspension or hardtail. what size frame are you riding...., i think if you get answers to those three, you can then see if any used ones are out there..

if you happen to be looking for a large frame, full suspension, 26'er.. I have a specialized stumpjumper, with fox fork. disc. specialized that I am considering selling.... just saying...

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #39544 by Legrand
Legrand replied the topic: Re: Need bike advice
Thanks Mack. I've been looking for used bikes as well, but all I see in Craigslist is people trying to get $150 for a used Huffy or Diamondback.

My first bike was a GT Timberline FS and I loved that bike. The one that just died (or is at the point where it might not be worth repairing anymore) is a Gary Fisher Joshua F3 www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/bike-full/gary-fi...rd_349719_95crx.aspx It's an OK bike made before GT bought GF out, but it was from when FS bikes were new and it doesn't have disc brakes (though it has the mounting holes to retro-fit). I was glad that it had the rear lock-out lever on the handlebars since you climb as much as ride downhill around here.

I am worried that, at the price point I'm at, a FS bike will be springy and that maybe I should just get a hardtail again. I just don't know.
Last Edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Legrand.

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #39543 by Mack
Mack replied the topic: Re: Need bike advice
Familiar and excellent question. Many suggestions on this one, but a great way to get a great bike is used if you can find one (get twice the bike for the price). Otherwise, new is amazing too if you want that brand new feeling. Stick with name brands such as Trek, Gary Fisher, Kona, Specialized, Niner, Felt etc from a reputable, tenured mountain bike shop-not department style store. These brands have been around the block and have lasting power. Many to choose from in full suspension or hard tail. You can spend a lot more with consideration of each component and triple that price easily but is it necessary for riding a few times per year? Nah. Go to a local shop and see what they have left from this year's models for starters and find one that fits you properly. Many deals this time of year on old stock. Name brand, local shop will = a lifetime of happiness because you will need their help down the road and the bike won't fall apart or have multiple issues because it's so rare. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Last Edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Mack.

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #39542 by Legrand
Legrand created the topic: Need bike advice
I haven't been riding much in the last 10 years, but have re-entered the fray this summer. My bike decided to take a dump on me this weekend and, having been out of the loop for so long, I don't know what's "good" anymore.

I ride Hunters and sometimes Sprague brook parks, rarely elsewhere. Normally once a week, if I'm lucky twice. My previous bike (a full suspension Y-Frame) cost about $1300 in 1999 and I'd like to not spend quite that much again. I think $1k would be my max this time.

Any suggestions? What brands are decent now? One example I see is "Motobecane" bikes like this one: www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/700ds_x.htm but I know nothing about them.

Help?
Last Edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Legrand.

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.413 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.