The double squish clown bike

More
7 years 2 months ago #37920 by indigo22
indigo22 replied the topic: Re: The double squish clown bike
I think this 'debate' really got started from Remy's mail order comment. But it does echo the resentments around here.

One thing I don't understand, at the meeting I went to, I heard nothing but praise for Erik at EMS, as well as Chris at Northstar. Erik, being a huge time and financial contributor to WNYMBA's efforts, and Chris a guy who really knows his stuff. But with all the praise I heard, I have never seen it in the amount that really counts, buying stuff in the stores. (side note I'm not saying that these should be the only two stores anyone goes to, and I have made the point of a partnership of shops several times)

It is just frustrating when we shop guys see on here so much stuff bought online, when we know the shops haven't even been checked out. Especially when I know of several in the area that are excellente. And will come close to or matching internet pricing. Yeah I know, if you see something out there for 80% off wholesale, yeah I understand, but there is just so much stuff bought by mtn bikers online and not from a shop. How can the scene grow like that?

It's why we're so much more supportive of bmx, we can at least get them in the store.

lowly shop broom pusher since 2000
The topic has been locked.
More
7 years 2 months ago #37919 by kb voodoo
kb voodoo replied the topic: Re: The double squish clown bike

TrailHunter wrote: Example: I snapped a hanger two years ago in the middle of Letchworth and didnt have an extra one on me (my mistake)

Middle?!?!?

It was in the first mile of a 20 mile ride. If we hadn't been able to patch that bike together, the day would have been ruined for all of us.

Case closed!!

The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...
More
7 years 2 months ago #37917 by TrailHunter
TrailHunter replied the topic: Re: The double squish clown bike
Building and working on your bike is the best things you could do in my opinion for mountain biking. Our bikes take such a beating on trails that its crucial at times to know how to fix or rig your bike in the middle of the ride to get yourself out.

Example: I snapped a hanger two years ago in the middle of Letchworth and didnt have an extra one on me (my mistake). Had to take off the derailleur, lockout the rear suspension, shorten the chain, and single speed it out. Good thing I knew how to work on my bike unless there are shops that offer trail side assistance.

2010 Asheville MVP
2010 Kingdom Trails MVP
2012 Ironman Lake Placid MVP
P.A.R.K. is ALIVE!!!
More
7 years 2 months ago #37911 by The Todd-ler
The Todd-ler replied the topic: Re: The double squish clown bike
Being able to fix some things yourself leads to a much more enjoyable biking experience!

I have been doing more and more work myself over the years. I leave the crazy complicated (wheel truing) or messy stuff (fork rebuilds) to Eric's or ODB. During race season, I spend at least a few hours a week, usually the Friday night before the race, getting the bike ready. This means, clean and lubrication everywhere, and checking for loosening. If you do this, you're bike will last and perform for many years to come!
People who continually show up for rides/races with a bike that needs work piss me off frankly.

Toughest part is learning your new bike, and heaving the tools to do it-stuff changes fast. One minute, in board bearing cups BBs, square taper, becomes outer cups, then BB30, etc. You think your external threadless Chris King headset is the bomb? In five minutes, it will not work on your inner, tapered headset setup.

2008 Asheville MVP. J2DB. Ride Matador Fiore Ride! El Nino! ONE GEAR TO RULE THEM ALLâ„¢
More
7 years 2 months ago #37910 by kb voodoo
kb voodoo replied the topic: Re: The double squish clown bike

Remy Martin wrote: Wow - You guys are so awesome.

The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...
More
7 years 2 months ago #37908 by Moto Mike
Moto Mike replied the topic: Re: The double squish clown bike

Remy Martin wrote: Wow - You guys are so awesome.

I tell myself that everyday, but it doesn't hurt to hear it from others too 8-)

2009 Kingdom Trails Lightning Chaser MVP
2010 Asheville MVP

Fear the clown wheels!

"CX bikes are for bisexuals....you are either gay or straight...not both" -Trailhunter

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.329 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.