What do I need

More
7 years 7 months ago #37350 by kb voodoo
kb voodoo replied the topic: Re: What do I need

twright wrote: chamois, make you feel a bit weird

They make me feel a bit sexy. Ooh la la :-P

The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #37346 by twright
twright replied the topic: Re: What do I need
Welcome to the edge of mountain bike addiction, please keep your helmet on at all times, money in your "secret" hobby fund, as well as a smile on your face.

Glad to hear you didn't take offense to those who reacted to the dept store bike... they are just looking out for you...that bike is likely to create more frustration per mile of trail than pleasure. but then again, maybe it will take you through a season or two, so use what you got. but, If you haven't gotten it dirty yet.. and you are thinking of returning it, do so, check out the used trek, or stop by the upcoming SWAP in a few weeks. two of my bikes were bought new, two were bought used and I enjoy them all.

until the trails are firm enough to ride,,, and you will find that out by keeping an eye on this site.. take the time to build up your endurance by using the road, look for hills and climb them. then go down them and climb again.. if you have never ridden on true trails before, you will be surprised by your exhaustion at the end of it.
If you have been on trails before, sorry for telling you something you already know.

go up and down curbs and parking lot barriers, get comfortable moving slow and braking hard, with the front brake, doing more of the stopping, don't skid the back tire.

pedals- flats or clipless... you will hear both sides. My own preference is clipless, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to start out on flats, especially if you haven't really ridden trails before.

Helmet, I personally feel is totally necessary when ever riding, some don't think so, and I will leave their motionless body along the trail for the coyotes.

a backpack/hydration pack is probably the other thing you will often see folks sporting... toss in a munchie, fill the bladder or just bring along some bottled drink..small patch kit,, multi tool, and small air pump. but likely if you are with a group ride, the folks on the ride with you will have the supplies.

bike shorts--- they do help, chamois, make you feel a bit weird, but they help with the chaffing. not to get to personal, but when it's really warm, and looking at a long day ride,, hit your leg pit with your favorite antiperspirant as you do so with your arm pits. your er, ah.. area will be thankful later.

hope this gives you something to do,, some errands to run, and things to look forward to.

welcome aboard.
Last Edit: 7 years 7 months ago by twright.

More
7 years 7 months ago #37344 by hovno ruky
hovno ruky replied the topic: Re: What do I need
Well I am not scared off at all, and I am wanting to embrace this. It is cool, I did not take it as a bash. I want to know is all. So TJ tell me about this Trek... Or does anyone else have anything resonable in price? To be honest, I got the Target bike for scooting around the neaighborhood with my daughter.

More
7 years 7 months ago #37340 by TJ_Zydel
TJ_Zydel replied the topic: Re: What do I need
Jon is right, just join us and ride!

ahhhhh dude...

facebook.com/wnymba

twitter.com/wnymba

Director of Marketing and Promotions

More
7 years 7 months ago #37338 by TrailHunter
TrailHunter replied the topic: Re: What do I need
MOTO Mike is crazy! Has been ever since he started building a 29er...

2010 Asheville MVP
2010 Kingdom Trails MVP
2012 Ironman Lake Placid MVP
P.A.R.K. is ALIVE!!!

More
7 years 7 months ago #37337 by kb voodoo
kb voodoo replied the topic: Re: What do I need
Moto Mike is on the warpath now. You're not gonna stop this train :o

The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.258 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.