don't ask why, just suggest how....

More
7 years 11 months ago #36999 by TJ_Zydel
TJ_Zydel replied the topic: Re: don't ask why, just suggest how....
that's it i quit! i want to buy a stan's wheelset now! now....which hubs to select?! :)

ahhhhh dude...

facebook.com/wnymba

twitter.com/wnymba

Director of Marketing and Promotions

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #36995 by Garick
Garick replied the topic: Re: don't ask why, just suggest how....
I've thought about trying the split tube method, but haven't been too ambitious with it. I think using rim strips and stuff is a bit more fickle.

More
7 years 11 months ago #36994 by twright
twright replied the topic: Re: don't ask why, just suggest how....
bodie6- I will more than likely take you up on that... but want to find out what others may have experienced.. Todd,, thanks for the thoughts, not ready to buy anything new,, ( shhhh.. the wife may be looking.. Fguy... the wife has gotten much more observant...

anyone else chime in with your own experience on the poor man's tubeless.

More
7 years 11 months ago #36992 by fat guy
fat guy replied the topic: Re: don't ask why, just suggest how....
I had a ZTR hub fail and go from SS to fix gear on a high speed section, always nice to have your cranks instantly go 130 rpm while clipped in, luckily I was on a 29er so I didn't crash. End of my ZTR experimentation. But the Stans rims are sweet!

This post is not approved by the WNYMBA forum posting approval signoff committee. My WNYMBA socks are in the warsh.

More
7 years 11 months ago #36991 by The Todd-ler
The Todd-ler replied the topic: Re: don't ask why, just suggest how....
No doubt, if you get a decent rim with sidewalls that work, you can do it, but that changes from rim to rim and tire to tire.
Much trial and error is in store for you. If you have a big selection of tires, (even better if you have a big selection of rims-but then why go getto?)it may be worth it. Stan's "bead socket" setup just works, with almost every tire.

BTW, the Stan's stock wheels have ZTR hubs. Anyone know who makes these? I hear they're basically WTB?!?!

My Hope hubs are simply amazing. Hubs are the most important, yet most overlooked part on a bike imo.

2008 Asheville MVP. J2DB. Ride Matador Fiore Ride! El Nino! ONE GEAR TO RULE THEM ALLâ„¢

More
7 years 11 months ago #36990 by bodie6
bodie6 replied the topic: Re: don't ask why, just suggest how....
By the way. Total cost if you decide to go ghetto tubeless: $10 (for the tubes). Total cost of one Stan's Flow rim ~ $90. What do you have to lose? If it doesn't work, you're out $10. But if it does work, you saved yourself almost $200. Kinda like Pascal's Wager, if you ask me.

You need to run UST or Tubless ready tires on any UST rim, but you can use almost any tire with the ghetto tubeless method. However, I recommend getting tubeless ready tires, such as the 2Bliss tires from Specialized.

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.391 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.