who is a studder

More
8 years 3 months ago #36161 by fat guy
fat guy replied the topic: Re: who is a studder

studded tires are only good in ice

I kept telling him that, I mean cripes, there was hardly any ice! :shock:
(Nokians are awesome, the studs come with little points now)
You can get a set of Innova tires for half that, but they won't last if they see any pavement because they aren't carbide.
You never know what the conditions are in the woods until you get there (ice/snow/dirt), studded tires are awesome if you are lucky enough to live where there's ample opportunity to need them.

This post is not approved by the WNYMBA forum posting approval signoff committee. My WNYMBA socks are in the warsh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #36158 by boogenman
boogenman replied the topic: Re: who is a studder
3.0" Nokian Gazzaloddi

More
8 years 3 months ago #36157 by Andrew Brautigam
Andrew Brautigam replied the topic: Re: who is a studder
To summarize the wisdom a local (Morgantown WV) old pro - studded tires are only good in ice, and unless the conditions are pure ice, ride your MTB with the widest tires you can squeeze in.

I've done fine on my CX bike this winter with limited snow, and my 29er MTB has been good in all conditions.

Post pics of any DIY stuff you come up with.

More
8 years 3 months ago #36156 by TSWOLF21
TSWOLF21 replied the topic: Re: who is a studder
I spent a good hour mapping out hole locations, drilling holes, and threading bolts on. A lot of time was spend trouble shooting the tire puncture problem, you can learn from my mistakes below:

Order of parts:
-1/8" dia flat head bolt
-.5" washer [EDIT make sure the washer inside dia. is as big as it can be while still holding the bolt. this will allow the top of the bolt head to lay as close to the washer as possible, helping with the puncture problem.]
-tire
-25" washer
-tiny nut
-clipped ends off pretty close to end of nut

50 studs, .3" from the tire centerline, zig-zag pattern (find knob pattern on the tire that will keep things spaced evenly - drill through knobs). The hardest part is keeping the bolt heads insulated from the tube. Hot glue on the heads of the bolts, 3-4 passes of duct tape, and slime tape ( http://www.slime.com/product/211/Slime- ... ctors.html ) kept me rolling for a winter season without too much trouble. Never slipped with these, and with the studs sticking out .2" past the tire, they pushed through the snow with ease. Not really asphalt friendly like the manufactured snow tires. Very little rubber touches the ground. I was able to make pretty hard cuts on a frozen pond tho...Thom, you shouldn't have too much trouble making it up your icy hills..

Singletrack Solitude

More
8 years 3 months ago #36154 by twright
twright replied the topic: Re: who is a studder
I think I will try a DIY before tossing down a $100 for a pair. I just don't know how much I will ride em.. and can't see spending that kind of cash..., that's more than what I spend on my season rubber.

perhaps I will regret it... whether successful or not, I will post my outcome.
good or bad.

More
8 years 3 months ago #36151 by boogenman
boogenman replied the topic: Re: who is a studder
I made a set a long time ago when Kissing Bridge would have the race in the Terrain Park. I would just buy a set, it took a long time and they didn't work all that well.

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.425 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.