6 Hours of Power

More
4 years 6 hours ago #44755 by Jon Sundquist
Jon Sundquist replied the topic: Re: 6 Hours of Power
Again stepping back from the moderator role, I'd like to point out that races are fun, I love to do them, and efforts to complain about them only lead to divisions within the ranks of WNY mountain bikers.

I remind everyone that we can't take bicycle access to any trails for granted. The DEC or the county could revoke our access to local trails at any time if they get chewed up. We got access to them in the first place because we promised to keep them in good shape, and to design and construct them right in the first place so that only minimum maintenance is required. The state forests in Cattaraugus County are undergoing a master plan in 2014 that will determine future use and future trail development opportunities, so now is not a good time to take access for granted.

There are four ways to keep races from impacting our access to trails:

1. Don't have them. Now that would suck. Races are fun. And anyone can go out and promote a race so it's not like anyone in particular says "don't have any more races" anyway. So this option really doesn't make sense and doesn't work.

2. Have them only on bullet proof trails. This is like the Raccoon Rally which is held on double track (although it used some of our new singletrack this year). This only works for some areas, and isn't everyone's cup of tea for racing.

3. Have alternate courses available. This is almost always impossible to do. Back when WNYMBA used to put on races, we used to do this for the Roots, Rocks, and Ridges. We'd switch to more roads and skid trails rather than singletrack if it had been real wet. But most of the time, this is not a practical option.

4. Fix them up after the race. Mack has already committed to helping restore the trails after this year's 6HOP. It'll take a lot of work, but it's doable.

So there are definitely multiple sides to this. I'll probably be out there helping with the repair work, and it will probably be like the repair work after the last time we ran the Roots, Rocks, and Ridges, when the work day was beautiful and we'd all rather be out riding. But if the alternative is that there would be no more races, then this is the best possible scenario. We'll be working on scheduling the work days at the board meeting coming up next Monday . We all hope as many people, especially those that raced, can come on out and help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 hours ago #44754 by rprouse
rprouse replied the topic: Re: 6 Hours of Power
I can see both sides too, I just feel that the trails that the races are run on have become extremely eroded in the last couple of years and it doesn't seem that the race organizers put in an equal amount of trail repair to counteract the damage. If I am wrong on this, please let me know.

I race and I really appreciate the amount of work that goes into organizing and running races. I also feel that they are important for the community. Heart Rate Up also has the added burden that the trails do not dry out as quickly as in other areas. Add to this the smaller fields in the races leaving less spare money to put back into trail maintenance.

In Canada, Chico racing puts a lot of effort into cutting new trails, re-routing damaged trails and making the areas they race in generally better for everyone, but they have more resources because of the size of their races. I'm sure Mack does what he can, but I just don't think it is enough when races are run on days like last Sunday.

I do my best to not ride when it damages the trails, why should races be any different? There is of course some wiggle room, but how can we advocate for multi-use trails when we do that kind of damage?

More
4 years 6 hours ago - 4 years 6 hours ago #44753 by Painfulldischarge
Painfulldischarge replied the topic: Re: 6 Hours of Power
weak...Skidder gets to post whatever he wants.

Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST
Last Edit: 4 years 6 hours ago by Painfulldischarge.

More
4 years 7 hours ago #44752 by Jon Sundquist
Jon Sundquist replied the topic: Re: 6 Hours of Power
Sorry, Painfuldischarge, I had to moderate your response because it violates the posting rules rules which don't allow ad hominen attacks. This is not a reflection on your comments (although stepping out of moderator role, I would say that the conditions is *not* how it always is up there, and the soils are not clay). I think pmac hits it on the head saying its easy to see both sides of this.

More
4 years 8 hours ago #44751 by pmac225
pmac225 replied the topic: Re: 6 Hours of Power
I can definitely see both points of view on this. The race scene is a vital part of the local MTB scene. You can't really schedule races around the weather so much. I can only imagine the logistics involved in organizing a race. However, they can wreak havoc on the trail conditions. Fortunately, the local races are limited to a few select trails.

More
4 years 11 hours ago #44749 by Mack
Mack replied the topic: Re: 6 Hours of Power
An enormous effort goes in to play regarding planning for events but yes-that doesn't always justify a go or no-go scenario. An enormous effort is in que regarding trail repair as well based on conditions we were handed due to last weekend's weather.
If you would like to discuss please update your profile to show your contact information so I can reach you or reach out to me and I will be happy to lend an ear on how important this is to us as well through the web-site. Trail disrespect is never intended.

Thank you.
Mack
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.340 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.