Chico Epic 8 ?

More
7 years 6 months ago #40299 by TGS
TGS replied the topic: Re: Chico Epic 8 ?

bennymack wrote: Not sure how this topic jumped over here but anyway. Anyone remember McCauley mountain? They used to pay out like 5 deep in every class. I don't know how they did it but it left an impression. I remember going home with $25, - $40 every year! Of course they don't hold a race there any more so perhaps that's why.

www.usacycling.org/results/?permit=2002-881

Ahh nostalgia. I see a few familiar names in there.

Yup, up towards inlet. I was still on the young side for racing when they held those, but I hear good stories about the course. Dang, Im getting the racing bug now!8-)

Ride fast and look good

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #40295 by bennymack
bennymack replied the topic: Re: Chico Epic 8 ?
Not sure how this topic jumped over here but anyway. Anyone remember McCauley mountain? They used to pay out like 5 deep in every class. I don't know how they did it but it left an impression. I remember going home with $25, - $40 every year! Of course they don't hold a race there any more so perhaps that's why.

www.usacycling.org/results/?permit=2002-881

Ahh nostalgia. I see a few familiar names in there.

Opinions are like pimples, they vary in amount and cover different areas.

There is no or, you're going to lose it.

More
7 years 6 months ago #40294 by TGS

jroden wrote:

TGS wrote: So, I don't care, just tell me up front what the prize list is so I don't wait in the cold for 2 hours for some medal.

Man I never consider the prize vault when I race...I just race and get whatever is awarded me. :mrgreen:

Ride fast and look good

More
7 years 6 months ago #40293 by jroden
jroden replied the topic: Re: Chico Epic 8 ?

TGS wrote: How come he wont pay out if hes that good? Thats a ton of money for a race. How much past year?:!:

A lot of participant sports like triathlon have high entry fees and little or no prize money and huge numbers. If I were a mind reader I'd suspect he is looking at the cost-benefit and figuring his model is what's needed to feed his family. I've always been of two mins about cash payouts, I like to win them of course, but for a poorly attended race they can be a budget buster absent a sponsor that pays you cash. Probably you buy more return customers and good will with food or t shirts for the same price, but I'm just speculating.

So, I don't care, just tell me up front what the prize list is so I don't wait in the cold for 2 hours for some medal.

More
7 years 6 months ago #40287 by TGS
How come he wont pay out if hes that good? Thats a ton of money for a race. How much past year?:!:

Ride fast and look good

More
7 years 6 months ago #40284 by CORNROCKET
CORNROCKET replied the topic: Re: Chico Epic 8 ?

Scotto wrote:

CORNROCKET wrote: What has been a big boost here in Canada is the fact that IMBA Canada now offers race event insurance coverage equal to anything the OCA currently offers at a faction of the cost to all IMBA affiliated clubs in Canada. This will hopefully help the grassroots racing scene expand in Ontario and the rest of Canada as the high cost of insurance and control that the OCA/CCA had on racing in Ontario and the rest of Canada is now over.

That's exactly what is happening down here. By insuring MTB races through the IMBA US insurance carrier, were able to put on more events, with the same coverage. And with talking to the IMBA insurance guy, they insure some huge events all over the USA, all at a lesser cost than the other coverage options.
Thanks for straightening all that up Tim. The fact remains they still don't pay out the solos. Unless they started last year, I think it was 2010 when they prized a free entry fee for the solo winners.
Rewind back to the 2007 Summer Solstice where Mark Hendershot (native Canadian) won the solo class by 4 laps. He won a case of energy drink, a jersey and a medal. From what I heard his family lives near Albion Hills, so this is a race he could do all the time. But most if not all top solo guys choose not to race these events because there are no payouts. Racing non-Chico events here in the states, I always enjoyed when the pros are out on their 15th lap and pass me on my 3rd lap with rest in between, like I'm standing still. That is motivating and inspiring. These solos are recognized for their efforts, sometimes 5 deep.
To sum it all up and put this to rest, Chico events are great. 95% of the racers that do his races are there to have a good time, camping and racing their bikes. It's my opinion that he should throw a bone to the solos for their efforts. One, it's not cheap for them and two, it's takes a tremendous amount of planning and training to finish a solo race, let alone win one. I think those efforts should be rewarded a bit more.

I totally agree with you on the solo issue Scott.
But who knows if Chico Racing will ever have cash payouts.

Interesting side note, have you looked at the pricing for the Summer Solstice 24 Hour Race... prices have gone up. :o
I bet it sells out quickly this time around though with them only doing one 24 hour race this year.

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.389 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.