Announcing: RacerUp.com v3.0

More
7 years 7 months ago #39968 by bennymack
bennymack replied the topic: Re: Announcing: RacerUp.com v3.0
OK - I just added a simple search form.

If you're not logged in, it's pretty straightforward. You can enter a zip and max distance from that zip that you'd like to see events from and select some tags that you'd like to include/exclude from the events list. All fields are optional.

If you just enter zip, then it will just populate the distance column. If you also enter a max distance it will limit the events to just those within that radius. You can select multiple tags by holding CTRL and clicking.

Searching with tags can be useful for things like excluding run/ski events. If the events you'd like like to filter by tag don't have the tag info you need, feel free to add some tags till they do!

Once logged in you can also give your searches a name and save them. There's also the notion of a default search that will always be applied if you check it. I made my default search just contain my zip so the distance column is always populated.

After you saved some searches you'll see a list of them at the top. You can click them, then hit go to run them at any time. Or click, alter, and save again if they need some changes.

Enjoy!

Opinions are like pimples, they vary in amount and cover different areas.

There is no or, you're going to lose it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #39964 by bennymack
Quick update here. I did away with the city, state, country stuff and rely solely on the zipcode now. This makes it easier for me to obtain a latitude and longitude for the distance calculations. If you enter a zip/postal code and a city name doesn't appear next to it, then it wasn't found in my database, try again. Otherwise it will use the highest ranked zip for the "crow flies" distance column.

On a related note, I added a distance column similar to before just put in a zip like so: www.racerup.com/events?zip=14226

That's it for now. More to come.

More
7 years 7 months ago #39959 by bennymack

motoloco wrote: How do you edit if you forget to add info?

No problem. Just hit the edit button (#) and add any additional info. You can submit values as many times as you want. It's designed such that many people can add values and then hopefully the best will get voted up to the top. So even if you make a typo, you can just add the correct value, vote it up, maybe vote down the typo, and you're all set. I am considering adding an option to edit existing values but it would have to reset the votes at the very least. Wouldn't want someone to be able to "game the system" by putting in good data, getting it to the top, then changing it to something obscene, not that anyone would go to such lengths I just have an active imagination :lol:

More
7 years 7 months ago #39958 by motoloco
motoloco replied the topic: Re: Announcing: RacerUp.com v3.0
How do you edit if you forget to add info?

Offen Krash

More
7 years 7 months ago #39957 by bennymack
Thanks for the info, Jon! I was not aware of that feature but that's even better than I had hoped.

At this point I guess it's just a matter of hoping some folks with spare time will volunteer to start adding events in. A good starting point is the 2011 schedule. Then see what events from last year are happening again, and maybe see if there are new events listed on their site.

One nice thing about the ability to list multiple values for things is that after the event happens, promoters (or anyone really) can add a link to the results for a nice, easy one-stop directory of race info.

More
7 years 7 months ago #39954 by Jon Sundquist
Jon Sundquist replied the topic: Re: Announcing: RacerUp.com v3.0
Awesome.

Also, I just checked, you don't need a gmail address to log in, just a google account. I was able to sign in using my google account and I don't have a gmail address.

So that's good. Didn't need yet another e-mail address.

Nothing to add yet, though.

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.371 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.