Night riding

More
3 years 1 month ago #44834 by fat guy
fat guy replied the topic: Re: Night riding
Regarding snowmobiles and fatbikes, there are plenty of times when there is little or zero snowmobile traffic. Last year over half the season the trails were closed due to poor conditions in Chautauqua County, yet were prime for pedaling. Those trails are also two way traffic, I've never seen them blasting away blindly at 50 mph, run a blinky at night, wear bright clothes, avoid trails on private property (the clubs work hard for sled access, not bike), get off the trail when you hear them coming, and avoid conflict since raising any issues will end up getting fatbikes kicked off the trails, IMBA and your local club have no intentions of any advocacy for that use. Remember that in general all snowmobile trails lead to the next bar, so if you ride when the bars are closed you won't see many snowmobiles. Avoid high use days, like when trails reopen on a weekend after being closed. Ride smart, don't fight. There are plenty of XC skiers and trail runners that have enough sense to use them safely, no reason not to enjoy them.

This post is not approved by the WNYMBA forum posting approval signoff committee. My WNYMBA socks are in the warsh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 month ago #44826 by Jon Sundquist
Jon Sundquist replied the topic: Re: Night riding
Sometimes you will get hassled at Sprague. At least for dusk rides, they have asked people to leave because the sun has gone down. Would like to keep good relations with the parks department.

More
3 years 1 month ago #44823 by barkeater
barkeater replied the topic: Re: Night riding
I just started night riding this year for real and have ridden Hunters and Sprague. You should be aware though that both those parks are closed at dusk (if your not camping). I've never been hassled. Enjoy!

More
3 years 1 month ago #44816 by tpcrandall
tpcrandall replied the topic: Re: Night riding
Thanks for the replies. Good to know that those trails are available for night riding. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

More
3 years 2 months ago #44815 by twright
twright replied the topic: Re: Night riding
down here in Chaut. County, ride the Overlands and HHE with lights. don't tend to go out during first two weeks of gun season for Deer, but bow season to me seems a bit calmer...so to speak...usually roll out of parking area at dusk, never had issues.

regarding snowmobile trails, no luck yet,, and as stated above some pretty logical/rational reasons... we are looking to groom our own down here and see how successful that is. start a dialogue with a snowmobile club, but be prepared to have the idea shot down for the above reasons... not sure if they welcome x-skiers either..

More
3 years 2 months ago #44814 by Moto Mike
Moto Mike replied the topic: Re: Night riding
I've ridden eville, SB and HC at night with lights, never during hunting season though. Deer hunting may end at dusk, but not all do, for example coyote hunting is open 24-7 and is in season right now.

Please don't ride a fat bike on the snowmobile trails. Bikes are very hard to see on the trails and will end badly if someone were to ever get hit. I came across a couple fat bikes last year near SB as I rounded a corner, they were nearly invisible as they were hidden by the trees. Snowmobile trail speed limits are 55mph, you wouldn't ride your bike down the middle of the Thruway, the same should hold true on sled trails.

2009 Kingdom Trails Lightning Chaser MVP
2010 Asheville MVP

Fear the clown wheels!

"CX bikes are for bisexuals....you are either gay or straight...not both" -Trailhunter

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.