New to Riding/Question about Hunters Creek

More
5 years 4 months ago #44064 by boogenman
boogenman replied the topic: Re: New to Riding/Question about Hunters Creek
Try looking at some bikes at a shop that supports the club and our trails more than Bert's. Sliders, Eville bike shop, Eric's cycle works ect....There is nothing wrong with Bert's or a Trek but maybe another bike brand or shop will suit your specific needs a little better.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #44063 by gt4902
gt4902 replied the topic: Re: New to Riding/Question about Hunters Creek
Ok, great. Thank you everyone for your insight. I will take your advice and try Sprague Brook first. I will probably be going there next Sunday. I will most likely be upgrading my bike soon anyways. I bought a Diamondback Outlook from Dicks last year and the only trails I have ridden on so far were at Losson Park. Even though the trails there are groomed walking paths, my front suspension seemed to struggle and bottom out over some of the larger bumps. It also does not shift very smooth.I took it to dicks for a tuneup and they told me that those were normal issues with the bike as it is basically a beginners bike. Im planning on buying a Trek 3500 from Berts sometime soon. Hopefully that should be sufficient to handle the trails. Thank you again for all of your responses, I really do appreciate it.

- Greg

More
5 years 4 months ago #44058 by pmac225
pmac225 replied the topic: Re: New to Riding/Question about Hunters Creek
I agree, Sprague Brook would be a much better choice. It is much easier to navigate and Hunter's can be de-moralizing to a beginner. A $300 bike should do fine there as long as it is all tuned up.

More
5 years 4 months ago #44057 by boogenman
boogenman replied the topic: Re: New to Riding/Question about Hunters Creek
I also recommend Sprauge Brook for a new rider and if you are alone. It's almost impossible to get lost and you won't end up on any trails that are not not ride-able at Sprauge Brook. The Sprauge Brook can be a little long for a first timer but you can always just ride in and them turn around when you have almost had enough. If you don't know Hunters Creek well you can literary ride in circles or figure eights for hours trying to get back to the parking lot.

More
5 years 4 months ago #44051 by Jon Sundquist
Jon Sundquist replied the topic: Re: New to Riding/Question about Hunters Creek
If you are new to riding, the best place to be heading to is Sprague Brook. Yes, the colors on the Hunters Creek map correspond to the colors of the blazes, but the fellow (a hiker) who built all these trails at Hnters Creek (without permission) continues to add more and also add more paint, so there is no guarantee about anything. Most people get lost there all the time, even if they've been going there for years. Best way to navigate is by the intersection markers.

Hunters is an enigma because many of its trails are actually some of the smoothest around. However, it also has many sections that are extremely rooty or rocky. And the trails were not laid out with any consideration to the grade. So a $300 diamondback, if the "$300" part means it is not the most stout bicycle, would be more likely to break here than elsewhere.

Not that Sprague is all smooth trails. The XC ski trails are. And Skunk Ridge and Creekside are. But many of the trails are very rooty and so still can shake up you and your bike. The good thing is you probably won't get lost. Pick up the combined Sprague/Hunters map at Sliders in Colden on the way to the brook and have a good time!

More
5 years 4 months ago #44050 by drabb
drabb replied the topic: Re: New to Riding/Question about Hunters Creek
1) Yes the trails are marked with 'blazes.' So what that means is you'll see trees painted with the trail's color right about eye level. Some of the more major routes will have signs also, a la 'Sgt. Marks'

2) A $300 dollar bike will allow you to test the waters. If you start riding frequently you'll end up having to do one of 2 things; either upgrade ALOT of the parts, or trade up to a nicer bike. Most likely the latter.

That said - if I didn't know the park I wouldn't venture out unless I had a printed map with me. Looking at the map online or in the parking lot is a world away from standing at an intersection at the far end of the park.

Do you know someone who is already familiar with riding at Hunters? If so, I'd wait for an opportunity when the both of you are free so they might show you around. Maybe some folks on here might be riding soon...

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.451 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.