New to Riding/Question about Hunters Creek

More
4 years 6 months ago #44074 by kb voodoo
kb voodoo replied the topic: Re: New to Riding/Question about Hunters Creek

pmac225 wrote: Ride the heck out of that Diamondback for a year or two and upgrade either when it gets tired or you get tired of it. That way you will have a much better idea of what you want.

Exactly!!

The best way to appreciate a good bike, is to suffer with a shitty one.

The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #44073 by pmac225
pmac225 replied the topic: Re: New to Riding/Question about Hunters Creek
Ride the heck out of that Diamondback for a year or two and upgrade either when it gets tired or you get tired of it. That way you will have a much better idea of what you want.

More
4 years 6 months ago #44070 by kb voodoo
kb voodoo replied the topic: Re: New to Riding/Question about Hunters Creek
OP, just get on a bike, any bike, and ride.

Go to any trail. You'll figure it out. It's not that difficult.

Sometimes these guys pretend like mountain biking is a crazy difficult advanced level activity. It's not. It's riding a bike in the woods, and it's fun.

The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...

More
4 years 6 months ago #44069 by boogenman
boogenman replied the topic: Re: New to Riding/Question about Hunters Creek
I prefer Hunters Creek over Sprauge Brook but if I was going to be taking a new rider out for their first ride ever I would take them to Sprauge Brook. I have taken intermediate riders to Hunters and they get discouraged because the terrain can be a lot more challenging and you certainly have to shift gears a lot more.

More
4 years 6 months ago #44068 by superbee70
superbee70 replied the topic: Re: New to Riding/Question about Hunters Creek
I disagree about trying spraguebrook first. Many of us learned to ride at Hunters when that was the only place in town. It can be confusing, take a map and start from the centerline parking lot, AKA upper lot. Then you only have to remember that the creek is on one side, the pipeline and fenced private property on the other and the service road cuts through the middle. Pretty easy to have an idea where you are, if you get disoriented ride till you find one of those and you should be able to figure out where you are. I've never followed the blazes or markers on the trees. Once you get acclamaited then you can cross the creek and try the other side.

Plus, Hunters has a much better variety of skills required than SB.

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #44066 by penguin
penguin replied the topic: Re: New to Riding/Question about Hunters Creek
Greg- when are you heading out to Sprague Brook on Sunday? I might be able to meet you there and show you trails. If you are thinking about getting into mountain biking I would not spend the money on a new Trek 3500 model-it is NOT much of a upgrade from what you have now-regardless of what the Trek website says. The 3500 is listed as a 7 speed with Tourney drivetrain- it is NOT trail ready in my opinion. If money is a deciding factor, you may be better served buying a good used bike or searching for a last year closeout.
I am not trying to be a pompous a$$ and say you need to spend big bucks on a mountain bike but I can't sit by and see you spend your money on another bike path (mountain bike) bike.
What is your budget? What frame size do you need?

Penguin

Mommy- theres a root on the trail! Make it go away! I want my Binkie
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by penguin.

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.365 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.