Western PA

More
4 years 7 months ago #43904 by lukey
lukey replied the topic: Re: Western PA
In the Ohiopyle area, I can highly, highly recommend the riding at Quebec Run Trails...one of my favorites in PA. The only other area I've ridden around there was Laurel Springs. In my opinion, Quebec Run is way more fun. The complete loop is around 2-3 hours riding at a moderate pace. It's got a real "backcountry out there" feel and the singletrack is really varied, rocky, twisty, flowy, techy. Some sweet downhills. It's laid out like more of a giant loop than a network, so it's not the best spot if you don't have time for the full tour, there are not very many ways of shortcutting the system.

Here's a guide:
www.pennsylvaniadirt.com/2009/11/quebec-...rea-trail-guide.html

The road access is a bit weird. To access the trailhead, I recommend Skyline > Kirby > Mill Run School Rd. There's a small stream ford you will have to drive through. The Skyline > Quebec Run route looks more direct on the map, but for that, you might need 4WD, that road is quite primitive with boulders and washouts. There's another parking area near the wind farm on Skyline, which is really easy to find but if you park there, it finishes with an uphill climb.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #43761 by Justin
Justin replied the topic: Re: Western PA

bhx wrote: Here is a map showing the mtb locations around pittsburgh

Map

Greensburg is within 45 minutes of 7 springs, laurel mountain, apollo roaring run and boyce park.

Boyce Park: rolling intermediate trails

Apollo: pretty rocky with decent climbs

laurel mountain: extremely rocky and technical but very flat

7 springs: some rocky sections and big climbs, they also have lift served dh here

The riding at ohiopyle is actually pretty crappy. It's mostly rocky double track. If you come down to greensburg via I79 check out moraine state park sometime. It's extremely rocky with lots of big boulders to roll over.

This is a good summary of riding areas closest to Greensburg. Laurel mountain is fun to ride and there are no big climbs, and also has a good trail map if you are heading out by yourself. Apollo has an easy to follow main loop, and other trails as well but those come with bigger climbs and no markings or signage. Boyce is fun but easy to get lost, kind of like Hunters Creek. Pleasant Valley Park is close by and I haven't ridden there but I hear it has some fun trails, just not a lot of milage. Frick Park is in the city and probably a bit too far away, that is where I ride the most since I live nearby.

More
4 years 8 months ago #43759 by twright
twright replied the topic: Re: Western PA

More
4 years 8 months ago #43758 by fat guy
fat guy replied the topic: Re: Western PA
Meeting at Moraine 1 pm Sunday if anybody has the fever bad enough for the drive.

This post is not approved by the WNYMBA forum posting approval signoff committee. My WNYMBA socks are in the warsh.

More
4 years 9 months ago #43747 by pmac225
pmac225 replied the topic: Re: Western PA
I rode at Boyce park way back as well. I believe it was like Short Hills in Canada.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #43744 by bhx
bhx replied the topic: Re: Western PA
Here is a map showing the mtb locations around pittsburgh

Map

Greensburg is within 45 minutes of 7 springs, laurel mountain, apollo roaring run and boyce park.

Boyce Park: rolling intermediate trails

Apollo: pretty rocky with decent climbs

laurel mountain: extremely rocky and technical but very flat

7 springs: some rocky sections and big climbs, they also have lift served dh here

The riding at ohiopyle is actually pretty crappy. It's mostly rocky double track. If you come down to greensburg via I79 check out moraine state park sometime. It's extremely rocky with lots of big boulders to roll over.
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by bhx.

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.308 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.