Da Brook

More
6 years 1 month ago #42537 by TJ_Zydel
TJ_Zydel replied the topic: Da Brook
I switched from standard 175mm cranks to 170mm based on my leg length and random knee pain. Now I have a smoother pedal flow and don't strike rocks. Crazy how a little bit changes things.

ahhhhh dude...

facebook.com/wnymba

twitter.com/wnymba

Director of Marketing and Promotions

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #42488 by Scottish
Scottish replied the topic: Re: Da Brook
crank length makes a difference as well. I didn't know it until I had both my bikes side by side that the single speed i had traded for had 180mm crank arms on it, and my other had 175mm. That made a lot more sense when i started hitting more roots with my pedals.I initially just thought the geometry of the 2 bikes was different. I hear most of the 29r SS are 32/18 - 32/20 range though

More
6 years 1 month ago #42487 by slower_than_u
slower_than_u replied the topic: Re: Da Brook

CORNROCKET wrote: What gearing are you using for Da Brook?

I use 32/17 on my 29er at the Brook though it does make the two or three steep ups a bit of a challenge. My bike came with 32/20 originally and I found that I barely had to stand up while riding there. 32/18 would probably work nice but IMO, don't go lower than 32/19.

Not very fast but havin' fun!
www.bluelinebicyclerepair.com

More
6 years 1 month ago #42483 by woodi
woodi replied the topic: Re: Da Brook

Sliders Guy wrote: The dry conditions have definitely changed the ride a bit. I switched to a small block Geax AKA tread a while back and it's helped but I still get an occasional spin out at the top of the steeper climbs. The dust acts like a lubricant on some of the smooth roots and hard packed surfaces. Momentum is definitely your friend these days.

I put a 29x2.2 AKA TNT on the back this summer too. Been a great tire in these conditions... I love the bzzzzzzzzip sound it makes when it does slip for a second but then just locks right back in. You can hear and feel it clawing away at things even when it's slipping.

More
6 years 1 month ago #42481 by CORNROCKET
CORNROCKET replied the topic: Re: Da Brook

TrailHunter wrote: Full rigid SS is the way to go. I'm on my 3rd season and have never had a mechanical issue on the trail, no squeaks, creeps, or peeps out of her.

Hey Trailhunter,

Are you on a 29" wheeled bike?
What gearing are you using for Da Brook?

More
6 years 1 month ago #42479 by kb voodoo
kb voodoo replied the topic: Re: Da Brook

TrailHunter wrote: Full rigid SS is the way to go.

After a ride at Hunters a few weeks ago, didn't you look over to me and say. "I need gears and rear suspension"??

Ha!! Burned you!! :D

The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.