Skiing and Mountain Biking

More
7 years 1 month ago #41963 by El_Marko
El_Marko replied the topic: Re: Skiing and Mountain Biking
I do understand how downhill can certainly help, but isn't CrossCountry skiing a more direct comparison?

Climbing, tight turns through trees, negotiating obstacles in the trail (especially in recent, low snow conditions) and so much more. It's the closest sport to MTB without being in a bike, in my opinion. We even ski some of the same trails as we ride!

And when there's a good season, I'm always in better shape for the bike come spring.

Jon- I'm sure you have some "dancing with the trail" thoughts on this, right? ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #41961 by Jon Sundquist
Jon Sundquist replied the topic: Re: Skiing and Mountain Biking

kb voodoo wrote:

Garick wrote: I drive a car very similar to how I ride a bike for instance.

I've also noticed that skiing enhanced my driving abilities in the twisty stuff.

In a similar but opposite vein, if you drive your car the same way you ride your bike when you are at the end of a really long exhausting ride, you get great gas mileage. Just as you learn at the end of a ride the minimum you have to pedal to get over the next rise, and when you can stop pedaling because you have enough momentum to carry you quite a ways down the trail, or when to start pedaling early in a roller to add just the right amount of momentum to get up a rise, you get a feel for when you can let up on the gas pedal and not have to brake later.

I never really transferred this skill over to driving until I got a car with a mileage indicator.

More
7 years 1 month ago #41959 by kb voodoo
kb voodoo replied the topic: Re: Skiing and Mountain Biking

Jon Sundquist wrote: The trick to good MTB riding is that you don't ride the bike. On a road bike, you ride the bike, as in sit on the saddle and crank the pedals (I exaggerate somewhat). On a MTB, the bike is just the interface between you and the ground. Your weight is forward, backwards, sideways. Sometimes you weight the front, sometimes you weight the back. You don't just go turn around corners, you decide when to initiate turns and then execute. You do all these adjustments as a response to what terrain the trail is presenting to you.

These skills are identical to what is needed for skiing. It is actually even more pronounced in skiing, since nobody would seriously think of just "riding" their skis down a mountain (i.e just standing on the boards and gliding). So learning those skills on skis makes them directly transferable to MTB riding.

Well said, Jon.

The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...

More
7 years 1 month ago #41958 by Jon Sundquist
Jon Sundquist replied the topic: Re: Skiing and Mountain Biking
The trick to good MTB riding is that you don't ride the bike. On a road bike, you ride the bike, as in sit on the saddle and crank the pedals (I exaggerate somewhat). On a MTB, the bike is just the interface between you and the ground. Your weight is forward, backwards, sideways. Sometimes you weight the front, sometimes you weight the back. You don't just go turn around corners, you decide when to initiate turns and then execute. You do all these adjustments as a response to what terrain the trail is presenting to you.

These skills are identical to what is needed for skiing. It is actually even more pronounced in skiing, since nobody would seriously think of just "riding" their skis down a mountain (i.e just standing on the boards and gliding). So learning those skills on skis makes them directly transferable to MTB riding.

More
7 years 1 month ago #41957 by kb voodoo
kb voodoo replied the topic: Re: Skiing and Mountain Biking

Garick wrote: I drive a car very similar to how I ride a bike for instance.

I've also noticed that skiing enhanced my driving abilities in the twisty stuff.

The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...

More
7 years 1 month ago #41956 by boogenman
boogenman replied the topic: Re: Skiing and Mountain Biking

drjunk wrote: You should get into the glades next winter, if you get in, I don't think you'll ever come out 8-)

The KB glades? ;-)

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.338 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.