Trail Building at Peek'n Peak

More
7 years 3 months ago #41852 by Jon Sundquist
Jon Sundquist replied the topic: Re: Trail Building at Peek'n Peak
Oh, and in the meantime, we can set up a separate part of the WNYMBA website as P Heller has requested for news and updates about this. I can work on that. It would be under "Trails".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #41851 by Jon Sundquist
Jon Sundquist replied the topic: Re: Trail Building at Peek'n Peak
TJ, maybe I'm mistaken here, but I thnik you missed the point. P Heller is the guy (we should meet!) who is pushing for the trails at Peak n Peek. He is the one getting this thing going. WNYMBA should be in no position to be suggesting he attend a WNYMBA meeting. WNYMBA should be saying "what can we do to support your initiative?". Interested folks from WNYMBA should be going to him. Thom, a WNYMBA and NMABA member, has been active on this, which is good. But we should be going to him rather than the other way around, especially since as P Heller states, these trails will be a somewhat different model from the trails that WNYMBA has developed to date. For 3 reasons:
  1. WNYMBA doesn't really have the technical expertise to develop trails like this. WNYMBA has pretty good experience and track record developing XC trails, but to date nobody has stepped up to go out and get the experience in gravity trails and bring that to this organization.
  2. If people are going to pay for trail access, they expect a very professional trail design and on-going maintenance, as in paid-for mechanical equipment and expertise.
  3. There's always the issue about how much of WNYMBA's official attention should be directed at building trails on private land. There is always the concern about places like Mansfield, Ontario where a lot of volunteer work went in on private land (including an IMBA epic weekend and trail school) only to have the place eventually closed to the public - open only on select race days. That said, I think WNYMBA would encourage any and all who are interested in helping to contact P Heller and help out as soon as approvals are obtained.

It goes without saying that WNY, while being a great place for MTB, is sorely lacking in gractiy options, and this sounds like it could be the opportunity for this finally to get rectified.

Remember, nothing ever gets done anywhere for anything unless there is a driving person or small group of persons leading the charge. It sounds like gravity riders now have such a person after years and years in the person of P Heller. Let's hope this gets off the ground!

More
7 years 3 months ago #41849 by TJ_Zydel
TJ_Zydel replied the topic: Trail Building at Peek'n Peak

PHeller wrote: Boogenman,

While I would agree that sufficient trails can built without equipment, there were many complaints on this forum that folks would not pay a fee to ride "lame" trails.

Whistler has not had its success because a bunch of guys with shovels and chainsaws attacked the mountain. Most of the trails at Whistler were built using some sort of equipment.

This isn't to say a successful trail system can't be built by hand, but it'll take considerably longer. That delay is what makes places boring. If it takes you 4 months of labor to build a new trail, eventually your riders are going to be bored. They'll deal if they are riding for free, but if they are paying they'll want to see new trails every summer, or significant changes to those already in place.

If I may add my 2 cents in...this forum is not wnymba, their views, and majority of the activity is by non members. It is a place for mountain biking interest and opinions to exist...that is all. Wnymba has a large interest with p&p as they have contacted us. It has come up at our monthly meetings with positive feedback. I invite you to attend a meeting this summer. We work with Thom, and a partnership between the 2 clubs to help make biking there a reality is more than possible. I agree that there needs to be a more formal environment to keep things moving. You can pm me or email me for more communication. Thanks.

ahhhhh dude...

facebook.com/wnymba

twitter.com/wnymba

Director of Marketing and Promotions

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #41844 by PHeller
PHeller replied the topic: Re: Trail Building at Peek'n Peak
Here was a sample that I presented at the meeting.

With the ability to build the whole way across the property and the fact that we won't be using the lifts, I'll start laying out some trail designs that incorporate more area.

Attachments:
Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by PHeller.

More
7 years 3 months ago #41843 by twright
twright replied the topic: Re: Trail Building at Peek'n Peak
Boogenman sweet. will keep you in the loop as things start developing.

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #41842 by PHeller
PHeller replied the topic: Re: Trail Building at Peek'n Peak
Boogenman,

While I would agree that sufficient trails can built without equipment, there were many complaints on this forum that folks would not pay a fee to ride "lame" trails.

Whistler has not had its success because a bunch of guys with shovels and chainsaws attacked the mountain. Most of the trails at Whistler were built using some sort of equipment.

This isn't to say a successful trail system can't be built by hand, but it'll take considerably longer. That delay is what makes places boring. If it takes you 4 months of labor to build a new trail, eventually your riders are going to be bored. They'll deal if they are riding for free, but if they are paying they'll want to see new trails every summer, or significant changes to those already in place.
Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by PHeller.

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.515 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.