this past weekend riding the race loop at HV

More
6 years 9 months ago #41031 by kb voodoo
kb voodoo replied the topic: Re: this past weekend riding the race loop at HV
My absolute biggest fear on the trail, by far, is getting my eye poked out by a branch.

That's a far more real concern to me than hitting my head on anything.

How does anyone who is athletic enough to ride a mountain bike not know how to roll out of a crash?

The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #41030 by Moto Mike
Moto Mike replied the topic: Re: this past weekend riding the race loop at HV
I fucked up my shoulder riding before. I should sue IMBA (an organization that has no legal governing power) for not making a rule that full body armor be required too. Life carries risk. Deal with it.

2009 Kingdom Trails Lightning Chaser MVP
2010 Asheville MVP

Fear the clown wheels!

"CX bikes are for bisexuals....you are either gay or straight...not both" -Trailhunter
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Moto Mike.

More
6 years 9 months ago #41028 by boogenman
boogenman replied the topic: Re: this past weekend riding the race loop at HV

jroden wrote: Modern bike helmets are pretty comfortable and lightweight

That is the confucing part for me, the last 2 people I saw on the trail without a helmet were both wearing a baseball cap. A helmet is a lot cooler than a baseball cap, more comfy IMO too.

Speaking of helmets sliders has a nice line of Kali helmets in stock right now. Really light weight, lots of vents and the Amara even has a built in mount for a light, GoPro or other camera.

More
6 years 9 months ago #41027 by kb voodoo
kb voodoo replied the topic: Re: this past weekend riding the race loop at HV

El_Marko wrote: IMBA RULE #6
Always wear a helmet.

Please do not say otherwise. Rule, regulation... symantics.
It's as basic to our sport as any of the "rules/regulations" we all follow - its as important as "yield to hikers." Should we question that rule as well?

There's not a single person on this forum that would argue with this point if they had the memory of a neurosurgeon holding their broken helmet in their hands, in the ICU, saying "you'd be a vegetable without this."

I don't want to argue this point either. But I'm telling you right now, there are more and more people riding without helmets and it's a matter of time before someone fucks themself up on one of our local trails. All it will take is one pathetic lawsuit to change all your minds.

Hey man, I'm with you.

I think everyone who needs a helmet should wear one.

The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...

More
6 years 9 months ago #41026 by El_Marko
El_Marko replied the topic: Re: this past weekend riding the race loop at HV
IMBA RULE #6
Always wear a helmet.

Please do not say otherwise. Rule, regulation... symantics.
It's as basic to our sport as any of the "rules/regulations" we all follow - its as important as "yield to hikers." Should we question that rule as well?

There's not a single person on this forum that would argue with this point if they had the memory of a neurosurgeon holding their broken helmet in their hands, in the ICU, saying "you'd be a vegetable without this."

I don't want to argue this point either. But I'm telling you right now, there are more and more people riding without helmets and it's a matter of time before someone fucks themself up on one of our local trails. All it will take is one pathetic lawsuit to change all your minds.

More
6 years 9 months ago #41025 by indigo22
indigo22 replied the topic: Re: this past weekend riding the race loop at HV
Well said kb.

Maybe a focus on beginners, trail etiquette, safety, and the why's of helmets. You're not going to change the mind of someone who has been doing it for so many years by telling them how right you are and how wrong they are.

lowly shop broom pusher since 2000

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.487 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.