this past weekend riding the race loop at HV

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #41259 by Jon Sundquist
Jon Sundquist replied the topic: Re: this past weekend riding the race loop at HV

yamba6 wrote: I was simply saying "your" as in the first person to comment about the rules.

OK, just checking to make sure you weren't referring to WNYMBA. In the old WNYMBA website, the forum (called "the Lounge" back then) was more intertwined into the website, so many people often thought the posts on the forum were official WNYMBA positions. We fixed that for the most part with the site redesign of last year where we have relegated the forum to a minor part of the website and encoraging people to go visit main page(s) to see what is going on (where there is actual official WNYMBA stuff).

But because of the problems we had with the old "lounge", some of us are sensitive about this issue.
Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Jon Sundquist.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #41255 by yamba6
yamba6 replied the topic: Re: this past weekend riding the race loop at HV

Jon Sundquist wrote:

yamba6 wrote: To start, this thread was simply about riding and to check out the video, not about helmets and or safety.....That's what safety threads are for. As for your "rules" who exactly is enforcing them on the trails, because I have yet to be yelled at by anyone (given a ticket) for riding without a helmet. lol So rules or not, who care.... everyone does what they want.

Exactly, the whole helmet wars thing has been going on since the days of usenet before the web so there is no point in rehashing it. I am curious though, whose "rules" are you referring to? I hope when you say "your" you aren't referring to WNYMBA?

I was simply saying "your" as in the first person to comment about the rules.

We usually ride with people knowing the situations at hand. We tell them that 1 or maybe 2 people will be without a helmet. If they choose not to ride with us... so be it.

Anyways, we will have another video on the way soon.

More
6 years 11 months ago #41254 by twright
twright replied the topic: Re: this past weekend riding the race loop at HV
Not trying to keep this fire going.... but..... even though IMBA calls them rules of the trails. I guess they may be considered guidelines that will help insure our continued access to where we legally can enjoy our sport. no tickets, no yelling, but I personally have rode off in the other direction from a group ride with folks not suited up. that's my choice, and that's their choice. heck,, they probably had a better time on the trails without me anyway..

www.imba.com/about/rules-trail

Rules of the Trail

IMBA developed the "Rules of the Trail" to promote responsible and courteous conduct on shared-use trails. Keep in mind that conventions for yielding and passing may vary in different locations, or with traffic conditions.

Ride Open Trails: Respect trail and road closures — ask a land manager for clarification if you are uncertain about the status of a trail. Do not trespass on private land. Obtain permits or other authorization as required. Be aware that bicycles are not permitted in areas protected as state or federal Wilderness.
Leave No Trace: Be sensitive to the dirt beneath you. Wet and muddy trails are more vulnerable to damage than dry ones. When the trail is soft, consider other riding options. This also means staying on existing trails and not creating new ones. Don't cut switchbacks. Be sure to pack out at least as much as you pack in.
Control Your Bicycle: Inattention for even a moment could put yourself and others at risk. Obey all bicycle speed regulations and recommendations, and ride within your limits.
Yield Appropriately: Do your utmost to let your fellow trail users know you're coming — a friendly greeting or bell ring are good methods. Try to anticipate other trail users as you ride around corners. Bicyclists should yield to other non-motorized trail users, unless the trail is clearly signed for bike-only travel. Bicyclists traveling downhill should yield to ones headed uphill, unless the trail is clearly signed for one-way or downhill-only traffic. In general, strive to make each pass a safe and courteous one.
Never Scare Animals: Animals are easily startled by an unannounced approach, a sudden movement or a loud noise. Give animals enough room and time to adjust to you. When passing horses, use special care and follow directions from the horseback riders (ask if uncertain). Running cattle and disturbing wildlife are serious offenses.
Plan Ahead: Know your equipment, your ability and the area in which you are riding and prepare accordingly. Strive to be self-sufficient: keep your equipment in good repair and carry necessary supplies for changes in weather or other conditions. Always wear a helmet and appropriate safety gear.

More
6 years 11 months ago #41252 by Jon Sundquist
Jon Sundquist replied the topic: Re: this past weekend riding the race loop at HV

yamba6 wrote: To start, this thread was simply about riding and to check out the video, not about helmets and or safety.....That's what safety threads are for. As for your "rules" who exactly is enforcing them on the trails, because I have yet to be yelled at by anyone (given a ticket) for riding without a helmet. lol So rules or not, who care.... everyone does what they want.

Exactly, the whole helmet wars thing has been going on since the days of usenet before the web so there is no point in rehashing it. I am curious though, whose "rules" are you referring to? I hope when you say "your" you aren't referring to WNYMBA?

More
6 years 11 months ago #41242 by yamba6
yamba6 replied the topic: Re: this past weekend riding the race loop at HV
Bump, did some riding yesterday (I am the one in the video with the helmet)

To start, this thread was simply about riding and to check out the video, not about helmets and or safety.....That's what safety threads are for. As for your "rules" who exactly is enforcing them on the trails, because I have yet to be yelled at by anyone (given a ticket) for riding without a helmet. lol So rules or not, who care.... everyone does what they want.

Anyways, had a great time riding yesterday. Forgot my helmet but definitely went a lot harder on the Downhills than I have been. I'm starting to feel a lot more comfortable on the bike again. Should have another video coming soon.

More
6 years 11 months ago #41112 by bennymack
bennymack replied the topic: Re: this past weekend riding the race loop at HV
I don't wear a life vest when I sail.

Opinions are like pimples, they vary in amount and cover different areas.

There is no or, you're going to lose it.

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.483 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.