Coywolves! NOT A PET! a wild animal

More
6 years 8 months ago #38962 by boogenman
boogenman replied the topic: Re: Coywolves! NOT A PET! a wild animal
Although I find almost all of this very funny, entertaining and complete BS I must say that I also had a possible Mt. Lion sighting about 5 years ago in Glenwood.

I thought I saw a large(75LBS+) cat like looking creature run across Ridgetrail in cranerigde. It was dusk and about 100+ yards away so I am not sure what it was.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #38961 by kb voodoo
kb voodoo replied the topic: Re: Coywolves! NOT A PET! a wild animal
I had a mountain lion cross the road in front of me on I-86 near ASP years ago. There's no mistaking it for anything else.

The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...

More
6 years 8 months ago #38960 by LeapingDog
LeapingDog replied the topic: Re: Coywolves! NOT A PET! a wild animal
About 11 years ago I went off roading in my 4X4 in Allegheny State Park.

There are some very remote logging roads back there. I was near or on PA border as the sun was setting. I was traveling very slow (less than 3 mph) due to the extremely rough washed out dirt road, when I swear a mountain lion crossed about 20 feet in front of my truck. It had a very long tail, which gives its profile a very distinct look. Anyway, the cat slowly crossed in front of my vehicle's path while looking directly at me.

I stopped my truck and turned off the engine with all windows rolled down so I could hear it walking. The cat crossed the road and climbed onto a 3 ft berm just beside the road which had a slight bit of cover. It was creepy because the cat just stopped there, sat down and stared at me for at least 2 minutes. I am sure that the cat thought that I could not see it, but I had angled my truck so that the headlights were pointed at it.

It was creepy, because it showed no fear and just stared at me. If I kept on my way, it could have easily jumped in my passenger side window, because it was about 2 feet from where I would have passed, on an elevated berm.

I have told people about this encounter, and am never sure if they believe me, but I swear it is the truth. Again, it was in a very remote part of the park, just as the sun was setting.

More
6 years 8 months ago #38959 by Andrew Brautigam
Andrew Brautigam replied the topic: Re: Coywolves! NOT A PET! a wild animal
I'm pretty sure that there are both cougars and coyote/dog/wolf hybrids on the east coast.

I've heard a ton of anecdotal stories about mountain lions in NY. I have *heard* the deal is that the DEC has to come up with a management plan for the animal if there is a confirmed population. The management plan for mountain lions is: don't get eaten.

Crazy story though - glad your dog is OK.

More
6 years 8 months ago #38947 by LeapingDog
LeapingDog replied the topic: Re: Coywolves! NOT A PET! a wild animal
Check out this article from CNN about a cougar who traveled from South Dakota to Connecticut.

CLICK ON LINK

More
6 years 8 months ago #38946 by Jesse@mud-usa.com
Jesse@mud-usa.com replied the topic: Re: Coywolves! NOT A PET! a wild animal
As far as cougars, many of my neighbors in the West Falls/Colden Area have seen them. OP animal control estimates 2 pairs are around...

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.