Sprague Brook Conditions

More
11 years 8 months ago #13814 by Kevin Preston
Kevin Preston replied the topic: Re: Sprague brook?

Jon Sundquist wrote: It's better to ride through than walk around. Going around a wet spot, whether it is on foot or bike widens the trail.

Agreed, but the few spots that playpunk has mentioned have already become braided and are pretty deep in the center with no ability to de berm and can easily be walked on the edge without causing any further damage as opposed to the single track wet spots which as Jon indicated by all means please ride through the center of the wet spot.

playpunk and others you may not know but last fall we put in an alternative to what we call the "accidental trail" which most likely is the double track that you are refering to. As you head west along the pipeline take the first right into the woods after you clear the three drainage areas and is double track as well and maybe a 75 yards long which joins right back up with dry and high single track, I'm pretty sure there is a flourescent flag there and will avoid some of the wetter sections until we can get some corduroy in there. Thanks in Advance

Kevin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #13812 by Jon Sundquist
Jon Sundquist replied the topic: Re: Sprague brook?
It's better to ride through than walk around. Going around a wet spot, whether it is on foot or bike widens the trail.

More
11 years 8 months ago #13810 by Kevin Preston
Kevin Preston replied the topic: Re: Sprague brook?
The stunt is on the list of things to do by the County Foresters that work out of Sprague Brook. Thanks for the update playpunk and go easy on the wet spots (walk around). :D

More
11 years 8 months ago #13807 by Andrew Brautigam
Andrew Brautigam replied the topic: It's all good at the brook
I rode sprague brook today, and it's in surprisingly good shape. There are a few wet spots, and the spots that are usually soggy (i.e. the old doubletrack) are exceptionally bad, but the singletrack is in good shape, dry. There are some trees that need to be chain-sawed, unless somebody has a serious hankering for some character-building hand-saw work, and there's a dangerous stunt that needs taken down over a creek crossing.

More
11 years 9 months ago #13565 by Jerrine
Jerrine replied the topic: Re: Sprague brook?
This afternoon (around 2 or so at the warmning hut), Eirc from the Blvd. EMS store and a group are snowshoeing at Sprague Brook.

More
11 years 9 months ago #13561 by El_Marko
El_Marko replied the topic: Re: Sprague brook?
I'll be hitting Byrcliff tomorrow (Sunday) for sure. Probably around noon or so if anyone wants to join in the fun! I always check the sign-up list for WNYMBA folks.

Spraguebrook was fantastic last Sunday. Did 10 miles there and hit the warming hut hard. I'm not a racer - but only the skaters pass me!

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.253 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.