Ellicottville Conditions

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #45045 by slower_than_u
slower_than_u replied the topic: Ellicottville Conditions
Jon,
I'm sure you've looked at the trail conditions section on the front page of the GROC website? I really like that interface as it can be updated with out "signing in" and it's very easy to bookmark and find.

Or maybe there's a way to alter the Facebook page with a trail conditions section? It has to be different than the way "visitor posts" get relegated to a sidebar that you have to go looking for.

Not very fast but havin' fun!
www.bluelinebicyclerepair.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #45044 by Painfulldischarge
Painfulldischarge replied the topic: Ellicottville Conditions
It was freaky, the lightning felt like it was coming right in on top of us when were in McCarthy. I remember it running on some old double track and grinding up some of the dirt roads once we got out off Porcupine.

EvL is such a great place to ride. I have ridden there for probably over 20 years now, but unfortunately I had already left home in WNY when the system really was getting developed. I would ride when home on school breaks or for visits after that and would see almost nobody in the trail system. Now on a decent summer weekend day, you run into a good amount of people back in there (or at least within a short distance from HV) and having a post ride swim/beer in Spruce Lake. ( I still never see anybody back on Bent Rim). Its cool to see the growth in use of this great resource.

Anyway, back to topic. Have you guys thought about maybe using Instagram for trail condition posts? Seems like everybody uses it now and all the ski resorts use it to report conditions (they lie though). Its very easy to post on from your phone, so it would be pretty user friendly and a way to get people on the ground to post up conditions. Just a thought. Keep up the good works. and thanks again.

Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #45043 by Jon Sundquist
Jon Sundquist replied the topic: Ellicottville Conditions
I remember that race. I was one of the organizers. We definitely were concerned about trail damage back then. Twice when WNYMBA was running Roots Rocks and Ridges, including that one with the thunderstorm, we had to reroute the race course onto old logging roads and dirt roads. People didn't like it but we couldn't risk the trail damage, not only for continued access, but the DEC permit for the race held us responsible. We still used some sections of singletrack, and had to schedule a couple of work days during prime riding season to repair the trails after that. That's part of the reason we don't run RR&R and more. This time of year is good for trail work, but mid summer is for riding!

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #45042 by Painfulldischarge
Thanks for getting back to me. I thought maybe you guys moved to another forum or social media platform to post conditions. I know its still mud season up there. I grew up in WNY and seen it snow 3 or 4 inches in early May. I remember doing a race in a full on thunderstorm, once we headed out of HV and into McCarthy, it was like riding on ice between the wet roots and wet clay. Beside being very difficult to ride when wet, its not very enjoyable and the bike clean up in a pain, that clay really sticks (Nobody really thought about trail damage back then, but there is that reason as well). I normally wait until late May to start looking for time to get up there and ride.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #45041 by Jon Sundquist
Jon Sundquist replied the topic: Ellicottville Conditions
Yup, nobody seems to post conditions here any more. I am open to other methods of getting conditions out there. It is most important in the spring because it takes a while for the trails to dry out. Suffice it to say they are not ready yet, since it is pretty much raining or snowing every day. No spring this year. Forecast for E-ville is snow every day through Thursday, then not getting out of the 40s.

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #45040 by Painfulldischarge
Jon,
It looks like the forums on this website don't get much use anymore. I figure it will probably be rideable in Evl by May and I start to get the itch to head back home to WNY for some of my favorite trails in Evl: where is a good place to get trail condition info for Evl.? I usually get up there a few times over the season to ride, but its hard getting trail info anymore. I have to pretty much check/watch the trending weather for a couple weeks before I'm thinking of going up, which is kind of a pain.. I hit up the Bike n Bean with a random email last summer, since he does shop rides and was kind enough to get back to me on conditions, but he's running a business so I don't want to bug him. If you would let me know a good place to check, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.318 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.