Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Sprague Brook Conditions

Re: Sprague brook? 8 years 11 months ago #11994

I am pretty sure that Sprague Brook got hit by yesterdays line of thunderstorms. Which means that the trails are most likely quite wet and muddy. If anyone has any other information speak up, otherwise I certainly won't be rideing tonight.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Sprague brook? 8 years 11 months ago #11980

We do seem to get a decent shot of rain every week that seems to be just a recent memory but we'll have to go with what Ben and onyouright are saying for now as to the real conditions.

Jon, any luck on getting a Sprague Brook trail conditions section up so riders can post condidtions?

Kevin

Re: Sprague brook? 8 years 11 months ago #11977

Rode SB for the first time last night. From all I heard about the trail, I'd have to say the trail is in need of some serious dry weather to dry out. The bikes and riders got pretty muddy. Those little rock sections that bridge some of the creek crossings are now dangerously slippery. Just some info that I thought I would pass along. Looking foward to riding it when it's dry.

Re: Sprague brook? 8 years 11 months ago #11975

I was just out working on the signs. The trails are in similar condition to last week. If it does not rain before Wednesday night I think things will be ridable. But if we get any amount of rain before then I would stongly advise against riding.

I was on one of the drier sections, not the sections that are frequently wet. My report is really an optimistic educated quess as to the condition of the wet sections, so really Rain = NO riding in my opinion.

Re: Sprague brook? 8 years 11 months ago #11970

Do you think that (if we do not get more than 0.2" rain) it would be OK to ride Wed?
Respect your local Woodland Spirits

¿dɯnɾ ʇsɐl ʇɐɥʇ ʇıɥ əɯ əəs noʎ pıp

WNYMBRO is NOT dead, it just smells funny.

Re: Sprague brook? 8 years 11 months ago #11968

Sprague Brook will hold up to heavy rains well because the trail layout is designed in such a way that it really isn't susceptible to washouts. The last time I was there after a heavy rain all the drainage was perpendicular to the trail and flowing into well established drainage tracks which is totally different than water flow on a fall line trail (like those driveways Geoff)which is what causes washouts. Point of reference is the ATV uphill / downhill that is directly down a fall line and is highly eroded. The only other place that is susceptible to washouts is the snow mobile trail which is about 75% fall line from top to bottom and is why it appears slightly different at the bottom after every heavy rain. It's high on my list to layout a single track to the west of the snow mobile trail with multiple switch backs (hopefully non bench cut) which is sustainable and a lot better climb than the snow mobile trail.

Kevin

Re: Sprague brook? 8 years 11 months ago #11964

My dog and I hiked the entire trail yesterday and then some more today. There are some deep mud holes but no wash outs

Any info on conditions in Glenwood/Sprague Brook? 8 years 11 months ago #11963

I was over into Eden and Boston Sunday and there must have been some flash flooding. A lot of wash outs, Clarksburg Rd was closed due to debris and damage. There were several gravel driveways that washed down the hill into the creek.
If that cell traveled East over to Glenwood, I am sure that more than a little of Sprague Brook washed out.
Respect your local Woodland Spirits

¿dɯnɾ ʇsɐl ʇɐɥʇ ʇıɥ əɯ əəs noʎ pıp

WNYMBRO is NOT dead, it just smells funny.

Re: Sprague brook? 8 years 11 months ago #11890

A lot of work still needs to be done on the west side, and will be, especially come fall when trail work days start up again.

But, if it remains dry like it has been for a week now, yeah you can ride. Hopefully tonights rain forcast will be light or non-existent.
2008 Asheville MVP. J2DB. Ride Matador Fiore Ride! El Nino! Chunky Monkey!

Re: Sprague brook? 8 years 11 months ago #11888

• Joker
Trails are in good shape then? I hope to get a ride in there tommorrow afternoon.
Why...so...serious?

Carolina Blue Skies, Baby!

Re: Sprague brook? 8 years 11 months ago #11887

What a great (huge) turnout we had last night.

Nice to finally meet some of you.

See you next wednesday! Unless I see you first on Sat or Sun!
2008 Asheville MVP. J2DB. Ride Matador Fiore Ride! El Nino! Chunky Monkey!

Re: Sprague brook? 8 years 11 months ago #11868

Woohoo, no rain today after all. The whole loop might be in good shape for the group ride Wed. See you all out there after work.

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 3.458 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.