Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ellicottville Conditions

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 9 years 2 weeks ago #10948

I hiked Bent Rim with the kids on Wednesday. Tough to follow with all the leaf cover. It sure is dry.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 9 years 2 weeks ago #10945

Everything is bone dry. Even the rain trail. Unheard of for April. Well, I guess they are forecasting rain for the weekend. Terrible timing! If the rain isn't too heavy, things should still be in good shape for riding Saturday, since things are so dry. Lots of leaves on the trails, still.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 9 years 10 months ago #8743

We've all died and gone to MTB heaven!!!! Sweeeeeeeet- Get out and ride!
Penguin
Mommy- theres a root on the trail! Make it go away! I want my Binkie

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 9 years 10 months ago #8553

Friday afternoon was nice, the evening was wet with thunderstorms. Little Valley bore the brunt of the storm, so I'd say conditions are just a bit greasy.
Long Live Long Rides

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 9 years 10 months ago #8547

:arrow: :arrow: Despite the torrent of rain that fell on Hunter's Creek, Ellicottville appears to have escaped any major precipitation. I rode there Friday June 10 for about three hours and conditions were primo. I was able to ride the entire Roots, Rocks, and Ridges course on semi-slicks. You can tell that there has been some rainfall, but it must have soaked right in. For you riders coming from the North (i.e. Buffalo area) take the extra half hour to drive down to Holiday Valley and let Hunter's dry out for a few days. It will recover.
One more thing...You must find the Jade Monkey before the next full moon!

Conditions 10 years 3 weeks ago #7982

Did a trail run this afternoon on Big Merlin to see how things are shaping up. Conditions are perfect, very dry. Trial can be challenging to follow because of the leaves so keep an eye out for markers. One big tree down on the south section.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 10 years 3 weeks ago #7925

I couldn't believe it when I talked to Bill Friday night and he said the trails were in good shape. But Bill lives down there and knows when to hit the trails and when to stay on the roads. So after some trail flagging adjustments for next week's work day, we hopped on the bikes. Big Merlin usually dries best, so we did that and 97+% of it is in great shape. 100% of it is better than it was most of last year.

Porcupine still is a little soft but ridable without guilt. Yukon's has the usual spring run off issues.

That's all the single track we did. We also did a bunch of logging roads that were wet in places but not muddy.

Still lots of snow on Mutton Hollow Rd. on the Little Valley side of the hill, and also on one spot on East McCarty Hill.

Though we didn't check, I suspect that Rain Trail, Rim, and perhaps sections of middle and south Pale Ale may still be wet, but overall, things drying faster than you expect one wek after a one-foot snow storm (with not all the snow under that melted yet). Holiday Valley is still open for skiing.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 10 years 9 months ago #6035

The 6HOP trails should have held up very well. The Rain trail was our only concern, and I doubt there was any major impact there. Mother Nature finally cooperated with us.
Long Live Long Rides

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 10 years 9 months ago #6032

Thanks for the update krakerman. It is info like this that makes this page useful. Connector and the trail that splits off left (if you are looking uphill) are old log roads that can tend to be wet. We developed them into trails by marking them and clearing of blowdown, but otherwise didn't do any work on them. Because these are old log roads, and thus already wide and well used, these are just the type of "trails" to be used in any condition, such as when the singletrack is wet and needs to be left to dry out.

So, how were conditions for 6HOP today? Coudn't make it down myself (conditions at Hunters were pretty good, though). I'm hoping the ultra-heavy usage of a 6-hour race didn't leave them too worse for wear.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 10 years 9 months ago #6027

I was in Eville on Friday 7/9. Parked at the tower and rode the white trail up to buzzards breath, mutton hollow, yukons lunch, connector and middle pale ale. It was surprisingly dry, with the exception of connector, and when going up connector, the trail that splits off to the left part way up. Those two were pretty messy.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 10 years 10 months ago #5823

Cool, I've read good things about Ashville, NC. Eville was fairly dry yesterday (6/21) did a short ride through the part of the race loop to white trail at the tower to Canfield finishing at Holimont. Quick heavy rain today though, hopefully the trails stayed dry.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 10 years 10 months ago #5818

Hello fattire06. No, no snorkel was available. I just got back from some
spectacular riding near Asheville NC. Man, what a place. :lol:

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.963 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.