Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ellicottville Conditions

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 11 months ago #12113

The trails are drying out quite well. Ride 'em!
Long Live Long Rides
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 11 months ago #12055

Yeah. It will be an interesting experiment. They should recover well if (a) they don't get widened, and (b) the berms don't get built up too bad. I'm anxious to see how it recovers.

The soil is definitrly different from Hunters Creek. That much use at hunters under wet conditions would lead to a lot of problems with widened trails and deep mudholes being dug.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 11 months ago #12054

I think the McCarty Hill/Rock City SF trails should be fine by week's end. Please try to minimize any impact until then.
Long Live Long Rides

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 11 months ago #12053

Jon Sundquist wrote:
I think this year should be the last for the RR&R. I think it sends the wrong message that it is OK to ride in those types of conditions.

or maybe just the last wnymba RRR?
Long Live Long Rides

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 11 months ago #12050

Sorry, obvioulsy I didn't know Hunters was rained on so hard. Stay away.

And yeah, much of FLT is too delicate to ride. But we actually rode the section between 4 rocks and Billygoat with the state College guys. This section is rarely ever used and it shows (because its insane-2 more flats!). It mostly rock gardens in that area as you know.

Mike and I were surprised how little mud was on our bikes, but we rode only the drier areas (literally turned around and did it back again). Bill's hill was the wetest area we rode-no surprise there. Rim's conditions were surprisingly pretty good.

Bill and Joe worked on the Rain trail for many hours...say thanks to them!
2008 Asheville MVP. J2DB. Ride Matador Fiore Ride! El Nino! Chunky Monkey!

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 11 months ago #12049

East Aurora got rain Thur, Fri and Sat. Hunters has got to be a mess. I rode on the road both Sat. and Sun. and yesterday I went by Hunters parking lot and there were riders there which got me pissed off. It's not the place to go to after three days of rain.

Todd: Saw you and Mike heading down the the thruway Sunday morning while I was heading to UB for my son's swim meet. Good suggestions you have except this important clarification:

Also avoid the FLT in E-ville. I think some people keep forgetting that this trail is closed to bikes in every other state forest in the state, and the FLT folks continue to argue to get it closed here also (they brought it up just recently with the meetings related to the reroutes for the new HV pond). If this trail gets trashed, we could lose access. So skip the FLT until is dries out.

This is why the principle reroute work that we did for the RR&R was to get it off the FLT except where it was on log roads. I think this year should be the last for the RR&R. I think it sends the wrong message that it is OK to ride in those types of conditions.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 11 months ago #12048

Ben what's up in Colden / Glenwood maybe we can get a jump on canceling Wednesday's ride at Sprague for a change if conditions aren't going to get any better.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 11 months ago #12047

hunters got significant rain thursday and more on saturday, so I wouldn't count on it being dry

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 11 months ago #12045

Lotsa people visiting this weekend from other areas (state college, PA and Toronto, etc). Too bad they didn't see Eville at its best.

It's sloppy out there! And the weather is calling for record temps, record humidity, and resulting spotty showers for the next few days.

Then finally a cool down, and maybe less showers with drying out just in time for the MTB Fest.

Please, don't ride Eville's east side for a few days (the trails 90% of what people ride, some exclusively-like Rain, Dead Dog, Big Merlin). If you must ride, ride the central stuff (FLT, Anderson, Buzzards, Mutton, Porcupine)

or
try Hunters Creek...still prob pretty good.
2008 Asheville MVP. J2DB. Ride Matador Fiore Ride! El Nino! Chunky Monkey!

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 11 months ago #12042

It has rained pretty much every day this week, so don't expect stellar conditions.
Long Live Long Rides

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 9 years 2 days ago #11674

As of Monday July 3rd the race loop is a mess, the rocks in the rock garden are the least of anyones worrys with all the mud there. Hopefully it all dries out by 6HOP this weekend.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 9 years 1 month ago #11308

Jon,
Any chance I could purchase an existing map from you and have it shipped to Maryland?

email me at: marcus.marcinelli@ngc.com

Mark

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.355 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.