Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ellicottville Conditions

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 10 months ago #12502

philshep wrote:
So hypothetically speaking lets say it rains but not downpours. Are these trails susceptible to rainfall or do they drain out well?
What part of Ontario are you from? They are definitely not like the sandy conditions like at Mansfield, but they are better than the Till-type soil in Erie County and the Niagara Peninsula.

We had to spend a 20-person work day repairing trails after holding the Roots Rocks and Ridges race the day after a heavy rain.

Also, I rode Monday after last weekend's rain. The trails were fine (moist, not wet), but a whole lot less fun because every root and rock was like an ice rink.

Especially since it is late in the season and this week has been good drying, I wouldn't tell anyone not to ride. WE held the RR&R the day after Hurricane Isabel in 2002 and things turned out fine. But personally I would wait, if nothing else because you can't have as much fun due to the slippery roots and rocks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 10 months ago #12501

philshep wrote:
Just wondering, when you reach the top of the ski resort, how much climbing is there for the rest of the ride? Is it mostly rolling or steep ups / downs?

If you are attempting "Ed's Annual Epic Insanity Ride", I would hope Big Merlin or the hills after climbing up from the training center would be of little concern to you.

If you have to park up top, maybe a 30+ ride is too far. Not busting here, but many people from out of town, bite off more than they can chew, and injuries or getting lost results. Just be careful out there!

Show up tonight to be shown around properly!
2008 Asheville MVP. J2DB. Ride Matador Fiore Ride! El Nino! Chunky Monkey!

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 10 months ago #12500

So hypothetically speaking lets say it rains but not downpours. Are these trails susceptible to rainfall or do they drain out well?

I will definitely bring the trail map, but I don’t have a GPS unit (yet… the Garmin 205 is looking quite tasty :D )

I LOVE technical. This ‘Bent Rim’ trail sounds exciting. We have a Bent Rim trail at a place we ride (Hilton Falls) that is pretty heinous.

Just wondering, when you reach the top of the ski resort, how much climbing is there for the rest of the ride? Is it mostly rolling or steep ups / downs?

Thanks
phil

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 10 months ago #12498

philshep wrote:
What’s ‘Big Merlin’? Now you’ve got me afraid, I’m terrified of gnomes :lol:
Big Merlin is one of the more tame trails we built (but still technical enough). But because of this, one is tempted to go pretty fast on it, so in the end it becomes more dangerous.

I always laugh (or get frustrated) when I hear land managers or trail advocates say MTB trails have to be wide and smooth for safety reasons. The safest trail is a super technical rocky and twisty trail!

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 10 months ago #12497

The trails are well marked, but be sure to bring your MAP and perhaps a compass or GPS. If you are not familiar with the area its possible to get turned around.
I am going to try to make it down Monday if there is 36 hrs for the place to dry out. I will be riding south from the tower..
Respect your local Woodland Spirits

¿dɯnɾ ʇsɐl ʇɐɥʇ ʇıɥ əɯ əəs noʎ pıp

WNYMBRO is NOT dead, it just smells funny.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 10 months ago #12496

Wow! Thanks for the quick responses! Thank you Geoff and Jon for the map link. I will be watching the weather hourly on Saturday night with my fingers crossed. If anyone local can post any bad weather tomorrow in the E-Ville area that would be awesome.

What’s ‘Big Merlin’? Now you’ve got me afraid, I’m terrified of gnomes :lol:

So if we’re not from around there, are the trails well marked? I don’t want to be doubting myself 20 miles into a ride :shock:

Thanks again,

phil

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 10 months ago #12495

If you guys ride Big Merlin - keep a look out for that gnome that caused my crash!

Hey - I also heard from Mack that someone got hurt badly running on Big Merlin too... crazy eh?

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 10 months ago #12494

I was just about to post that exact same link.

That link was in response to this thread:

http://www.wnymba.org/viewtopic.php?t=1986

Note, Hurricane Ernesto is scheduled to flood the area on Saturday, so it might be better to wait a week. Conditions are great right now, but...

That's why a night ride is scheduled for this evening at 8 PM. That will probably be pretty epic if you can make it.

Check this out 8 years 10 months ago #12493

You might want to try this ride, it's similar to the IMBA Epic.

[url:223ezkl8]www.wnymba.org/viewtopic.php?t=1989&highlight=eds[/url]

I usually park by the by the tower on Mutton Hollow Rd. Take RT 242 to Whig Street, then make that sharp left onto Mutton Hollow Rd. follow the dirt road up to the tower. If you want to aviod the training center hill.
Respect your local Woodland Spirits

¿dɯnɾ ʇsɐl ʇɐɥʇ ʇıɥ əɯ əəs noʎ pıp

WNYMBRO is NOT dead, it just smells funny.

Imba Epic Ride? 8 years 10 months ago #12491

Hello all, :D

I’m planning to ride the IMBA Epic route this weekend (actually Sunday). I have a few questions!

Most importantly how are the trail conditions?

Does anyone have a map of the actual route? I’ve seen the topo maps but there is no highlighted route for the Epic ride

Are the trails well marked for people coming out of town riding on their own? If not, would someone be interested in joining us to guide?

Is there a way to avoid the climb out of Holimont / Holiday Valley? Is there a parking area at the top of the hill and how to get there?

Is there a place to dump water / food at some sort of halfway point?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

Phil Szczepaniak
Ontario, Canada

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 10 months ago #12275

• Joker
Eville is absolutely in perfect shape.......
Why...so...serious?

Carolina Blue Skies, Baby!

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 10 months ago #12262

• Anonymous
Sick.

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.276 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.