Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ellicottville Conditions

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 8 months ago #12583

rode the race loop, rain trail, and big merlin today, trails in relative good shape, with the exception of some mud on the rain trail
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 8 months ago #12524

We have gotten about 2 inches here in Cheek to Vegas- that is a official tally from my swimming pool that I am draining right now! Still raining. Backyard is a swamp, dog is soaking wet! I'd give it at least till Monday.

Penguin :(
Mommy- theres a root on the trail! Make it go away! I want my Binkie

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 8 months ago #12523

• Cody
A group of us are planning on going up to Holiday Valley tomorrow i was hoping for some advice on which trails will be dried if any. Or should we just save a trail and go next weekend.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 8 months ago #12521

yikes! :(

I guess we'll have to postpone our trip... maybe next weekend or the weekend after...

Stupid rain!! :x

if anyone's up for riding that LONG loop with us let me know and we can arrange a date

thanks
phil

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 8 months ago #12520

I just finished a wicked kayak run down Big Merlin .... awesome!

Bring your snorkel.
I'm guessing we've easily received over an inch so far.
Long Live Long Rides

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 8 months ago #12517

so.... can anyone local tell me what the weather's doing down there as of Saturday Afternoon? It's raining here in Hamilton, Ontario, but lightly...

Thanks
phil

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 8 months ago #12508

Thanks Justin for your great description! I think we will skip the initial climb like you said.

So you say it's comparable? Hilton is the only place around here that we ride in wet weather because it drains so well and its mostly rock!

We do love technical trails. Our Bent Rim Trail up at Hilton is definitely for a specific breed of rider. :twisted: Believe it or not, myself and a few people in our group have cleaned entire trail without a dab.

I built up a new SC Nomad this year and put 2.35 Kenda Nevegal rear and Blue Groove front on it, with the Stik-ee compound. I'm still amazed at what I can get away with on these tires! Slippery roots, rocks etc. are no match for these tires, highly recommended!

Thanks!
phil

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 8 months ago #12507

A group of us rode at Hilton Falls and Kelso Rec Area about a month ago; it rained almost the whole time we were riding, but still provides a good comparison to Eville. The climb up Holiday or Holimont is longer than Kelso and a little steeper, but to do it once is not really a big deal but I would probably just park up on top the hill so you can focus on the better trails. Most of the trails are rolling with some decent sustained climbs and descents, nothing really steep but tiring enough. It is not flat like Hilton and Kelso are, much more hills.

Some trails are very technical, so if thats what you like make sure to ride Pale Ale, Rim, Bent Rim, and the White trail (FLT). That Bent Rim trail at Hilton proved more difficult for me than our Bent Rim because the rocks are even worse (read: more jagged and less rideable) but I think you will enjoy ours.

P.S. Jon, or anyone else, if you are having issues with slippery roots and rocks, then you should try some sticky rubber tires. I have been running the Maxxis Minions 2.35 Super Tacky and they stick so well that I no longer worry about roots and rocks, wet or dry. I only have to slow down a little bit on some sections when its wet, but rarely have I unexpectely washed out. I can say that I will never use anything but sticky or dual tread compound tires from now on.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 8 months ago #12503

We’re normally used to doing climbs of around 400 to 500 feet up the Niagara Escarpment… so no worries about climbing for us! The only thing I was wondering was if there are steep ups and downs (a la Mansfield) or is it mostly rolling when you get to the top? I can see from the topo map that most of the climbing is done up the ski slope… I think?

Jon, our group is from Dundas, Ontario (Hamilton basically). Do you guys do much riding in Ontario? We have a few areas here that are virtually unrideable after rain (clay based), I will stay tuned on this board to see how much in fact it rains tomorrow! It won’t be fun covering that much distance if the trails are really wet.

Thanks
phil

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 8 months ago #12502

philshep wrote:
So hypothetically speaking lets say it rains but not downpours. Are these trails susceptible to rainfall or do they drain out well?
What part of Ontario are you from? They are definitely not like the sandy conditions like at Mansfield, but they are better than the Till-type soil in Erie County and the Niagara Peninsula.

We had to spend a 20-person work day repairing trails after holding the Roots Rocks and Ridges race the day after a heavy rain.

Also, I rode Monday after last weekend's rain. The trails were fine (moist, not wet), but a whole lot less fun because every root and rock was like an ice rink.

Especially since it is late in the season and this week has been good drying, I wouldn't tell anyone not to ride. WE held the RR&R the day after Hurricane Isabel in 2002 and things turned out fine. But personally I would wait, if nothing else because you can't have as much fun due to the slippery roots and rocks.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 8 months ago #12501

philshep wrote:
Just wondering, when you reach the top of the ski resort, how much climbing is there for the rest of the ride? Is it mostly rolling or steep ups / downs?

If you are attempting "Ed's Annual Epic Insanity Ride", I would hope Big Merlin or the hills after climbing up from the training center would be of little concern to you.

If you have to park up top, maybe a 30+ ride is too far. Not busting here, but many people from out of town, bite off more than they can chew, and injuries or getting lost results. Just be careful out there!

Show up tonight to be shown around properly!
2008 Asheville MVP. J2DB. Ride Matador Fiore Ride! El Nino! Chunky Monkey!

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 8 months ago #12500

So hypothetically speaking lets say it rains but not downpours. Are these trails susceptible to rainfall or do they drain out well?

I will definitely bring the trail map, but I don’t have a GPS unit (yet… the Garmin 205 is looking quite tasty :D )

I LOVE technical. This ‘Bent Rim’ trail sounds exciting. We have a Bent Rim trail at a place we ride (Hilton Falls) that is pretty heinous.

Just wondering, when you reach the top of the ski resort, how much climbing is there for the rest of the ride? Is it mostly rolling or steep ups / downs?

Thanks
phil

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.276 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.