Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ellicottville Conditions

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 8 months ago #12714

philshep wrote:
Jon, Thanks for the GPX file! I'll try to download it to my forerunner 205 when i get home from work

I'm in the same boat as you, I've only used my unit so far for collecting data. I figured I'll try to use it as a navigational aid only, accompanied with the paper map.
The size of the GPX file may be too large to upload. Topofusion has a function to reduce the size if you can't get it to load.philshep wrote:
by the way Jon, do you have the trail map available in PDF format? I'm trying to print your map and i can't make out some of the smaller text...
It's that way on purpose :wink: Map sales are what funds the club. the new map will be printed any day now, but I think meanwhile there are still some of the old ones for sale at Mud Sweat and Gears. If you buy one of those and show up again, let me know who you are and we can exchange it for the new ones out next month.
philshep wrote:
So no takers to join our group on Saturday? We'll be there around 9AM.
phil
I was going to do the friday night night ride and then do the trail work day at Sprague Brook. But the rain that was supposed to stop by the end of Wed. hasn't stopped yet, so now I'm not sure about Friday night either.

If it were earlier in the season, I would be more concerned about riding the trails after a week of rain, but usage starts to drop off now and pretty soon they'll be covered with snow and the forst heaves will gives us the annual spring clean slate anyway.

If you have some sticky tires, you'll still have a good time Sat. Hopefully we'll have some drying sun Friday.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 8 months ago #12713

no worries, we're good on the slick stuff, we just don't want to ruin your trails...

if anyone can give me an update on Friday evening i'd appreciate it. we're going to head out Saturday early AM

thanks
phil

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 8 months ago #12711

It's been raining since Tuesday. Come ride, but be forewarned that we have lots of roots and rocks that aren't so friendly when wet. Only the hardcore trail junkies ride when things get slick around here.
Long Live Long Rides

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 8 months ago #12703

Can anyone give me an update on the trial conditions? I know we've had some rain this week, just wondering how long normally it takes to dry up significantly. We're riding Saturday AM.

thanks
phil

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 8 months ago #12684

Jon, Thanks for the GPX file! I'll try to download it to my forerunner 205 when i get home from work

I'm in the same boat as you, I've only used my unit so far for collecting data. I figured I'll try to use it as a navigational aid only, accompanied with the paper map.

by the way Jon, do you have the trail map available in PDF format? I'm trying to print your map and i can't make out some of the smaller text...

That topo fusion looks cool, but I'm not sure if they have topo data from Canada... :(

So no takers to join our group on Saturday? We'll be there around 9AM.

thanks
phil

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 8 months ago #12683

Jon Sundquist wrote:
But spring for the full version at only $40 - it is written by a bunch of Mountain Biker Computer Grad students (<- click that link; some great photos)

Wow, those were awesome photos and a great story. Brings me back, I used to ride those trails all the time.

We're lucky to have people like this connected to our cause.
2008 Asheville MVP. J2DB. Ride Matador Fiore Ride! El Nino! Chunky Monkey!

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 8 months ago #12682

I put a .gpx of the Ed's Excellent Adventure route at http://www.trailmap.us/eds.zip

That should work on your Garmin.

I have never uploaded any tracks into my Garmin GPS760 (I just use it the other way - for making maps. I always know where I am :wink: ), but you probably already know how. Otherwise, you can try this program that I use a lot:

http://www.gpsu.co.uk (GPSUtil)

I use it for converting GPS tracks to shapefiles that I can use in my mapping projects, but it also can apparently upload files to Garmins.

If anyone else wants to play around with .gpx files (like the one in the zip file above) - you can load them directly into [url=http://www.topofusion.com:1vjilimy]Topofusion[/url] which has a demo version available and automatically downloads aerial photos and topo maps for the tracks. But spring for the full version at only $40 - it is written by a bunch of Mountain Biker Computer Grad students (<- click that link; some great photos)

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 8 months ago #12671

that would be great! Thanks!

phil

*EDIT* I just confirmed that we will be riding E'Ville this Saturday (16th). Hopefully the weather won't screw us again.

If anyone that knows the trails would like to ride with / guide us, let me know!

thanks
phil

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 8 months ago #12668

I don't have a GPS track per se, but I can convert anything into a .gpx file that you can import. I would just trace any route and then convert. I'll see if I can get to it by the end of the week.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 8 months ago #12666

Jon may have a track for you to use.
Long Live Long Rides

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 8 months ago #12659

Hello, thinking of riding the epic ride (or variations thereof) on the 16th. has anyone done this ride with a Gramin based GPS device? I recently purchased one and found that it's possible to download GPS data to my unit (Forerunner 205) and it will give me directions on the ride. Anyone?

Thanks
phil

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 8 months ago #12656

• champ
rode rain, sidewinder, big merlin, dead dog, porcupine, yukon's lunch, anderson blvd., buzzard's-trails were decent, a little wet in areas. thanks to beth and ken for kicking my a$$.

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.560 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.