Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ellicottville Conditions

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 9 months ago #12985

Hey Joker
Checkout the trailblazers website;
http://www.tarheeltrailblazers.com/index.cfm
They defintely got it goin' on with no attitude. If ya hadn't already, be sure to checkout Catawba. I haven't been there since they started work on the Olympic Whitewater training park. I'm pretty sure there is alot of good riding there.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 9 months ago #12984

• Joker
This is the worst fall I can remember. Its been raining and/or snowing for what seems like 2 months.

I am really looking forward to going to Charlotte for Thanksgiving week. I am going to try to make up for a lot of lost rides.
Why...so...serious?

Carolina Blue Skies, Baby!

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 9 months ago #12983

.................... and it's still wet, still raining, no relief in sight.
Long Live Long Rides

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 9 months ago #12842

It poured in Ellicottville again today.
Long Live Long Rides

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 10 months ago #12772

I rode up the boundary trail at Holimont which has pretty much been a distaster since RRR, and the race loop at HV which was pretty sketchy too.

The sun is out today though so there should be a brief drying period.

I just try to stay in the puddles when it is wet instead of going around them so I don`t make them any wider than they already are.

Politically Correct, that`s me.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 10 months ago #12768

We'll most likely have soggy, slippery trails for a while (if not the rest of this season).
Long Live Long Rides

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 10 months ago #12764

• TH1
Skidder, What trails did you ride ??? Do you think it will dry out by Wednesday ??

Sunday 9/24 8 years 10 months ago #12760

pretty soggy !

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 10 months ago #12740

Well, we had an awesome day on Saturday! :D

Due to an unfortunate late start (we were riding at around 1:30), we had to remove some two portions.

We started up top at the radio tower, so we took off the initial climb from the training center. We also took a shortcut after Bent Rim and avoided the back loop to save some time. Total ride was 35km (approx. 21 miles). Just got back in time to the car at 7:30!

The trails were a little damp but it added to the 'epicness' of it all :wink:

Great call for the lunch drop off. CCC camp was perfect. We spent about an hour there

I have to say my favorite trail was the section of FLT before reaching the CCC camp. Some MAJOR technical rock gardens there! simply awesome. I also loved porcupine, merlins, yukon, etc etc for the miles of buff singletrack!!

We were starved after the ride, but unfortunately everything in Elicottville was packed! We had to settle for the Ponderosa in Springville :shock:

Great map by the way Jon, we were total foreigners to the trails and the map worked like a charm.

here's a link to our ride on motionbased.com for anyone interested:

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/invi ... ue=1380040

this is a cool overlay of the map on Google Earth

Thanks everyone on this board for the help to make this an awesome ride!

phil

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 10 months ago #12715

Thanks Jon that makes total sense about the map. I'll pick one up at MS&G

About the GPX File, I tried and you're right there's too many points. I'll download the topofusion and try to reduce the number of points.

Fingers crossed for some drying time tomorrow!

thanks
phil

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 10 months ago #12714

philshep wrote:
Jon, Thanks for the GPX file! I'll try to download it to my forerunner 205 when i get home from work

I'm in the same boat as you, I've only used my unit so far for collecting data. I figured I'll try to use it as a navigational aid only, accompanied with the paper map.
The size of the GPX file may be too large to upload. Topofusion has a function to reduce the size if you can't get it to load.philshep wrote:
by the way Jon, do you have the trail map available in PDF format? I'm trying to print your map and i can't make out some of the smaller text...
It's that way on purpose :wink: Map sales are what funds the club. the new map will be printed any day now, but I think meanwhile there are still some of the old ones for sale at Mud Sweat and Gears. If you buy one of those and show up again, let me know who you are and we can exchange it for the new ones out next month.
philshep wrote:
So no takers to join our group on Saturday? We'll be there around 9AM.
phil
I was going to do the friday night night ride and then do the trail work day at Sprague Brook. But the rain that was supposed to stop by the end of Wed. hasn't stopped yet, so now I'm not sure about Friday night either.

If it were earlier in the season, I would be more concerned about riding the trails after a week of rain, but usage starts to drop off now and pretty soon they'll be covered with snow and the forst heaves will gives us the annual spring clean slate anyway.

If you have some sticky tires, you'll still have a good time Sat. Hopefully we'll have some drying sun Friday.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 10 months ago #12713

no worries, we're good on the slick stuff, we just don't want to ruin your trails...

if anyone can give me an update on Friday evening i'd appreciate it. we're going to head out Saturday early AM

thanks
phil

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.314 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.