Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ellicottville Conditions

Mutton Hollow Rd. 8 years 6 months ago #13202

I am coming up xmas eve and am seriously considering bringing my bike. Can you still travel in a car on the the seasonal roads or are they chained off? I imagine they are possible with the lack of snow.

If anyone wants a riding partner during the week of 12/25 - 12/30 call me at 716-699-2130 and ask for Dave.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 6 months ago #13200

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 6 months ago #13198

Bill, can you ride up from the training center? HV is listing 3 trails open and 5 by today.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 6 months ago #13197

And I just did 45 minutes on the trainer - first time since the torn calf. And I felt nary a thing (other than out of breath).

Maybe I'll have to head out this weekend.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 6 months ago #13196

We've got some damn fine trail conditions for late December!
Long Live Long Rides

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 6 months ago #13168

Hang up the bike and wax the skis or board! Snowboard season is upon us

Penguin
Mommy- theres a root on the trail! Make it go away! I want my Binkie

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 6 months ago #13160

Just don't go riding on any trails that are groomed for XC skiing.

One of the justifications for why DEC Region 7 has, and still continues to push for (and for some forests has already implemented) the 6-month (Nov. 1 to April 1) ban on bikes is the claim that bikes were ruining ski conditions. But that apparently was just for some groomed trails at Hammond Hill. We all agreed that bikes should stay off of trails groomed for XC skiing (such as Sprague Brook).

That is a much better solution than just banning bikes for 6 months a year!

Typically, if there is enough snow to allow skiing in ungroomed snow, then conditions aren't really bikable. The best bet for winter riding is on snowmobile trails. They are packed down well. Of course, I just head out on those trails with my skating skis, which would be faster than biking in those conditions anyway.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 6 months ago #13159

Good, it should be bike ride ready soon!

Tips to winter biking here (I swear I dont work for EMS):

http://www.ems.com/content/tentips.jsp? ... 5422021333

And for those newer WNYMBAians, we become the WNY cross-country, snow-shoeing, and downhill ski association in the winter months. Find something to do to keep off the pounds during the holiday months.

You havent had fun yet if you haven't tried to keep up with Jon and Ben at the Brook on XC skiis!
2008 Asheville MVP. J2DB. Ride Matador Fiore Ride! El Nino! Chunky Monkey!

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 6 months ago #13156

6" of new snow, and it's still coming down.
Long Live Long Rides

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 7 months ago #13101

Rode Saturday (11/25) afternoon. Started at training center, rode up to Rain, Sidewinder, DeadDog, Big Merlin, and back thru holiday to finish the race loop. HV trails are pretty messy, the downhill part of the race loop on the open ski run is really wet due to construction, so I would probably not do those again. The rest of the trails are in great shape, only a few wet spots but nothing major, leaves aren't too bad as it seems enough traffic has worn them in to make the trail visible. Saw three hunters, but they were all just walking near the road, not camped out anywhere. Still, definitely recommend bright colors and be wary.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 7 months ago #13088

• champ
pretty good conditions, lots of leaves make it hard to follow big merlin, i got lost at marker 11 and had to retrace back to the road. no hunters that i saw, i did hear some gunshots but they were probably a few miles away from me.

Re: Ellicottville Conditions 8 years 7 months ago #13049

I got some e-mails about a Friday ride, probably meeting at the tower. Wear Orange if you go.

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 1.161 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.