Ellicottville Conditions

More
10 years 5 months ago #14754 by outbreak
outbreak replied the topic: Re: ...e-ville continued

krag krasher wrote: Ted,
Quit being so damn cheap and by a map!
:lol:
IMHO, the best trails their are not McCarty Hill Road. Although White,Yukon, Porcupine,Big Merlin isn't a bad loop....Pale Ale(s), Rim, Bent Rim etc are all way more technical and fun (except for Bent...that's just sick! :shock: .)
John

Thanks Krag & everyone else who responded---

I actually have a map (two, in fact) but I was just wondering where people go and if they start at the training center. Based on my three-plus hour experience on the trails I mentioned (Race loop Rain, Sidewinder, Dead Dog, Big Merlin Race loop), I can't imagine continuing further to more trails without passing out. I'll try varying it a bit on the roads so that i can access porucpine rim and pale ale trails. I'm looking forward to trying something new!!!

Hey Krag -- we should meet up for a ride. I haven't gotten stitches in a long time!!! ;-) )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #14725 by skidder
skidder replied the topic: Re: Ellicottville Conditions
The new downhill section of the race loop is nice right now but I think it will get pretty bad after it rains. How about this weather!!!

More
10 years 5 months ago #14721 by champ
champ replied the topic: Re: Ellicottville Conditions
Jon you're forgetting the best climber on the east coast. . . me!!

More
10 years 5 months ago #14705 by Jon Sundquist
Jon Sundquist replied the topic: Re: Ellicottville Conditions
Conditions were perfect needless to say.

Just a quick note, although this probably just applies to me and Bill, but going up Bill's Hill is definitely an option again; no more axle deep mud from logging up on the top as Bill reported. The logging is not over, but the road is all gravelled. It is actually better than before when it used to have muddy spots on either side of the periodic berms. Now it is all gravel after the single tracky section ends up at the top.

More
10 years 5 months ago #14702 by krag krasher
krag krasher replied the topic: Re: ...e-ville continued

outbreak wrote: Incidentally, what trail loops do you guys do when you go to holiday valley? I've got two loops, but I'd like to vary it a bit.
1. Race loop to Rain Trail, Sidewinder, Dead Dog Loop, Big Merlin, and back across the rest of the race loop and down the hill.

2. Starting at McCarty Hill Forest Road: Same as above but add some of Porcupine Rim.

Where do you park to hit up Yukon's lunch or Pale Ale trail? Do you guys start at the race loop?

Thanks!
-t

Ted,
Quit being so damn cheap and by a map!
:lol:
IMHO, the best trails their are not McCarty Hill Road. Although White,Yukon, Porcupine,Big Merlin isn't a bad loop....Pale Ale(s), Rim, Bent Rim etc are all way more technical and fun (except for Bent...that's just sick! :shock: .)
John

Is that a flower caught in your pedal, or are you just happy to see me?

More
10 years 5 months ago #14697 by Justin
Justin replied the topic: Re: Ellicottville Conditions
Good to hear the trails are in great shape. I'm gonna head down Sunday to ride.

Outbreak, if you're only riding the East McCarty hill trails then you are missing out. The Pale Ale trails and Rim trail are awesome and Mutton Hollow / Buzzards breath trails are fun too. Really everything else is good and there are many possibilities for loops. I do something different every time to mix it up, I hate riding the same loop over and over.

You can ride any of the trails from the training center or McCarty parking area, it just depends how far you want to go. You can do a loop using the trails that alxbrsk1 or myself mentioned that is a similar distance to riding all of the East McCarty trails but more interesting and challenging. If you get too far away you can always take the dirt road back instead of the singletrack which is quicker and easier.

More
10 years 5 months ago #14695 by alxbrsk1
alxbrsk1 replied the topic: Re: Ellicottville Conditions
pick up the white trail off the race loop and head south into the rock city forest. there you can pick up pale ale. riding porcupine trail and yukons to the end will take you to pretty much the same place (near pale ale) but you have to go up some whhoops. get a map or look at the free one under the "maps" section.

More
10 years 5 months ago #14693 by outbreak
outbreak replied the topic: ...e-ville continued
Incidentally, what trail loops do you guys do when you go to holiday valley? I've got two loops, but I'd like to vary it a bit.
1. Race loop to Rain Trail, Sidewinder, Dead Dog Loop, Big Merlin, and back across the rest of the race loop and down the hill.

2. Starting at McCarty Hill Forest Road: Same as above but add some of Porcupine Rim.

Where do you park to hit up Yukon's lunch or Pale Ale trail? Do you guys start at the race loop?

Thanks!
-t

More
10 years 5 months ago #14692 by outbreak
outbreak replied the topic: e-ville trails
Had a nice ride today: Rain Trail, Dead Dog's Loop, Big Merlin, and Porcupine Rim are all in excellent (bone dry) condition. Get out and ride! 8)

More
10 years 5 months ago #14606 by champ
champ replied the topic: Re: Ellicottville Conditions
a nice long epic yesterday, trails are great. i think i was going so fast uphill that mnowicki got some dust in his eyes and couldn't keep up!!

More
10 years 6 months ago #14186 by Bill R
Bill R replied the topic: Re: Ellicottville Conditions
drying out nicely!

Long Live Long Rides

More
10 years 6 months ago #14183 by Andrew Brautigam
Andrew Brautigam replied the topic: it's good, but tons of blowdown
I got out for a ride on Thursday morning before work, and the trails are in top notch shape right now -- aside from the blowdown on the north/south pale ale trails and on the four rocks section of the flt, and billygoat. I moved as much as I could, but there are some serious trees down.

The trails are dry, though, and in good shape overall. I

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.302 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.