Ellicottville Conditions

More
9 years 10 months ago #15627 by The Todd-ler
The Todd-ler replied the topic: Re: Ellicottville Conditions

Lunk57 wrote: Like I was saying I was just trying to help, sorry to cause any trouble. It was a bigger tree than I am comfortable bunny hopping, about 18-24 inches is to big for me (I assume many others). My perception is that Dead Dog is not an "expert level" trail that would include this level of obstacle. It took me about 3 minutes to pile the logs up, so it should take less time than that to remove them. Also, moving dirt begins to have a larger enviornmental impact than I am comfortable making, so I was not going to do that. I personally enjoy riding over this sort of obstacle. I wasn't aware of any trail building protocol, I was following the model of other trees of this size on Sidewinder, Rain Trail, etc. Again, sorry to cause any trouble.

You are correct on all your assumptions. No need to apologize.

Man made obstacles like jumps, need to be built in my opinion, but built properly. You have helped the situation, thanks.

2008 Asheville MVP. J2DB. Ride Matador Fiore Ride! El Nino! ONE GEAR TO RULE THEM ALLâ„¢

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #15626 by Lunk57
Lunk57 replied the topic: Re: Ellicottville Conditions
Like I was saying I was just trying to help, sorry to cause any trouble. It was a bigger tree than I am comfortable bunny hopping, about 18-24 inches is to big for me (I assume many others). My perception is that Dead Dog is not an "expert level" trail that would include this level of obstacle. It took me about 3 minutes to pile the logs up, so it should take less time than that to remove them. Also, moving dirt begins to have a larger enviornmental impact than I am comfortable making, so I was not going to do that. I personally enjoy riding over this sort of obstacle. I wasn't aware of any trail building protocol, I was following the model of other trees of this size on Sidewinder, Rain Trail, etc. Again, sorry to cause any trouble.

More
9 years 10 months ago #15624 by boogenman
boogenman replied the topic: Re: Ellicottville Conditions
How come the downed trees can't be left alone or have dirt packed against them?
When logs are built up it makes things more difficult for clearing. Having to slow down is such a pain, I would rather bunny hop the tree but with smaller logs built in it makes the bunny hop impossible at times.
I would like dirt put in, then it would be a jump to flat but with some good speed on the approach the landing would be smooth.

More
9 years 10 months ago #15622 by Lunk57
Lunk57 replied the topic: Re: Ellicottville Conditions
I agree, good riding yesterday if a little wet. There is a new tree down on Dead Dog a little before Big Merlin. It is a pretty big tree about 18-24 inch diameter, so I built up some deadfall from the area to make it rideable (for the average rider). I won't be offended if someone cuts the tree though, I just wanted to help.

More
9 years 10 months ago #15620 by champ
champ replied the topic: Re: Ellicottville Conditions
beautiful weather for riding yesterday, cool and sunny. trails were okay, some wet and muddy spots, just gotta ride right through 'em.

More
10 years 3 days ago #15144 by O D B
O D B replied the topic: Re: Ellicottville Conditions
As of Thursday morning it has been raining cats and dogs!!

More
10 years 1 week ago #15078 by pro1286
pro1286 replied the topic: Re: Ellicottville Conditions
rode yesterday (friday) and it was great just alittle damp in some areas but altogether awesome

More
10 years 1 week ago #15074 by O D B
The trails are great. Had some rain Wed but not enough to not ride.

More
10 years 1 week ago #15069 by krag krasher
krag krasher replied the topic: Re: Ellicottville Conditions
How are the trails looking. Have they received a lot of rain lately?
John

Is that a flower caught in your pedal, or are you just happy to see me?

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #14865 by killacavs
killacavs replied the topic: Ellicottville Conditions
Rode the Mutton Hollow trail area yesterday. Was very dry and a good ride. Looking to get out Monday evening again

More
10 years 1 month ago #14769 by O D B
You can also park some place like Little Rock City if you want to ride the rocky stuff.

More
10 years 1 month ago #14757 by skidder
skidder replied the topic: Re: Ellicottville Conditions
If you get tired of the loop you have been riding just try going the opposite direction. It will seem like a totally different trail.

Also check out Golden Hill, that`s one of the best places around. There is usually a group there on Wed. nights.

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.348 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.