Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Latest Hunters Conditions

Re: Latest Hunters Conditions 10 years 9 months ago #6729

Rode late Friday afternoon (9/24) El Perfecto, it doesn't get any better than this! Rode the Upper FLT (9/26) Fantastic conditions. Did find a sink hole though which must be qiucksand. There is a downhill section heading back South before you turn due North West to cross the ravine that appears to go straight (even has an orange marker and lots of tires tracks in the sink hole so it made sense but I wasn't familiar with the turn) the whole bike dropped in right up past the hubs and stops like you threw out an anchor. I was laughing my a@# of. :D
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Went riding Saturday, Sept 18th... 10 years 9 months ago #6703

Great conditions if you like falling. Pretty wet and washed out here and there, but still assloads of fun. Took a rookie with me. He must have spilled 10 times, but came up laughing until the final few. Going again tomorrow and will report. It should be a lot better as it's been drier of late.

Kendog

Re: Latest Hunters Conditions 10 years 9 months ago #6577

Yup, things were great up to about now. Rode both Sunday and Monday and had a couple of the best rides of the year. Now they are forecasting 3-5 inches of rain through Thursday :evil: :evil:

Mirkwood needs a lot of work, but there is a lot of rock nearby to fix up the problem spots. The section north of the picnic table is one of the very original trails in the park and is part of the reason it is so wide. There are reroutes on this put in a few years back in two spots, but the folk(s) who did it did not reclaim the old trail (other than putting a few branches down) so it looks wide/braided there. The reroutes are actually holding up well, though. This is a route worth saving, though, only because of the lack of other north-south connectors as you mention.

The other part of the "F" loop is in fact one of the best trails in the park (if short, though). The entrance off the pipeline is pretty overgrown this year, but this is an exceptional year for such growth. That is where the old well was BTW (someone was asking about that). It is all filled in with stones, now.

Re: Latest Hunters Conditions 10 years 9 months ago #6571

Rode 9/2 and the trails were great, Jon I agree Mirkwood is beat up but for lack of a North/South connector it gets a lot of pressure.
I actually tried the "F" trail (speaking of a connector to the pipe line) starting at the picnic table and can't imagine why this trail isn't permittely closed! It's triple wide and getting worse. Rode the "F" loop and there wasn't a single tire track, this is a fun loop if it were maintained, (and a way to get there) but is badly overgrown in areas so I got pretty tore up in the pricker bushes and thorns.

Re: Latest Hunters Conditions 10 years 10 months ago #6503

Rode out there tonight. Bike came back cleaner than it went out. Trails in good shape that I rode (sticking to the well drying ones). Only Mirkwood seems to have been taking a beating since I last rode here in mid July (I'm sure some of the poor draining stuff looks ugly).

If is doesn't rain tonight or tomorrow, you'll be doing youself a disservice if you don't get out there tomorrow night!

Re: Latest Hunters Conditions 10 years 10 months ago #6415

-HC Trails were great on 8/19, murkwood was in its best shape all year. I did see a couple of amateurs flopping down devils backbone a couple times. I think they were going straight to thier chiropractor.

Re: Latest Hunters Conditions 10 years 10 months ago #6367

Rode Hunter's Sunday 8/15 and all the trails were in pretty good shape. Puddles here and there but not too much squishy stuff. The swamp was swampy but even Murkwood was in good shape. Watch out for the slimy creek bottom if you come off the goat trail and down to the creek. Crossing is dicey. There is a pretty good washout on the pink trail to the west of the service road. It sneaks up on you and will eat you and your bike if you don't see it.

Re: Latest Hunters Conditions 10 years 10 months ago #6327

Rode at HC Sunday 8/8 and is drying, (that's after 4 days of no rain) but still have to stick to the known dry trails. Mirkwood has taken a beating this year and is the only North bound trail that can be used other than the hardened road, but most riders seem to be riding down the center of trails so they aren't getting wider, just deeper.

I dug out a couple of rocks that were acting as a dam and dug a little channel to give the uphill flow of water a place to go downhill. The more I ride there the more I see how in effective and actually detrimental flat rocks are in low seeps or drainage area's. Of course thanks to IMBA's school, we all know that now.

A couple of people there asked me when the next trail work day is there.
Any plans yet John?

Re: Latest Hunters Conditions 10 years 11 months ago #6168

Rode HC Thurs night after work- dry trails dry- wet trails wet- some really wet-actually walked a ways on one as it was too wet to ride (near pipeline)
Don't ask me what one- we just wander aimlessly.

Penguin
Mommy- theres a root on the trail! Make it go away! I want my Binkie

Re: Latest Hunters Conditions 10 years 11 months ago #5989

Thanks for the update Kevin. I was at the movies Sunday evening during the storm, so didn't know how much rain came. I guess we got less around here than up in Buffalo. Things were pretty good tonight, although flat stuff still wet in many places. Pray for the T-storms to miss us tonight and tomorrow.
I don't think that the emergency access road will hurt any single track unless I'm misunderstanding and you might mean the dotted line you have above (J) which is an unmarked trail now. Because below that (intersection) to the parking lot is nothing but a wide road mess.

North of the intersection, the rescue "road" would switchback to the east of what you are describing. After that, it would follow the route of the FLT since that is the only route that doesn't follow boundaries.
No there isn't any signage for the Eagle Scout project trail "J" and IMHO isn't all that well marked on the South side of the loop

The Eagle scout trail is actually N, which is a self contained loop, although currently, there is a dowhill trail entering it from the muddy boundary trail shown as a gray dash.

Note, the map isn't quite correct in that J and N start out together, and then split. I'll have to fix that.

Re: Latest Hunters Conditions 10 years 11 months ago #5987

Boy was I bamboozled by the rain we received in the Northtowns on Sunday night (7/4), I was planning on riding HC Monday (7/5) but figured record rains would make it impossible. So I thought I would hike the lower / Eastern part instead and check in on the new Tranquility trail (N).

Boy was I wrong , and no bike in the bike rack :( . It was easily rideable conditions. To bad (N) is for Horses and Hikers only now (even though there are bike tracks there, but no signs so can't blame anyone for not noing) it's a nice lttle loop. The second stone crossing put in place during IMBA's visit heading up the trail on (J) is history and is now a 3 foot deep pile of washout material (limbs, stones, leaves etc.). I hiked the (N) loop and then (J) up to the pipeline and (M) back around to (J) and back down, and did a small section of Corduroy so not all was lost for not having the bike.

Jon, glad to hear your comments about (C) & (H) I tried to ride it last week including what you have as dashed lines and swore never to try it again, which is what I swore to do last year. It reminded me of your description of Golden Hill which you said had great "flow", there ain't no flow to (C) and a great part of (H) thats for sure.

I don't think that the emergency access road will hurt any single track unless I'm misunderstanding and you might mean the dotted line you have above (J) which is an unmarked trail now. Because below that (intersection) to the parking lot is nothing but a wide road mess. It appears that the the Wales Fire dept drove a vehicle up that road for the biker that was airlifted and they have every right todo so. It really shouldn't be used as a trail but I counted 50 bike tire tracks through some of the mud holes. Unfortunately when most come to the lower lot for the first time there is no signage and they all head up that road which is the first visible access they see instead of the North end of the lot for the (J) trail.

No there isn't any signage for the Eagle Scout project trail "J" and IMHO isn't all that well marked on the South side of the loop.

Boy it would be nice to have another FOHC meeting with the county and get back on track.

Re: Latest Hunters Conditions 11 years 1 day ago #5962

Thanks Jon. The map was helpful. Hunter's Creek was very dry today (driest I've seen it in the past year)...I recommend everyone who's thinking of going to go before it rains on Sunday evening! From the new parking lot to the access road, I tried the pink trail, upper and lower red trails, srgt marks, and yellow. All were in primo condition.

Also, a quick "Thank You" to Santa Cruz John who took me out on the lower red trail today. I had a blast --- and don't worry about my chin, I'll heal...it was only 10 stitches!!!! :-D D

Carpe Velo,
ted

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 1.164 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.