Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Latest Hunters Conditions

Re: Latest Hunters Conditions 10 years 3 weeks ago #8538

Was great earlier tonight, but now as the weather services says:

"AT 1052 PM EDT... NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED FLASH FLOODING FROM THUNDERSTORMS ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM ELMA CENTER TO 7 MILES SOUTH OF WALES CENTER... OR ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM EAST AURORA TO 9 MILES SOUTHEAST OF EAST AURORA... MOVING EAST AT 5 MPH. RADAR INDICATES RAINFALL RATES OF 1.5 TO 2 INCHES AN HOUR."

And they aren't kidding looking out my windows. 2 inches an hour sounds like a snow storm.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Latest Hunters Conditions 10 years 1 month ago #8347

They (the trails )are perfect right now, I rode there Friday afternoon and tried trails I hadn't ridden in a couple of years (mostly the East/West transitionals up by the pipeline) and they are still a mess even as dry as it is now. There really aren't any solutions for them either because of the seeps and large drainage areas that you just can't go around. Hunter's Creek really is much smaller once you actually subtract the occasional (during a drought) trails.

This is shaping up to be a great riding year.

Hunter's rocks! 10 years 1 month ago #8323

Hunters today was as delicious as one of them $20 steaks. What's even better is watching your buddy go swimming in the creek on his noodle. Trails are sweet, creek is slippery. Quit your crying and go ride you posers! :twisted:

Re: Latest Hunters Conditions 10 years 1 month ago #8267

You're right about the outslope :D

Re: Latest Hunters Conditions 10 years 1 month ago #8266

I rode it last week before the rain and it was dry. So it can happen. It is wet there because of seeps from further up the hill. This is due to the seasonal perched water table that is discussed in the soil mapping for this area. The perched water table usually dissapates by the end of May. But now, it is still there so when it rains hard like last Staruday, the water ends up in the seeps.

One thing we can do is to get the organic material off the trail and try to get down to the mineral soil (i.e. get the black stuff off and get down to the light brown stuff). Once the mineral soil dries up, water sheets over it and it is ridable sooner after rain. This of course also means that there is good run off on the downhill side. The good thing about this trail is that there almost always is a good outslope.

Re: Latest Hunters Conditions 10 years 1 month ago #8264

Jon, I'm not sure that trail ever dry's. There are some real bad spots through out that would need to be re routed or drained to make it a rideable trail. Fun to hike though.

Re: Latest Hunters Conditions 10 years 1 month ago #8262

Got out last night and for the most part trails were great. Started out on all the stuff I knew would be dry and it was bone dry, except for a couple of low spots. So then I decided to try the snaky up and down trail on the other side of the creek from Mirkwood, even though the end of this trail towards the pipeline gets a lot of seepage from up above. Sure enough, it was an ugly muddy mess the closer I got to the pipeline. So stick to the stuff you know is dry for the next couple of days until things dry out.

Re: Latest Hunters Conditions 10 years 1 month ago #8208

Trails are driest they've been in about three years. Even trails from the lower lot are dry. I guess they are talking rain this weekend, so try to get out Friday evening for as much riding as you can squeeze in.

Re: Latest Hunters Conditions 10 years 1 month ago #8169

Little tavern in Wales or else where?

Glad to see you've encountered the HC enigma, you can ride and ride on great trails (dry)and then hit a mud hole or two. Eventually we will get a bunch of re routes done there :)

Hunter's Creek condition...in a word MUD 10 years 1 month ago #8168

• alex
Rode Hunter's 'Mudfest' Creek on 5/4/05...many spills due to slippery deep mud...good practice for getting out of clips fast though, though I wasn't always fast enough ! ugh...overall there are some decent sections so I wouldn't totally avoid it, just get in a dirty frame of mind first :-) ) That little tavern nearby has some nice post-ride relaxation potential too ! excellent wings also...but I suspect everybody knows of this place already...

Happy Trails,
Alex L

new member from Youngstown

Re: Latest Hunters Conditions 10 years 2 months ago #7968

(sorry for the cross post...)

A little background on Spring Hunters Creek Conditions. As posted elsewhere, Conditions are great in E-ville. Get out and ride for some of the best April riding for a long time!

Hunters is a completely different story. While some trails may be drying out, like the pink trail I would suspect, the geology isn't in our favor in April.

The Ellicottville area is the northern fringe of the only zone of New York State that escaped the last glacial period (technically, this region only reaches up to about Mutton Hollow road). This means that that area (even Big Merlin, which is north of Mutton Hollow road) didn't get covered by glacial till. Glacial till is densely compacted soil that doesn't drain well. The lack of till combined with lots of good slopes means drainage is great in E-ville and the riding is good.

Hunters got it's share of glacial till, however. The soils at Hunters are actually quite good for trails in many areas of the park. The clay in the till is very cohesive and sets up well into a good durable surface once it dries. The key is "once it dries". The USDA soil survey describes soils at Hunters that have a very high seasonal water table, meaning that until May, water just won't drain through the soils at Hunters, and the trails will remain soaked. Just let them dry come May, and they will set up solid. Even hiking on them is bad this time of year, as it disrupts the soil structure as it is drying.

As soon as it is dried out, all the trails that have some good slope to them shed water like a teflon pan which is why the riding at Hunters is so good in June through Sept. I can't wait until then.

Except I will, and meantime I'll be riding in E-ville!

Re: Latest Hunters Conditions 10 years 2 months ago #7918

Does any body know the latest conditions of Hunter's Creek? Are the upper trails dry? Will there be issues with organizing rides on the WNYMBA web site? Has anybody had any problems with the parking lot?

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 1.349 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.