Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Latest Hunters Conditions

Latest Hunters Conditions 10 years 10 months ago #5499

With lots of rain on Saturday, things are probably pretty wet out there now.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Latest Hunters Conditions 10 years 9 months ago #5624

Rode at Hunters today (5/30) in the afternoon. I worked a trail out I thought would be rideable. Carried the bike from the parking lot for the first 100 yards (a real mess these feeder trails of the parking lot) to the left to the pink trail and once you get by the switchback which looks like it is marked out for a re route it was dry sailing all the way to the hardned road. Rode that down to Mirkwood then up the pipe line and then the hard road back to the fireplace and up the hard road all the way back to Centerline. It's not a long ride but a dry one that won't cause any damage. Anything else at this point should be off limits. With the new lot this park is getting allot of pressure. saw maybe twnty riders in ths lot. I'm not sure what they rode.

Re: Latest Hunters Conditions 10 years 9 months ago #5626

That sounds like a decent route to take when it is so swampy out there... but I'm sure the "others" weren't sticking to the dry stuff as much as you outline.

Myself, and two freinds, rode Allegany yesterday and except for a few small muddy spots, the trails were in excellent shape (for wide double track that is!)

Re: Latest Hunters Conditions 10 years 9 months ago #5694

H.C is still the same as it was a week earlier as of 6/6. I did a section of corduroy on the pink trail that was the re route from last fall that some have complained about, hope that was okay with everyone. I had about 5 riders thank me, we'll see if they stick to the trail now, because there was already two go arounds created.

I'm starting to see that the IMBA recommendation of not using flat stone to fill seeps or mud holes makes sense after seeing the ones that were put in Mirkwood in the Spring and now that the soil underneath the stones has dried the stones are being dislodged from the holes by bikes on a pretty reguler basis. The corduroy seems to stay put (albeit wood is not for ever).

I would think with the weather we are seeing this week that H.C. should finally be pretty rideable by this weekend.

Re: Latest Hunters Conditions 10 years 9 months ago #5708

The corduroy worked well, although thicker sticks would be even better. One hour of riding and I ended up with a clean bike, and not be cause I rode around any mud puddles. But I stuck to the trails I know dry well. We missed the thunderstorms. I hope what they say about Thursday Morning showers also doesn't come to pass.

Looking at the weather radar before deciding to leave work right at 5 to hit the trails, I see E-ville got socked today with the redish-orange type of rain shower as it shows on the weather map (i.e. lots of rain). I guess that is what Litespeed saw.

Re: Latest Hunters Conditions 10 years 9 months ago #5713

I really didn't plan on doing any trail work but you know how that goes, so what I did (Corduroy) was meant as a temporary fix knowing that we had a trail day at H.C. coming up this week. I didn't really want to use the larger stuff that was there which was meant to disquise the old trail.

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.434 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.