• YouTube: wnymbavideo
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

WNY Mountain Bike Meetup
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: WNY Mountain Bike Meetup

WNY Mountain Bike Meetup 1 year, 6 months ago #43748

We have created a new WNY Mountain Bike Meetup site.

In the past few weeks we have signed up 60 people - vast majority are not members of WNYMBA.

This site allows members to create their own events, or attend someone else's event. We are also placing the WNYMBA events as "Featured" events on the site. We are hopeful that this new site will bring together many more mountain bike riders throughout WNY.

We need more WNYMBA members to register for the site.

Its a learning experience, and only a few weeks old. The Rochester bike club's meetup site has almost 300 people, and many rides per year (since 2010). We expect our membership to slowly ramp up - once the season starts & the riding events start.

If you haven't registered, please consider doing so. Try it out.

WHY NOT IN BUFFALO???
Last Edit: 1 year, 6 months ago by LeapingDog.

Re: WNY Mountain Bike Meetup 1 year, 6 months ago #43753

I've looked at the Meetup site and I've looked at the Rochester sites and they seem very user friendly. I'm not being negative about the Meetup and this is only MY opinion but I feel like I'm maxed out on social networking sites. Between this forum, Facebook, the Meetup, it's gotten to the point where there's just too much to keep up with.

Yes, I am a technology simpleton. Maybe acquiring a smart phone would make me smarter and assist me with staying on top of it all. Or maybe it's just easier(and more enjoyable) for me to NOT keep track of it all?

Am I the only one that feels this way?
Not very fast but havin' fun!
www.bluelinebicyclerepair.com

Re: WNY Mountain Bike Meetup 1 year, 6 months ago #43755

I have a dumb phone too and can barely answer calls at times. It does take a while a night to view all the social media sites. It was easier when I could do it a work, of course then I didnt get any work done. Thats the problem- too much work!

Penguin
Mommy- theres a root on the trail! Make it go away! I want my Binkie

Re: WNY Mountain Bike Meetup 1 year, 6 months ago #43757

I think each person has to do what they feel is right for themselves. Truth is that we need to attract new people to the sport in WNY, and the younger generation is keyed into the social networks. Their brains are wired differently I guess. I assume many of the old school will not register, or will do so after a year or so. There is no pressure, the train is not leaving without them. Everything is still OK. We just want to get some new blood into the sport. Maybe make WNY a little bit better place to live by letting a few more people in the community know that they can mountain bike near Buffalo. By the way, I set it up - and I have a dumb phone. Also hate to post on phasebook and forums - but that's just me.
Last Edit: 1 year, 6 months ago by LeapingDog.

Re: WNY Mountain Bike Meetup 1 year, 6 months ago #43762

I signed up and so far it's been a pretty passive thing. I don't do much. What is cool about it is that it will automatically email you (yes, you can change it) when there is an upcoming event. Then you can confirm your attendance, or just use the email as a reminder of any upcoming meetings or trail days.

Guess what I'm trying to say is, there is benefit from it with minimal to zero effort.
  • drabb

Re: WNY Mountain Bike Meetup 1 year, 6 months ago #43766

I am hopeful that the membership within the meetup will grow quite a bit in the next year (its only been a few weeks & we have good amount of people). Once we have a critical mass, I can imagine members creating their own rides all the time, at various parks. Maybe even camping trips & what not.

The site is specifically designed to be run by the members. To get things started, I included the official WNYMBA events & plan to continue doing so - designating them as "FEATURED EVENTS", in order to differentiate them from member created events.

There are a lot of beginner level meetup members, and I am hopeful that someone will eventually step up and organize some beginner level ride events on the site. It takes like 1 minute to create an event.

Re: WNY Mountain Bike Meetup 1 year, 6 months ago #43771

The idea of a "beginner" ride sounds appealing, however last year or year before (I'm old I forget a lot) there was a beginner ride led by a women (forgot name-see old part) I happened to be at SB that day and went to parking area to see if I couuld help out- no newbie riders showed up. I belive it was posted on WNYMBA site, but I dont think a lot of new riders are on it. Hopefully the Meetup site will work better.
If someone new is interested in riding they can always PM me - I have shown SB a few times to new people.

Penguin
Mommy- theres a root on the trail! Make it go away! I want my Binkie

Re: WNY Mountain Bike Meetup 1 year, 5 months ago #43795

Our first event (the March WNYMBA meeting) attracted 35 people, (Check out the photographs on the meetup site.) That is probably twice the usual attendance.

There were quite a few people who attended the event who are not members of WNYMBA, but joined our new meetup group. Also, it seems that quite a few WNYMBA members attended the event only after registering for it on the meetup site.

We now have 67 people registered on our meetup site.

I hope the momentum keeps up. Should be interesting to see.

If you haven't already registered, the address is listed below.

www.meetup.com/WNY-Mountain-Bike-Meetup/
Last Edit: 1 year, 5 months ago by LeapingDog.

WNY Mountain Bike Meetup 1 year, 5 months ago #43819

meetup is def great for attracting new blood. website is website, we are all punks in the forum and FB is overwhelmed with soft core...and ads. please use the meetup. and or subscribe to our calendar. super awesome with all my apple product. boom I instantly have events in my calendars! lts meet some new people, drink some beer, eat some chili and have fun in 2013!
  • TJ_Zydel
  • Director of Marketing and Promotions
ahhhhh dude...

facebook.com/wnymba

twitter.com/wnymba

Director of Marketing and Promotions

Re: WNY Mountain Bike Meetup 1 year, 5 months ago #43847

We have given the WNY Mountain Bike Meetup a fresh new look. Check it out and share your thoughts...

www.meetup.com/WNY-Mountain-Bike-Meetup/

We now have 74 riders, and 15 up coming events...
Last Edit: 1 year, 5 months ago by LeapingDog.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.21 seconds

Loading feeds...

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.