• YouTube: wnymbavideo
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Scandia Ride, Sunday Oct. 16th.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Scandia Ride, Sunday Oct. 16th.

Scandia Ride, Sunday Oct. 16th. 3 years ago #39683

Last Sunday wasn't the greatest in ride weather, but we did get a bit of a riding window.. for those who haven't been down, Scandia is about 25 min. south of Jamestown,NY... most sections of the trail are rather impervious to wet weather. a lot of rocks, very gravely and sandy soils. anyway had a great ride, a few took some falls, but good time had by all. This place is in the backyard of NAMBA. so if anyone ever wants to head down.. let me or Fatguy know.

here is the route over in map your ride
www.wnymba.org/index.php?option=com_joomgpstracks&view=tracks&layout=track&id=47&Itemid=47

the top loop is just shy of a 10 mile loop... we elected to drop down what Mike calls "an old jeep trail" down to the dam. I call it a hellish descent that made me eat rock and mud. the climb out was offset by some great riding along a stream, hope the image works.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 3 years ago by twright.

Re: Scandia Ride, Sunday Oct. 16th. 3 years ago #39688

That looks like an awesome route! Is that singletrack?

Re: Scandia Ride, Sunday Oct. 16th. 3 years ago #39689

fatguy will chime in, he knows it blindfolded,, but the first .3 miles, is dirt road, then it's single track though and over rocks following an old utility line right of way... then, it's onto a nice twisty, single track, that some atv's have widened, but it's so rocky there is really only one line. you come out to a nice overlook of the kinzua dam and reservoir. about 5 miles in. from there it's again, single track but some atv'd track. and you can ride back out to the utility line (total almost 1 0mile loop)and take your chance on girl scout rock...

or descend the hellish "jeep" trail.... if you do that I would say have Fatguy showing you around.. last year, we actually climbed, more like crawled up the side of the cliff by the dam with our bikes on our backs.. a bit less than fun....

again,, the new way out is a long steady climb back out,, but certainly doable even for a crybaby like me.all told 14.8 miles or something like that....
0320011527a_2011-10-19.jpg

Re: Scandia Ride, Sunday Oct. 16th. 3 years ago #39691

That all sounds pretty accurate except for the 'hellish' thing! its a sweet steep old jeep trail that has been reduced to a ribbon-ish of singletrack along its outside edge, but if you loose your mojo close to the edge the next dab can be a lulu, I won't ride it solo. Anybody that took a jeep up or down it way back then must have been pretty confident of their skills, its a long tumble to the river. If I remember right, the first time we discovered it three guys voted on whether we should descend something with no known rideable way back up (and possibly a dead end) and twright voted to descend, so maybe the descent should be renamed Wright Way Down?
This post is not approved by the WNYMBA forum posting approval signoff committee. My WNYMBA socks are in the warsh.

Re: Scandia Ride, Sunday Oct. 16th. 2 years, 10 months ago #39897

sunday, Dec. 11th ride in scandia 10:30... will be a bit cold, but no real snow to worry about. trail head is at the end of coal bed road. see link at beginning of this thread.

Re: Scandia Ride, Sunday Oct. 16th. 2 years, 8 months ago #40164

Possible Scandia ride this coming Sunday, Feb. 5th, our caffeine addicted scout team will be doing a driveby to report back.... stay tuned to this forum if u are considering... will update here friday night

Re: Scandia Ride, Sunday Oct. 16th. 2 years, 8 months ago #40198

looking good for a scandia ride, 930am sunday feb 5th , end of coal bed road.

Re: Scandia Ride, Sunday Oct. 16th. 2 years, 7 months ago #40615

Hi there,

We're a group of 5 guys from Canada with a free place to crash in Ellicottville over our March Break (March 19-23), and have been advised in another forum thread to stay away from E-ville as it'll be a mudfest and wreck the trails. We've been pointed in the direction of Scandia, and were wondering if there'd be someone local who knows the trails interested in joining us for an epic ride sometime that week -- most likely the Wed, Thu or Fri. Maybe our local tour-guide can join us for beers & burgers back in Ellicottville afterwards, too!

Hope to hear from someone...

Cheers,
Adam

Re: Scandia Ride, Sunday Oct. 16th. 2 years, 7 months ago #40629

Scandia is pretty much all weather, all year,,, there is a 10 mile loop.. and it can be extended a bit but for that it is recommended you have someone familiar... I sent fatguy an email so he may be chiming in soon.

rocky gap atv trails about 10 min. south of warren is an option.. some of us are riding it tomorrow morning so will report back, if you tackle both sides of the trail it should be enough for a day of riding... will let you know what we find.

I am told morrison run,, a bit south west of bradford, and probably the closest trail to eville. unsure of... part of it follows and crosses a stream quite a bit, and the un-trimmed mountain laurel loves to snag derailer. will try to do some scouting and get back to you all.

I know this just shows the slopes, and the golf course,, but my guess if there is still snow on the golf course there is likely snow up on the trails...

www.holidayvalley.com/HolidayValley/mtn-cams.aspx

Re: Scandia Ride, Sunday Oct. 16th. 2 years, 7 months ago #40630

ascarswell wrote:
Hi there,

We're a group of 5 guys from Canada with a free place to crash in Ellicottville over our March Break (March 19-23), and have been advised in another forum thread to stay away from E-ville as it'll be a mudfest and wreck the trails. We've been pointed in the direction of Scandia, and were wondering if there'd be someone local who knows the trails interested in joining us for an epic ride sometime that week -- most likely the Wed, Thu or Fri. Maybe our local tour-guide can join us for beers & burgers back in Ellicottville afterwards, too!

Hope to hear from someone...

Cheers,
Adam

Why don't you guys just enjoy some spring skiing at Holiday Valley instead of scraping together a mediocre ride that involves a ton of driving? You'd never even have to leave town.

You could even ride the Mountain Coaster: www.holidayvalley.com/HolidayValley/info/mountain-coaster.aspx
The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...

Re: Scandia Ride, Sunday Oct. 16th. 2 years, 7 months ago #40666

Rode Coal Bed tonight and the geology there is absolutely amazing, it just stopping raining at 6 am this morning and the trails were bone dry. The ground is so much exposed stone that horses don't even impact it. Then we find out from the horse lady all the posted land we have been avoiding is open to horses and bikes! What a great day. The map is going to need rescaled.
This post is not approved by the WNYMBA forum posting approval signoff committee. My WNYMBA socks are in the warsh.

Re: Scandia Ride, Sunday Oct. 16th. 2 years, 7 months ago #40667

yes, it was a great ride tonight. made it back to the trucks without the need for lights..
scandia31312.jpg
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds

Loading feeds...

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.