Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Overland Ride - Saturday, September 10th
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Overland Ride - Saturday, September 10th

Overland Ride - Saturday, September 10th 3 years, 3 months ago #39096

Hi All,

I'm putting together a 45-50 mile ride on the Westside Overland trail in Chautauqua County. It would begin and end at the Chautauqua Gorge State Forest, which is an excellent place to have a cookout once we return. There are plenty of fire pits, and there's a sweet hiking trail that leads down to the gorge itself.

We'll meet at the Chautauqua Gorge parking area at 9:00am, Saturday, September 10th, and I would imagine that we'd be back sometime between 3:00 and 4:00 (give or take). Here's a link to the Chautauqua Gorge parking area: maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=201826048252375594035.000492be4a6c92bd2e1c3&msa=0&ll=42.239956,-79.586763&spn=0.003987,0.009645

The ride itself covers the best sections of both the Chautauqua Rails to Trails and the Westside Overland Trail. If you've never ridden the Overland Trail, it is an out-and-back trail that can best be described as doubletrack that winds its way through some beautiful woods complete with stream crossings, roots, and plenty of short and steep climbs with some really fun and flowy downhill sections. The trail is super fun, and it can be ridden on a hardtail or a full suspension, but anything over four or five inches of travel would be serious overkill. There is a lean-to/camping area just past the mid-point of the ride; it has a outhouse and a sweet hand-pump that provides some cold and refreshing water to refill bottles or hydration packs. Depending on how everyone feels, we can ride all the way to the end of the Overland (Point S), or we could turn back at the parking lot (Point Q). I feel that the best section of the ride is from point R to point S, so I'm all for riding the whole thing.

Here's a link to the map of the Overland Trail: www.classicbuffalo.com/images/outdoors/Panama1a.jpg

As for the route itself: we'd begin at Point A and ride to Point B. From there, we'd get on the Rails to Trails on Summerdale Road and ride it for a good four miles until we reached Titus Road. The Chautauqua Rails to Trails is actually a really scenic trail - certain sections put you up on a ridge-line with a steep ravine on each side. We'd then ride the road for about 3.5 miles to Bates Road and get on the Overland there. The rest of the ride would be on the Overland to Point S and then back the way we came. We'll ride at a moderate pace.

Here's the beginning of the route up to Bates Road (Point J): www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4688946

There are a few folks from NAMBA who've already signed on, and it would be great if some WNYMBA'ers joined in on the fun. Since the ride is quite long, you'll want to bring some food (a couple energy bars or a sandwich would probably work), water (duh), and some GUs or Shot Bloks. Although the ride isn't super demanding, it is important that you have enough gas in your tank to ride 45-50 miles (with 8 miles of tarmac); the longest climbs are, surprisingly, on the road (between Titus Road and Bates Road), with the steepest climbs occurring on the Overland (Points L and N). If the weather craps out on us, then the ride will be canceled and maybe rescheduled for sometime in early October.

If you'd like to bring something for the post-ride cookout, then please do so. I'll supply some hot-dogs and buns.

To get a sense of numbers, please RSVP here or shoot me a PM. Weather permitting, the ride will be a really good time with some really nice people.

I hope to hear from some of you

Cheers,

Jake

Last Fall

059.JPG

062.JPG

070.JPG

Last Week

Horses.jpg
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by bodie6.

Re: Overland Ride - Saturday, September 10th 3 years, 3 months ago #39099

Jake, Count me in as a definite maybe

Re: Overland Ride - Saturday, September 10th 3 years, 3 months ago #39101

I will be there with some Miller Lite's to share.
This post is not approved by the WNYMBA forum posting approval signoff committee. My WNYMBA socks are in the warsh.

Re: Overland Ride - Saturday, September 10th 3 years, 3 months ago #39109

looks like it is a go for me.

Re: Overland Ride - Saturday, September 10th 3 years, 3 months ago #39162

I've been itching to check out these trails. What better time than a group ride. Count me in, it's closer to home for me than E-ville.
Long Live the Fest!!

Re: Overland Ride - Saturday, September 10th 3 years, 3 months ago #39172

Welcome abroad, Bradley

I'm gonna ride most of the route tomorrow morning to check it out for blowdowns and for any other issues. Unfortunately, there is a rather large blowdown past point R that took out one of the bridges. I notified the DEC, so hopefully it'll be cleared up soon.

Should be a good ride!

Re: Overland Ride - Saturday, September 10th 3 years, 3 months ago #39175

Blowdown, schmoedown, walk aroud/climb over. PA riders have no problem with this.
This post is not approved by the WNYMBA forum posting approval signoff committee. My WNYMBA socks are in the warsh.

Re: Overland Ride - Saturday, September 10th 3 years, 3 months ago #39187

I'll be there for this ride - looking forward to it.

Re: Overland Ride - Saturday, September 10th 3 years, 3 months ago #39189

Everyone is finally checking out the Overland trail! I used to ride that when I first started MTB, havn't been there for years though. My brother-in-law had a cabin on Bailey hill road and I used to ride mostly K -Q I think I did C-G once and ventured across 430 to do C-A. I remember the A-C section having some big hills- Maybe I'm just hallucinating about that.
The trail was always fun and the DEC usually kept it up pretty good back then.
There was a dog that would always chase me on Eggleston Hill rd between L-M every time I rode there. That dog was fast!

Penguin
Mommy- theres a root on the trail! Make it go away! I want my Binkie

Re: Overland Ride - Saturday, September 10th 3 years, 3 months ago #39200

I rode most of the route today, and the conditions were ideal. Of course, it helps that the temps were in the mid 70s with a nice breeze and zero humidity. Hopefully the weather will cooperate on Sept. 10th.

Here's some pictures from today's ride - It might not be singletrack, but boy is it ever fun!

Lean-To

LeanTo.jpg

Water Pump at Lean-To

WaterPump.jpg

Overland Trail

Overland1.jpg

Overland Trail

Overland2.jpg

Rails to Trails

RailstoTrails.jpg

Rails to Trails

RailstoTrails2.jpg
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by bodie6.

Re: Overland Ride - Saturday, September 10th 3 years, 3 months ago #39213

I'm thinking about coming- still trying to figure out if I can make it the whole way? If not I may have to bail out early. Trying to decide between the Kona Hei-Hei 2-9 with the loud brakes or my 26" Truth that I havn't ridden much this year

Penguin
Mommy- theres a root on the trail! Make it go away! I want my Binkie

Re: Overland Ride - Saturday, September 10th 3 years, 3 months ago #39214

Penguin,

You should join us; it's gonna be a great ride.

I would bring the better climbing bike, which I would guess to be the Kona, and I would put some low rolling resistance tires on it. Most of the really tough uphills are short enough where you can easily get away with a hike-a-bike.

I can see someone bringing a cross bike and having a blast on this ride. Although the ride is quite long, as long as you stock some food with you (perhaps 1,000 calories worth?), and bring a few GU packets or Shot Bloks, you should be able to hammer out most, if not all, of the ride. I'm gonna try to stash a bag of homemade cookies, some beers, and some gatorade at the lean-to, so there will be a nice pit-stop at the half-way point and right after a serious grin-inducing downhill section.

I can't speak for everyone, but whenever I ride the Westside Overland trail, I always feel as though I'm on a back-country adventure.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds

Loading feeds...

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.