• Twitter: wnymba
  • YouTube: wnymbavideo
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Southern Tier to Raystown Lake Sunday
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Southern Tier to Raystown Lake Sunday

Re: Southern Tier to Raystown Lake Sunday 3 years, 7 months ago #37826

The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...

Re: Southern Tier to Raystown Lake Sunday 3 years, 7 months ago #37829

Couldn't watch it; my ears are bleeding...the music is awful.
2008 Asheville MVP. J2DB. Ride Matador Fiore Ride! El Nino! Chunky Monkey!

Re: Southern Tier to Raystown Lake Sunday 3 years, 7 months ago #37830

I used a handy little thing called "mute".
The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...

Re: Southern Tier to Raystown Lake Sunday 3 years, 6 months ago #38218

We rode the east half of the system last time, today we rode the west half.

It's even better!!

These trails are ray-diculously fun.

Kick-azz dinner at Boxer's Cafe in Huntingdon. Try the bacon wrapped shrimp with horseradish sauce.

Totally worth the drive.

Re: Southern Tier to Raystown Lake Sunday 2 years, 7 months ago #40909

A little Raystown red clay on the bike.

Re: Southern Tier to Raystown Lake Sunday 1 year, 11 months ago #43385

I'd really like to get a ride in at Raystown in 2012. The forecast for southwest PA next week has Thursday(12/13) looking fairly decent. Anybody interested in a road trip? I've got room for three bikes on my rack and obviously, the trip becomes much more affordable when the costs get split two or three ways. It would be a whirlwind trip, departing around 5am with a goal of being back in wny by 7pm or so.
Not very fast but havin' fun!
www.bluelinebicyclerepair.com

Re: Southern Tier to Raystown Lake Sunday 1 year, 11 months ago #43388

If you want to spare yourself the pain of a same day down and back. There are some cheap ($40), clean motels in Huntingdon, PA only minutes from the 7 points trailhead. check www.themillstonemanor.com/ They also have the national chains, which are pretty cheap. The other plus is you can get your drink on at Boxer's.

Be aware - there were shitloads of leaves down when I was there in early Nov, which is kind of bummer because it keeps you at only dangerously fast speed rather than ludicrously dangerous speed. I was kind of surprised that even with all the traffic on the trails, the leaves were hanging in there. Might be a little better now.
Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

Re: Southern Tier to Raystown Lake Sunday 1 year, 11 months ago #43391

slower_than_u wrote:
I'd really like to get a ride in at Raystown in 2012. The forecast for southwest PA next week has Thursday(12/13) looking fairly decent. Anybody interested in a road trip? I've got room for three bikes on my rack and obviously, the trip becomes much more affordable when the costs get split two or three ways. It would be a whirlwind trip, departing around 5am with a goal of being back in wny by 7pm or so.

This trip has moved to Friday(12/14). Room for one more....

Re: Southern Tier to Raystown Lake Sunday 1 year, 11 months ago #43398

IM IN!
Singletrack Solitude

Re: Southern Tier to Raystown Lake Sunday 1 year, 11 months ago #43417

Fun place to ride but the advice given a few posts back about the "pain of a same day down and back" is certainly valid. Especially when you are out of shape and your legs cramp up so bad that your total riding time is less than the time spent driving one way

I'd go back again but I'd stay overnight and do Rothrock as well.

Some local guys gave us some trail advice in the lot before we rode the east side that turned out to be very good. Hydro Loop ridden CCW from Osprey was a blast and if not for their advice we probably would have gone CW. Leaves on top of frozen ground was very tricky in places but I never hit the ground. Well, if you don't count laying on the ground in the middle of the woods with tears in your eyes waiting for your quads to unlock.....

Re: Southern Tier to Raystown Lake Sunday 1 year, 11 months ago #43418

slower_than_u wrote:
I'd go back again but I'd stay overnight and do Rothrock as well.

Highly recommended. If you hit Rothrock on day 2 you're kinda-sorta an hour in the right direction for the drive home.

The guys at Freeze Thaw in State College helped with maps and trail advice when I was there this summer.
  • drabb

Re: Southern Tier to Raystown Lake Sunday 1 year, 11 months ago #43419

drabb wrote:
If you hit Rothrock on day 2 you're kinda-sorta an hour in the right direction for the drive home.

So this map is not correct? It shows Rothrock to the south, on the other side of the lake. Google maps calls that area Trough Creek.
Last Edit: 1 year, 11 months ago by slower_than_u.
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds

Loading feeds...

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.