• YouTube: wnymbavideo
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Tire Recommendations?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tire Recommendations?

Tire Recommendations? 1 year, 7 months ago #43935

Hello. I am looking to upgrade the tires on my Trek Mamba which are the stock tires that came on the bike. Doing some research on the internet, a lot of people are saying it all depends on where you ride and how you ride. So I thought it might be a good question to pose to you guys. What tires do you recommend for xcountry mtbing around here? This is for a 29er tube setup. Don't really want to spend more than $50 a tire unless you can convince me otherwise, thanks!

Re: Tire Recommendations? 1 year, 7 months ago #43937

Long Live the Fest!!

Re: Tire Recommendations? 1 year, 7 months ago #43938

I haven't had the opportunity to try a wide variety, but tried and true have been WTB velociraptors especially in wet conditions. They do have a higher rolling resistance than some but yu can get them for $20-25 each. In dry conditions, I have found the continental verticles to be quite effective. They are light and roll easy, but have a good grip, however, they suck on wet roots.

Re: Tire Recommendations? 1 year, 7 months ago #43940

Hey great, thanks guys!

Re: Tire Recommendations? 1 year, 7 months ago #43946

I have Maxxis Ignitors on my Kona Hei-hei 2-9er. Been thinking about the kenda Slant Sixes

Penguin
Mommy- theres a root on the trail! Make it go away! I want my Binkie

Re: Tire Recommendations? 1 year, 7 months ago #43952

penguin wrote:
I have Maxxis Ignitors on my Kona Hei-hei 2-9er. Been thinking about the kenda Slant Sixes

Penguin

Thanks Paul. I have been looking into the ignitors after reading the other thread. Can you recommend a size? No luck at local bike shops so far stocking any, and online it seems the most abundant size for 29ers is 2.1

Re: Tire Recommendations? 1 year, 7 months ago #43953

$50 per tire is tough, but then again i run tubeless and am looking for solid rim connection. no one really runs ust bead tires as it is over kill and hard to work with. Maxxis does make really great tires. many of us really prefer the Ardent. the 2.4 EXO model is great as it has added sidewall protection, seats tubeless better and works well in our climate. only drawback, weight, they are 800g pigs. i am personally looking into new rubber, i dabble in 2.2 EXO Ikon's but only in the driest parts of the year. if $ was no object i would try some of the higher end Schwalbe tires.
  • TJ_Zydel
  • Director of Marketing and Promotions
ahhhhh dude...

facebook.com/wnymba

twitter.com/wnymba

Director of Marketing and Promotions

Re: Tire Recommendations? 1 year, 7 months ago #43955

Just want to point out that thread is almost 2 yrs old and tired tech has advanced since then. If i can find the link somewhere it has up to date info with all tires, specs, conditions, cost, and sizes

Re: Tire Recommendations? 1 year, 7 months ago #43957

That is what I have 2.1's

Penguin
Mommy- theres a root on the trail! Make it go away! I want my Binkie

Re: Tire Recommendations? 1 year, 3 months ago #44370

wtb bronsons, best all rounder IMO. ive tried schwable hans dampf, but at half the price id still go with the WTBs

Re: Tire Recommendations? 1 year, 3 months ago #44377

I am giving Ardents a whirl for fall/winter night, leaves and mud and 'who cares how slow I am' season.

www.bikemag.com/gear/tested-maxxis-ardent-2-4-x-29/
This post is not approved by the WNYMBA forum posting approval signoff committee. My WNYMBA socks are in the warsh.
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by fat guy.

Re: Tire Recommendations? 1 year, 3 months ago #44378

I road a new bike a Trek demo at Shindagin a few weeks ago. Not in the market for a new bike, but I loved the tires. They were marked Bontrager 29-3 team issue. If you go to the Bontrager site you can't find them. But there are XR3 ones there. I asked Pete at JRA if he had these in stock because he is a Trek dealer. He said he did and I got the XR3 expert (not team issue) ones. I thought that was a mistake, but actually, these weren't on thier web site, but are actually lighter (675 g) than the team issue ones (705 g according to the website).

OK I digress, the Bontrager website and model numbers seemed to be f'd up, but I loved the tires on the demo bike, and the ones I got from Pete look the same. Am going to try them for the first time tonight. I really liked them on the demo bike. Light (675 gm for a 29 x 2.3) and really hooked up on the turns, way better then the ignitors.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds

Loading feeds...

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.