• YouTube: wnymbavideo
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Axle standards
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Axle standards

Axle standards 1 year, 8 months ago #43616

I went from a 9mm qr to 20mm front due to wheels/hubs I already had from DH bikes, huge difference in performance. I assume a15mm is close if not the same as the 20mm.

I have no ass time with a 12X142 but I love the concept and my next bike will probably have it. It is one more way to stiffen up flexy rear ends on full suspension bikes. Obviously the chainline stuff is huge too.

Discuss.

www.pinkbike.com/news/Axle-Standards-Pinkbike-Poll-2013.html

Re: Axle standards 1 year, 8 months ago #43637

I had 12x142 kit on a niner rip9. It was sic! After I got rid of that bike and stayed hard tail I wanted a stiff rear as well. Many don't know about this but there is a 10x135 kit that works on all standard 9mm rear axles. Aka 85% of all MTB. The axle is huge, solid 10mm wide and is compatible as long as you have a compatible wheel. DT Swiss, Hope and many other hubs have end cap kits. So far only DT Swiss and Hadley (sp?!) make them. I personally have the DT Swiss and love it! Many XC guys around here have been buying the, as well.
  • TJ_Zydel
  • Director of Marketing and Promotions
ahhhhh dude...

facebook.com/wnymba

twitter.com/wnymba

Director of Marketing and Promotions

Re: Axle standards 1 year, 8 months ago #43640

TJ_Zydel wrote:
I had 12x142 kit on a niner rip9. It was sic! After I got rid of that bike and stayed hard tail I wanted a stiff rear as well. Many don't know about this but there is a 10x135 kit that works on all standard 9mm rear axles. Aka 85% of all MTB. The axle is huge, solid 10mm wide and is compatible as long as you have a compatible wheel. DT Swiss, Hope and many other hubs have end cap kits. So far only DT Swiss and Hadley (sp?!) make them. I personally have the DT Swiss and love it! Many XC guys around here have been buying the, as well.

...and that's plenty stiff IMO, 12mm axil? I guess if you are a Clydesdale, but hell, I don't even notice any difference going from a 9mm quick change in front to the 15mm. I guess it's because my I-9 29'r XC hoops probably flex more than the 9mm axel does, or I'm just a lousy rider, or maybe my entire bike flexes so much I really can’t tell the axel is flexing. I don't know, but what I do know is I still love my ride, and the way I've got it set up. So I guess I'll keep it another season

Just my $.02

Mojo
What are the advantages of riding a mountain bike anyway?
Staying at home, lying on the couch is much more comfortable

Axle standards 1 year, 8 months ago #43641

Mojo man needs a new nickname...hehe
  • TJ_Zydel
  • Director of Marketing and Promotions
ahhhhh dude...

facebook.com/wnymba

twitter.com/wnymba

Director of Marketing and Promotions

Re: Axle standards 1 year, 8 months ago #43643

TJ_Zydel wrote:
Mojo man needs a new nickname...hehe

Yes, if anyone wants to buy an Ibis (without a scratch) I'll throw in the nick name for free.

Mojo

Re: Axle standards 1 year, 8 months ago #43644

If it is a meduim I will throw you $700 for the frame

Did you add a lopes link?
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by boogenman.

Re: Axle standards 1 year, 8 months ago #43645

boogenman wrote:
If it is a meduim I will throw you $700 for the frame

Did you add a lopes link?

Its a medium, with Lopes link, black. Looking to get more out of it. If it had wear on it I'd condsider your offer. But the frame has 2-4ml of protective tape everywhere meaning there is not a scratch, cable rub etc anywhere. I'm sort of anal when it comes to keeping my toys looking new. I was considering councelling for it but they get 120 bucks and hour, I'll just buy more clear tape

Re: Axle standards 1 year, 8 months ago #43646

I have one of these www.amclassic.com/en/products/components/10mm-quick-release.php and one of these www.dtswiss.com/Components/RWS/RWS-Thru-bolt-en for my American Classic MTB Race wheel set.
Opinions are like pimples, they vary in amount and cover different areas.

There is no or, you're going to lose it.

Re: Axle standards 1 year, 8 months ago #43647

bennymack wrote:
I have one of these www.amclassic.com/en/products/components/10mm-quick-release.php and one of these www.dtswiss.com/Components/RWS/RWS-Thru-bolt-en for my American Classic MTB Race wheel set.

I've always used DT Swiss for the 10mm and the 9mm. I love the ratcheting lever for tightening. I don't think I'd use use anything else and that's saying a lot because I'm very picky about my bike stuff. Thanks E bay

Mojo

Re: Axle standards 1 year, 7 months ago #43702

If you really want to add stiffness where it counts, get carbon wheels. Specialized carbon wheels use dt hubs that come with axle adapters in most of the popular sizes. Lifetime warranty, 240 pound weight limit.
Offen Krash

Re: Axle standards 1 year, 1 month ago #44371

axle standards are alot like wheel/bar/pedal/tire sizes/standards its mostly preference and riding type/style

anything more than pure xc riding can benefit from thru axle frames/wheels. i have a 20mm/135x12TA on my am bike and a 20mm/150mm of the dh bike. if i were to build another am bike i'd still run a TA in the rear, but probably a 142 or 135 x 10. no need for 15 or 17mm bearings and the associated weight penalty or cost of hubs. I would probably never switch the 20mm for DH use, but for an AM bike i think a 15mm is sufficient for 26/27.5 wheels, but 29" wheels i would keep the 20mm, theres alot of flex on the tall bikes.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds

Loading feeds...

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.