• Twitter: wnymba
  • YouTube: wnymbavideo
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

650B vs 29er
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 650B vs 29er

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 6 months ago #44040

The 29r and the 650b are the sizes for the future for sure. Either one of the sizes depending on the terrain and what you plan on doing. My next bike for rougher racing is going to be a 650b full squish. Along side that will stay my hardtail 29r.

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 5 months ago #44138

6" travel 650B Heckler, with a rear thru axle and tapered head tube...........now they've got my attention.

www.dirtragmag.com/webrag/oh-there%E2%80%99s-one-more-thing%E2%80%A6-new-santa-cruz-heckler
The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 4 months ago #44202

26" is the past.....and future of mountain biking.
The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 4 months ago #44203

The future? What is your thought on that?
lowly shop broom pusher since 2000

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 4 months ago #44205

I think about this every time I ride.

The way I see it, the only thing larger wheels are good for is:

- slightly improved traction
- better ability to roll over obstacles

On most, if not all trails, 95% of the surface is smooth. So the advantage of being able to roll over things only comes into play once in a while.

Even on the most slippery roots, I never have any issues with traction on 26" wheels. Learn how to hit the roots the right way.

Now, factor in the disadvantages of clown wheels:

- no rigidity in the wheel
- heavier
- they don't like tight turns

Bigger wheels might be better for extra tall riders, or people who are new to riding trails, but I think most advanced level riders will have more fun on 26.

(this comes from a guy who has owned one 29'er and two 650B's, and is now back on 26 for good)
Last Edit: 1 year, 4 months ago by kb voodoo.

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 4 months ago #44207

I don't disagree. But I don't see the majority of brands supporting 26. It might be left to the boutique brands.
lowly shop broom pusher since 2000

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 4 months ago #44208

indigo22 wrote:
I don't disagree. But I don't see the majority of brands supporting 26. It might be left to the boutique brands.

That would actually be fine with me. I'm really only interested in those companies anyway.

My next build: Pivot Mach 4 or 5.7 (haven't decided yet).

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 4 months ago #44216

indigo22 wrote:

You need 29" wheels.

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 4 months ago #44222

It would be cool if someone made a 24.5" wheeled bike.

Long travel (6"-8"), slack head tube angle.

You'd have stiffer, lighter wheels. Quick as lightning acceleration and razor sharp handing, especially in tight turns.

It would be a jumping machine too.

Don't forget, the top of the line Honda motocross bike has a 19" rear wheel, and a 21" front wheel.

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 4 months ago #44223

Scott is virtually abandoning 26" for 2014, leaving it only to dh, freeride, dj and entry level mountain bikes.
www.bikemag.com/gear/scott-sports-bets-big-on-bigger-wheel-sizes/

And specialized has eliminated 26" from the 2014 Stumpjumper FSR line except for one model. They are also ignoring 650B.
www.pinkbike.com/news/Specialized-2014-Trail-Bikes-camber-stumpjumper.html

I didn't think much of the comment about 26" going away at first but it seems to be happening.

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 4 months ago #44224

Garick wrote:
Scott is virtually abandoning 26" for 2014, leaving it only to dh, freeride, dj and entry level mountain bikes.
www.bikemag.com/gear/scott-sports-bets-big-on-bigger-wheel-sizes/

And specialized has eliminated 26" from the 2014 Stumpjumper FSR line except for one model. They are also ignoring 650B.
www.pinkbike.com/news/Specialized-2014-Trail-Bikes-camber-stumpjumper.html

I didn't think much of the comment about 26" going away at first but it seems to be happening.

I feel like decisions like that are being made based strictly on sales and what the current trends are. But I'm sure they're making money, so good for them.

Re: 650B vs 29er 1 year, 4 months ago #44225

You could also buy one of those Honda Motocross bikes for about 1/2 of the price for that S-works Carbon Camber.

The price of bikes is getting crazy. 29 or 26 inch.
  • Lucas
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds

Loading feeds...

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.